Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how would you/do you feel about living near a railroad?
I live where I can hear trains pass but it doesn't bother me at all 33 57.89%
I live where I can hear trains pass, and am occasionally bothered by the noise 7 12.28%
I don't live within earshot of a train, but I don't think I would be bothered by it 4 7.02%
I don't live within earshot of a train, and would not want to b/c of the noise 12 21.05%
Other 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 AM

162 posts, read 886,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
not sure where to put this one, if the mods think it would fit better somewhere else, feel free to move it.

the closest i've ever lived to a railroad before was 2-3 miles, and it was kind of neat to hear the far-away horn. but now i live about 4 blocks distance from one and am still getting used to it.
the amtracks whooshing by are not a problem, but some of the freight trains that go by during the night can really be annoying; some of those guys really honk on that horn at 4 in the morning
then there are others that come through really slowly but make quite a racket with a ton of clanking and creaking. but i have talked to some neighbors that are much closer to the racket than i am and they claim not to be bothered by it - whether this is really true, or if they're just putting a happy face on the situation, i don't know.
The train tracks by my house are literally about half a block away and truthfully, after 5 years I don't even hear the noise most of the time. Every now and then I notice it. It's like the siren that blows at 9:30 every night, I may notice it once every few weeks. You really do get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 08:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I lived a few blocks from a train track and seriously did not notice it after awhile. I think a train only went by 3 times a day/night and it's true that you will adjust and sleep through anything. The freeway was also right across the stree from my house (you could see the tops of the biggest truck zip by when looking between the houses that backed up to it). I didn't notice that either.

I did visit a condo complex once that was SO CLOSE to train tracks that the walls shook. I don't think I could ever get used to that.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 14,169 times
We live near the tracks in Austin and when we moved in I didn't mind it and got to like it ... THEN Chief of Police rode the train through Austin and saw how many people walk and ride over the tracks and had them blow there horns louder and longer and now I hate the sound!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:59 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
For ten years I lived a few hundred feet away from tracks that had many trains every day but the only one that ever bothered me was the one about dinner time 7pm, now I live about 1,000 feet away from tracks but there are only a couple a day and none of them bother me.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:44 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,392,708 times
I live about 10 houses away from a train that passes through a few times a day (within a 24 hour period). You can hear the rail cars bustling along in the distance but they never blow the horn. So, after just a few days of living here, I stopped noticing when the train passes through.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:49 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I live above some train tracks about a mile away that carries a coal train several times a day. I love hearing the train whistle echo around the valley here.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:54 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
I use to live 3 lanes of vehicular traffic away from the subway and freight train tracks. The first day I moved in I thought I had made a bad mistake of purchasing the house. After a few months I never thought about it again. When I moved 5 blocks away, I never realized how quiet the neighborhood really could be.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I never realized how quiet the neighborhood really could be.
Like people that have always lived in the city, if they go to the country, at night it is either "I can't sleep it is too quiet" OR "Do those damn bugs ever shut up?". But the sounds of nature are much quieter than the city sounds they have become used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House