Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:07 AM

193 posts, read 541,988 times

Advertisements

Old post, but I'm wondering how this turned out. Op, you still around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 03:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,685,516 times
I have had prefinished hardwoord installed 3 times (glued to concrete) and never any filler/putty used.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,263,596 times
If as you've said you have repeatedly run swiffer over it, are you keeping it wet?? Sounds like a mess. I'd take pics, and call them to ask what they can do to remedy this. Also, call another comapny for an estimate. Then demand the refund from the original floor installers. Or, take them to court...w/ your demand letter, the bill paid for redoing this section and get your money that way.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,184,498 times
I would have never allowed my floors to be installed with nails on top. They should have been installed with the nails on the sides, not visibly seen from above. It truly does sound like your installers didn't know how to install hardwood flooring.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,203,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2005 View Post
Old post, but I'm wondering how this turned out. Op, you still around?

These were the last posts from the OP, which was almost a year ago.
Try a DM if you really gotta know-

Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 PM

193 posts, read 541,988 times
I'm quite aware they haven't posted anything new. Ever hear of lurking?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
Sheesh, now not only are people getting their panties in a twist about people actually posting on old posts (as City-Data encourages), they're getting them in a twist about people asking for updates on an old post! Now, THAT's annoying!

Old 09-04-2016, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,693 times
Default Filling gaps on prefinished flooring

This is a very old thread, but I was asked to comment on this. The original post asked about the filler that the installer had put into the cracks of a prefinished hardwood floor and days later was still staining their white socks. The owner of the floor theorized that the installer had put the filler in to make it look better. It seemed to be oil based. The owner had put some Bona on it immmediately, which spread the color around.

To catch you up on prefinished hardwood floor installation, the hardwood has about five coats of clear finish on it, the edges have a micro bevel, and if it is real wood it varies slightly in thickness and width. A skilled installer can work with the variations and get very tight seams, so that when you stand on the floor and look down you can't see anything unsightly. But if you get down and look at it closely, you will notice hairline gaps in some places. You aren't supposed to look at it so close; you're supposed to walk on it and enjoy. But there will be some places where the wood variation creates gaps that could use a little help.

Installers use soft putty to make the gaps less noticeable. It is usually oil based and tinted to match the floor. It is applied with a finger and rubbed into the crack only and packed down with a toothpick, then the surface is buffed clean. Some kinds of putty, like Jasco, dry hard in a few days. Others, like Color Putty, take longer to dry; but since it is below the walking surface, it usually isn't a problem. But if you wash it up with something and spread the color around on the surface, it is a problem. This is apparently what happened.

Since it was years ago, this particular floor has undoubtedly been resolved. But there are readers who are searching for ideas about filling gaps on prefinished flooring, and those who don't know what to do with oil-based putty that the installer put into the gaps.

Soft oil-based putty in the gaps of a prefinished floor is optional. The gaps will eventually fill with dirt and become less crisp-looking if they aren't filled with putty. And even putty will get dirty after a while. If you do opt for putty, I recommend Jasco or the equivalent because it will eventually get somewhat hard and dirt resistant. I do not recommend any lacquer-type putty or even water-based putty that dries hard immediately and doesn't remain somewhat pliable. When putty is used, the floor should not be cleaned with anything but a slightly damp towel for the first month or so. In fact, a prefinished hardwood floor doesn't need any chemical cleaner on it, ever.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,453 times
Unhappy putty

[quote=Bass101;21777888]We recently had pre-finished hardwood floors installed profesionally. At the end of installation, the installers put down wood putty to fill in the gaps between some boards that were not fully flush and to cover the nail holes. I'd estimate that they put down this putty over 10% of the floor boards.

The putty does not seem to be drying at all, and it's been several days. We have thoroughly cleaned the floor with Bona floor cleaner, we have Swiffered at least 10 times, we have also hand-cleaned it with paper towels and have wiped up as much surface putty as possible. Additionally, we took a toothpick and removed as much putty as we could from in between the boards.

Despite these efforts, the problem is that when we walk on these new floors in white socks, our socks are still stained orange from the wood putty. Our Swiffer continues to bring up lots of putty bits despite several cleanings already. When we wear white socks and rub the sock along the groove, there are large stains from the putty appearing on the sock. Our carpets are getting stained from this wood putty and we are concerned about our animals ingesting this stuff from walking on the wood floors as well.

Will this wood putty ever dry? Our installer said it would take a few days for the putty to dry, however, it's been a few days and it is not dry. Additionally, some research online has shown that wood putty does not ever fully dry. Is this true? Did our installer ruin our wood floors?

And is wood putty normal protocol for pre-finished wood floors?

This is not normal. Make the installer come back and remove the putty. The flooring should interlock and not need putty. Sounds like a bad job to me. If they will not make it right --take them to court.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,805,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A M Jordan View Post

This is not normal. Make the installer come back and remove the putty. The flooring should interlock and not need putty. Sounds like a bad job to me. If they will not make it right --take them to court.
The installer will not come back, now that almost FIVE YEARS have passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House