Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,112 times

Advertisements

Looking to remodel a kitchen in a home Im purchasing. Want a 6 burner range. Has anyone ever owned a wolfe or viking ? Are they worth the money? I have a jenn air now and its a POS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 02:05 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
The only other names that have come up from clients are:
BlueStarâ„¢ - Manufacturer of Pro-Style Ranges, Cooktops, Wall Ovens, Vent Hoods, and Cookware
DCS Appliances - Ranges, Cooktops, Ovens & Gas Grills : DCS Ranges

I probably had more requests for Viking- and that was probably more from brand recognition than anything else. My understanding is DCS make a very good range- those that have them swear by them. And are extremely reliable.
Also, keep in mind that there is a difference between commercial and "commercial-type" ranges. Actual commercial ranges usually require larger gas-lines, don't have the same level of insulation in them- making a kitchen extremely warm. And can devastating circumstances if a fire claim is made.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:23 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
K'ledgeBldr hits some good points. I would give high marks to BlueStar, they use the designs of the famed Garland commercial range with the requiste insulation and safety features to make them a very good option. They offer a HUGE range of colors / finishes and configurations for every imaginable style. Great product

The Thermador line is quite popular and I believe they are part of the Bosch family of companies. Quite nice.

The big French firms LaCanche and LaCorneau are interesting options in the higher end. Priced like "exotics"...

Aga has either "modernized" their line or "lost their roots" depending on your point of view, but the look is unique.

I would avoid the Italian ranges. Or make friends with an important parts dealer than can translate...

Wolf is part of SubZero and makes a nice product, a bit better than Viking for very similar money, but like Viking it is hard to really say they offer more features / function for the money and you are kind paying a huge premium for something that ends being 90% ++ looks...

Old 11-23-2011, 05:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
I have a propane fed Viking cooktop in the 4 burner + grill style. I chose to go this route instead of the combo range/oven because of the reviews I'd read of the ovens requiring more service. Consider service, your location, and how easily or difficult it will be to get a knowledgeable or certified repair person. Personally I would have loved to have gone with Thermador but there was no way to get it serviced in my area.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:32 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,112,694 times
Just had to add that I agree with both K'ledge and Chet above. Add Bluestar, DCS and Thermador to your list.

The "new" Wolf ranges are not quite as robust as the older Wolf ranges. Still nice, but not of the old "commercial quality" they were once know for. Go look at them in person if you can and you will see what I mean.

Viking is a trusted name brand and good for resale. Is it the best for everyday cooking? The debate rages on.

You can google "36" ranges" for more, much more. I like chowhound and gardenweb personally, although be warned that those peeps can be very very passionate about their cooking appliances.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,298 times
Look into Thermador as well.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:25 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,134 times
I have a 5 year old Viking that has been nothing but trouble. Always a small part that costs $20 but the service call is $150. Next time I'll go with Wolf. If you really want perspective call the service guy in your area and ask him what he thinks is the best range.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 PM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
I have an American Range. I love it. It's super well built, the aesthetics and build quality are amazing, and I've had no issues so far. It is up there with Wolf in looks IMO. Cool blue LED's indicate burners are on, too.

The Bluestar is a really nice stove, very powerful - but the aesthetics and build quality leave a bit to be desired. The American Range is more than enough power for my needs, personally. The powerful burners on high are HOT and were more than enough to do some awesome woking. Bluestar was my first choice, but I found a deal on a barley used American Range that I couldn't pass up. No regrets whatsoever.

Wolf are solid, but very expensive. Viking is a big brand and I think because of that, you hear more horror stories. There's just as many people that are 100% happy with them. That said, they have more issues than some of the boutique brands it seems.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:53 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Looking to remodel a kitchen in a home Im purchasing. Want a 6 burner range. Has anyone ever owned a wolfe or viking ? Are they worth the money? I have a jenn air now and its a POS.
My wife's ideal kitchen would have a wet bar, ice maker, nothing that cooks, and takeout menues posted all over the walls....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House