Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:25 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times

Advertisements

I know that we have some pretty savvy folks out here that use these things quite frequently and have a very good idea about their reliability. Therefore, based on your experience, which air compressor would get for work around the house regardless of the price ... the Bostitch or the Porter cable? Also, which one do you think is a better deal in the long term .. see link?

Shop Bostitch 2" Brad Nailer and Compressor Air Tool Kit at Lowes.com

C2005 6-Gallon Portable Electric Air Compressor-C2005 at The Home Depot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:35 AM

232 posts, read 1,030,739 times
Both are similar in feature/function. Each with 6 gallon tank, 150PSI max. Bostitch comes with the nailer and PorterCable is just the tank so depending on if you need the nailer or not you can decide to go with either or. PC is 109, Bostitch is 169.

I personally prefer Porter Cable to Bostitch.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crifever View Post
Both are similar in feature/function. Each with 6 gallon tank, 150PSI max. Bostitch comes with the nailer and PorterCable is just the tank so depending on if you need the nailer or not you can decide to go with either or. PC is 109, Bostitch is 169.

I personally prefer Porter Cable to Bostitch.
Do you know if Porter Cable is made by a know tool maker? I know that Stanley makes the Bostitch.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:48 AM

232 posts, read 1,030,739 times
I believe Porter Cable is made by Stanley as well. Stanley itself is owned by Black and Decker....all apples of the same tree.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:36 AM

226 posts, read 760,650 times
Check this out....... DEWALT DC608K 18V Cordless XRPâ„¢ 5-8-in - 2-in Brad Nailer Kit

Old 11-26-2011, 06:54 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Therefore, based on your experience, which air compressor would get for work around the house regardless of the price ... the Bostitch or the Porter cable?
My hubby has two for different uses, a Husky and a Craftsman. He recommend one like the Campbell-Hausfeld with 5 different tools at Lowes for $150. He says get the one with the tools you will need- nailer, paint-sprayer, whatever. Longterm durablility doesn't matter that much if you are a typical homeowner using it a few times a year, but would if you were a contractor.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crifever View Post
I believe Porter Cable is made by Stanley as well. Stanley itself is owned by Black and Decker....all apples of the same tree.

Actually, PC is a stand alone company- a subsidiary of Stanley Black & Decker today. The company has been bounced around, sold, and acquired a few times. Used to be a part of Rockwell, Delta machine tools, Pentair, and now Stanley Black & Decker- STILL MADE IN THE USofA!
For a home type compressor the main thing to look for is portability and oil-less pump. Which pretty much comprises the "pancake" versions. These compressors are great for trimwork when coupled with finish nailers, brad nailers, and crown staplers. They really aren't designed for framing nailers but, can sufficiently handle the duty if given time to recover.
Although PC is actually rather new to the airtool market (2002)- I personally prefer PC finish guns to other manufacturers because of feel and ease of operation.
Word of note- stay away from Campbell-Hausfeld Chinese junk.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
I was shopping for the exact same thing about a year ago. Looking for a light-duty air compressor for pumping up car and bike tires, blowing off the tractor after use, blowing up the kiddie-pool and sport balls, light duty nailing, etc. I ended up buying this guy:

Makita USA - Tool Details - MAC2400

I've been very happy with it so far.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Actually, PC is a stand alone company- a subsidiary of Stanley Black & Decker today. The company has been bounced around, sold, and acquired a few times. Used to be a part of Rockwell, Delta machine tools, Pentair, and now Stanley Black & Decker- STILL MADE IN THE USofA!
For a home type compressor the main thing to look for is portability and oil-less pump. Which pretty much comprises the "pancake" versions. These compressors are great for trimwork when coupled with finish nailers, brad nailers, and crown staplers. They really aren't designed for framing nailers but, can sufficiently handle the duty if given time to recover.
Although PC is actually rather new to the airtool market (2002)- I personally prefer PC finish guns to other manufacturers because of feel and ease of operation.
Word of note- stay away from Campbell-Hausfeld Chinese junk.
The nailer would just be a bonus or good to have on hand around the house. My main thing is the compressor. I think the Bostitch is also Stanley.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:31 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Other than what I mentioned previously, look for this-
Certification by ASME-the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. The ASME label will appear on the tank. All compressors do not have ASME certification. Only ASME certified compressors can be sold in some states.
Compressor tank failures have become more common. And not just old ones either. IR (Ingersol-Rand) had a rash of failures a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House