Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 05:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My neighbors just razed their 2000 sq ft home to build a 9000 sq ft home, not including pool house. Does that count? Oh...it's on one acre. (9000 on 2 acres wouldn't faze me.)

To quote a neighbor "it's vulgar!" LOL My children refer to it as "The Castle."

It's a custom home done by a great architect (we actually met with him for some work on our home), but this home is not typical of his style. This home is more Post Modern Victorian, while the architect is known for his Hamptons style. Rumor has it the husband is very particular about what he wants and is on the "showy" side.

I just keep watching for the details...like what kind of siding, stonework, etc.. (I hate it when they build million dollar plus homes and use vinyl siding!)
I don't think a custom home designed by an architect qualifies as a McMansion even if you think its vulgar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't think a custom home designed by an architect qualifies as a McMansion even if you think its vulgar.
Guess it doesn't count then. And for the record, I didn't state it was vulgar.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't think a custom home designed by an architect qualifies as a McMansion...

Regardless of who/what designed the home it CAN be a McMansion by definition- those 5-6k+sq/ft homes that are in-fills in well established neighborhoods of 1100-1300sq/ft homes that are 30+ yrs older.

As I have stated numerous times before- if the whole development is 5-6k+sq/ft homes I believe you'd have a hard time qualifying those as McMansions.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:08 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
As I have stated numerous times before- if the whole development is 5-6k+sq/ft homes
I believe you'd have a hard time qualifying those as McMansions.
Be careful of that or you risk being called a self appointed arbiter.
In any case, others hold to more broad definitions of the term.
The most common denominators seem to be house size vs lot size...
and house size vs number of occupants (that sf/person thing again).

hth

Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
...others hold to more broad definitions of the term.
The most common denominators seem to be house size vs lot size...

Well that certainly flies in the face of what is actually possible- Builders don't set the "limits" of "usable" space. The city and/or county commissioners, land planners do. If a developer wants to develop a piece of land those aforementioned individuals will ultimately set the density (number of units), and the building lines (the setbacks within the property lines one can build). From there developers will set "minimum" sq/ft. and other quality standards for units.
So, if I have a .25 acre lot which equates to 10,890sq/ft. and the area that's within the building lines nets me half of that- I could potentially build a 10,000sq/ft 2 story home. What's to stop me, other than it's not what the market will bear, etc., etc. This is new construction for the most part.
Then on the infill scenario- everything is basically the same except for the fact that the homes on each side are dwarfed by the "10,000sq/ft" McMansion.

-rant
As far as the sq/ft per person thing- people who use this for an argument are tree hugging democrats that also believe that the redistribution of wealth will afford them the same house- or will put everyone else in their 1100sq/ft(or less) rambler. -rant over

Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Well that certainly flies in the face of what is actually possible...
You pose that straw man as if what was possible had anything to do with anything.

Quote:
What's to stop me...
good taste comes to mind.

Quote:
As far as the sq/ft per person thing- people who use this for an argument are tree hugging democrats...
Oh. I didn't realize this.
Thank you for clarifying the point.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:17 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
As far as the sq/ft per person thing- people who use this for an argument are tree hugging democrats that also believe that the redistribution of wealth will afford them the same house- or will put everyone else in their 1100sq/ft(or less) rambler. -rant over
We did very well in our 1000 square foot house when we were younger. Now, running a business out of it, and our hobbies (I quilt, hubby collects old Hollywood memorabilia, and buys and sells on Ebay) and pets, and getting older......

We need more room. And TWO bathrooms. At the very least a bath and a half. The next house will absolutely have more space and an open floor plan. I can also say it will be easier to clean, because now to clean properly I have to move the furniture all over.

I think a house should work for the people who are buying it. If it doesn't work, then it's not the right house.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
By most common definitions, McMansions are not situated in an area with smaller older houses but are all clustered together and crammed into a subdivision of lots that are too small for the size of the homes (in terms of aesthetic balance).

A large and pretentious house, typically
of shoddy construction, typical of "upscale" suburban developments in the late
20th and early 21st centuries. Such houses
are characterized by steep roofs of complex design, theatrical entrances, lack of stylistic integrity and backsides which are notably less fussy than their fronts. They are often placed closely together to maximize the developer's profits and appeal to people who value perceived social status over actual, physical, economic or historic value.

A slang term that describes a large, opulent house that may be generic in style and represents a goodvalue for a homebuyer in terms of its size. This type of home is built to provide middle and/or upper middle class homeowners with the luxurious housing experience that was previously only available to high-net-worth individuals.

The McMansion term is as a play on McDonald's fast food restaurants, as these homes also represent the pervasiveness and excessive consumption that critics often associate with Mcdonalds

McMansion is a pejorative term for a large new house which is judged as pretentious, tasteless, or badly designed for its neighborhood. Alternately, a McMansion is a large house in a sub-division of similarly large houses, which all seem mass produced and lacking distinguishing characteristics, and at variance with established local architecture.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:57 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
By most common definitions, McMansions are not situated in an area with smaller older houses but are all clustered together and crammed into a subdivision of lots that are too small for the size of the homes (in terms of aesthetic balance).

A large and pretentious house, typically
of shoddy construction, typical of "upscale" suburban developments in the late
20th and early 21st centuries. Such houses
are characterized by steep roofs of complex design, theatrical entrances, lack of stylistic integrity and backsides which are notably less fussy than their fronts. They are often placed closely together to maximize the developer's profits and appeal to people who value perceived social status over actual, physical, economic or historic value.

A slang term that describes a large, opulent house that may be generic in style and represents a goodvalue for a homebuyer in terms of its size. This type of home is built to provide middle and/or upper middle class homeowners with the luxurious housing experience that was previously only available to high-net-worth individuals.

The McMansion term is as a play on McDonald's fast food restaurants, as these homes also represent the pervasiveness and excessive consumption that critics often associate with Mcdonalds

McMansion is a pejorative term for a large new house which is judged as pretentious, tasteless, or badly designed for its neighborhood. Alternately, a McMansion is a large house in a sub-division of similarly large houses, which all seem mass produced and lacking distinguishing characteristics, and at variance with established local architecture.
Yeah, then by this description/explanation my neighbor doesn't qualify as having a McMansion.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Yeah, then by this description/explanation my neighbor doesn't qualify as having a McMansion.
Still, I'm going to be a projecting arbitrator and surmise that a 9000 s.f post-modern Victorian sounds positively ghastly, at least to me (and to at least one of the neighbors).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House