U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:21 PM

1,681 posts, read 2,824,034 times

Advertisements

Last January we bought a nice antique chair supposedly from China.

A couple of months ago, I noticed a pile of what looked like sand under the chair. Since I had just been at the beach, I wrote it off to sand.

Yesterday, I noticed that same pile of sand under the chair again. This time I was concerned, as I had not been to the beach nor was anything on that chair that could have yielded sand. Extremely small. we took pics & then blew them up & saw something that initially scared us - it looked like bedbug eggs. We searched high & low for any sign of bedbugs, but found nothing. We kept researching, however, and found an exact match for what we found on our floor - termite droppings. We cleaned it up, but about a half hour later, there were a few more droppings under the chair. We put the chair out on our balcony for now, and plan to exterminate the bugs somehow.

We live in a highrise, so the balcony was really the only place to put it away from the inside the apartment for now.

The chair has been sitting on a newly installed engineered hardwood floor.

We have seen no other evidence of termites - not a single bug, no wings, etc.
No tracks on the chair either.

WOrried that there could be termites in the floor. Can a high quality engineered hardwood floor get termites?

WIll termites be able to get back into our apartment, across stone balcony floor?

What is best way to treat the chair?

Wondering if this is something I should mention to the Condo's maintenance guy. It was isolated into a specific area of our bedroom, and as I said, no evidence of swarming.

I guess if I had a choice of bedbugs or termites, I'd vote for termites.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 09:22 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,025,465 times
Throw it out.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:25 PM

20,418 posts, read 42,654,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Throw it out.
agreed!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 PM

3,489 posts, read 18,840,814 times
Throw it away. Termites have to go back to ground for moisture. It may not be termites, but throw it away anyway.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 PM

733 posts, read 4,476,405 times
Perhaps burning it up might be better than just tossing it in the trash. If those are termites [or some other unpleasant oriental insect import] better to kill the little buggers off than let them find a nice foot hold in the landfill...and spread out to cause bigger trouble!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 PM

21,010 posts, read 62,934,616 times
Oh fer Pete sake. They can be easily killed. You can spray starting fluid directly into the holes in the chair, or find someplace that you can use like a kiln to heat the chair up to over 160 for a few hours. Any exterminator should be able to help you out otherwise.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:26 AM

3,702 posts, read 17,362,085 times
Probably wood bores. Very common in antique furniture and stuff I've gotten from auction houses. They can be treated. Most effective way I've found is to find a friend who has a commercial walk in freezer (I use my own deep freeze for smaller stuff) and leave it there for a week or two. There are also chemical treatments. Ask an antique auction house, they know how to deal withese critters.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:25 PM

29,728 posts, read 72,343,113 times
If they are termites they are easy to kill. If they are wood worms, they are very difficult to get rid of. Probably wood worms. Wood worms commonly infest antique furniture imported from Europe.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:32 PM

32,524 posts, read 34,292,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Oh fer Pete sake. They can be easily killed. You can spray starting fluid directly into the holes in the chair,
Like automobile starting fluid? Hmmm... I did not know that. Interesting.

I buy the termite spray for small jobs. Works like a charm. Spray it into the holes and leave it outside for a day. (I don't like to breath the fumes.)

Old 12-05-2011, 03:46 PM

21,010 posts, read 62,934,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Like automobile starting fluid? Hmmm... I did not know that. Interesting.

I buy the termite spray for small jobs. Works like a charm. Spray it into the holes and leave it outside for a day. (I don't like to breath the fumes.)
My neighbor, who is a retired woodworker, tipped me on to that. The starting fluid doesn't leave a residue. Obviously, it is highly flammable and should be used outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House