Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 AM

136 posts, read 192,983 times

Advertisements

Tenant moved out and left an old, dirty mat attached to the tub floor. When I removed it, it peeled off an area of enamel of about 8" x 8" plus some smaller areas. It looks pretty ugly. I really would like to avoid having to re-glaze the tub. Is there an easy and inexpensive way of repairing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:12 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,535,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Explorer View Post
Tenant moved out and left an old, dirty mat attached to the tub floor. When I removed it, it peeled off an area of enamel of about 8" x 8" plus some smaller areas. It looks pretty ugly. I really would like to avoid having to re-glaze the tub. Is there an easy and inexpensive way of repairing this?
Porcelain does not peel. It was already worn and old before the tenants got there. Don't just blame them so you can justify keeping their deposit because if they challenge you in court they will beat you.

There are porcelain repair companies out there in most major cities who come to your home or business. They can just repair specific areas. If you can not find one that advertises then it's because they only cater to businesses. From there you need to visit your local apartment complex and ask who they use because they all use these repair guys all the time. Hopefully you know a Leasing Agent will take the time to help you with that information.

Good luck

Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 PM

863 posts, read 2,982,612 times
Years ago I damaged my kitchen sink and got a huge chip in the edge. I had it repaired and it was invisible for several years, as it aged you could clearly see it. Just remember its a repair.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:42 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,083,186 times
Sounds like the tub had already been reglazed which I say loosely, it sounds like it had that spray crap put it on it. That is the only way a tub is going to peel. Chipping is a whole other thing. Either have the tub resprayed and or replace it for the same cost and get a lot more years out of it.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:12 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
You can buy a temprorary patch kit. It works ok but does nto last that long and it is obvious. Eventually you will hve to get it re-glazed if it is glazed. It sounds like you might have a painted on surface.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM

61,197 posts, read 86,065,277 times
I bet the repaired spot will have completely different color than the rest of the tub. Re-glazing it would be a better option and better spent money for the long haul.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:39 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I bet the repaired spot will have completely different color than the rest of the tub. Re-glazing it would be a better option and better spent money for the long haul.
Absolutely, but the spot repair kit costs about $12 and reglazing about $300. You will eventually need to spent the $300 anyway, but if you do nto ahve it right now, the spot repair makes a tepmporary solution until you have the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House