Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:57 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times

Advertisements

So, back in our grandparents' and great grandparents' day, asbestos was the new miracle building material. It would barely burn, and was a good insulator. Years later, we found out how dangerous the crap is when disturbed, etc.

So, what are they putting/building into new homes today that will become the new enviromental and health hazard of tomorrow? Any thoughts????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Asbestos was and is a great material for many products. The problem is that it is dangerous to make the products. They could have made the manufacturing process safe and continued to use aesbestos with no problems but it was more fun and more beneficial to lawyers and remediation people to create a panic. If they still made asbestos products in some other country and did not endanger workers doing it, I would buy flooring, and insulation without a second thought.

So the issue is not what product is going to turn out to be dangerous, as much as what product are the fear mongers going to target to create a hype? My guess is granite counters. They already tried to make a hype about radon coming out of them. Maybe they will come up with something better.

In order to properly fear monger, they have to find something that is widely used so they can panic a large number of people. The product also must have some real health risk to it in some manner. Fear Mongering only works if you exaggerate the risk, not if you make it up entirely. Mold is a good example. One type of mold out of hundreds is toxic for most people and a few people are severely allegergic to any mold. This made it easy to blow it up into a big panic and milks millions out of homeowners to combat this great menace. They are very quiet about the fact that mold is naturally occurring and it exists everywhere regardless of what you do. Since there is some real danger from some molds it was easy to blow it up so that everyone panics and calls expensive remdiators at the first sign of mold.

It is hard to guess what will be next. granite? carpeting? laminate flooring? stainless steel? The will certainly find something. they always do.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Asbestos was and is a great material for many products. The problem is that it is dangerous to make the products. They could have made the manufacturing process safe and continued to use aesbestos with no problems but it was more fun and more beneficial to lawyers and remediation people to create a panic. If they still made asbestos products in some other country and did not endanger workers doing it, I would buy flooring, and insulation without a second thought.

So the issue is not what product is going to turn out to be dangerous, as much as what product are the fear mongers going to target to create a hype? My guess is granite counters. They already tried to make a hype about radon coming out of them. Maybe they will come up with something better.

In order to properly fear monger, they have to find something that is widely used so they can panic a large number of people. The product also must have some real health risk to it in some manner. Fear Mongering only works if you exaggerate the risk, not if you make it up entirely. Mold is a good example. One type of mold out of hundreds is toxic for most people and a few people are severely allegergic to any mold. This made it easy to blow it up into a big panic and milks millions out of homeowners to combat this great menace. They are very quiet about the fact that mold is naturally occurring and it exists everywhere regardless of what you do. Since there is some real danger from some molds it was easy to blow it up so that everyone panics and calls expensive remdiators at the first sign of mold.

It is hard to guess what will be next. granite? carpeting? laminate flooring? stainless steel? The will certainly find something. they always do.
Pressure treated pine.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Pressure treated pine.
Could be. That would be a good one for panic purposes.

They tried that with the older stuff. "It has arsenic in it! (Panic panic). Of course so does the ground. And so does your food which is grown in the ground. They did not seem to get very far with the arsenic panic attempt, but I think that they no longer use arsenic in treated lumber. Maybe whatever they used instead will provide the basis for a nice panic.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:54 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"So, what are they putting/building into new homes today that will become the new enviromental and health hazard of tomorrow? Any thoughts????"

People. Uneducated and uninformed people.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
[quote=Coldjensens;22004439]. They could have made the manufacturing process safe and continued to use aesbestos with no problems but it was more fun and more beneficial to lawyers and remediation people to create a panic. If they still made asbestos products in some other country and did not endanger workers doing it, I would buy flooring, and insulation without a second thought. quote]

Obviously you have never seen someone with Asbestosis die in front of you as I have.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Mercury.
So many home thermostats and CFLs contain this.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:19 PM

[quote=whirnot;22011365]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
. They could have made the manufacturing process safe and continued to use aesbestos with no problems but it was more fun and more beneficial to lawyers and remediation people to create a panic. If they still made asbestos products in some other country and did not endanger workers doing it, I would buy flooring, and insulation without a second thought. quote]

Obviously you have never seen someone with Asbestosis die in front of you as I have.
No. I understand it is horrible. There are a lot of horrible ways that people die. Some I have seen some I have not. However that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I woudl buy a good product if it is safely made without risk to the workers (which it can be) and poses not realistic health threat to me or my family (which it does not).

It is a horrible disease, but if you cannot get it from asbestos in your home, it is of no relevance that it is a horrible disease for some factory workers, miners, and mechanics who breathe heavy clouds of dust for years and years (which is how you get it, not from walking on a floor in your home). As I said, I would only buy it if they could make it without endagnering workers. It is actually very easy to make the manufacturing process safe. So if it does not endanger workers and does not pose a health threat in your home, why would you not buy it?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Mercury.

This makes sense. I did not realize that they still use in in thermostats. However it is unlikely to get released form there. CFLs are very likely. I have broken several of them inadvertently. How much mercury is in them? How serious is the danger from tiny amounts of mercury?

Are you suggesting this as the next thing to actually pose a danger, or the nest subject of hype?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Mercury.
I think we have more problems with mercury in our fish, not our light bulbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House