Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times

Advertisements

I have a relatively old gas burner that we decided not to upgrade when we built a 2nd story last year (budget). The general contractor said we'd get a few more years out of it but the plumber said it may be only through the summer that has just passed. While the thing seems to still be running fine early this winter, I was wondering if it's a good idea to get a service contract on it - if it even exists - I was told they do. But I called LIPA (power authority) and they mentioned they don't do that themselves. Would a service contract even be beneficial, because if the thing fails (was told they're simplistic by design), I'm wondering what a guy can do other than replace the whole thing for about $5k anyway.

Anyone have experience with this type of stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 05:38 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
The value of having a "service contract" on older heating plants is MOSTLY to the contractor -- you are locking ONE firm in for service calls. If the cost of PARTS from that firm is higher than other firms you are essentially signing up to be "worked over"...

I would simply budget for a new unit. With a little smart shopping and a firm that is hungry to cut a deal you can often save half off the list price.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
I agree, the service contract mainly benefits the contractor. Contractor love them, guaranteed income. My Geothermal system contractor wanted to charge me $200 a year for a service contract where they came out once a year to check the unit and priority service in the event of an emergency. The problem I have with this is a new system shouldn't require maintenance for several years, other then replacing the air filters every 3 months. I say save you money, and call someone if your system fails one cold night, rather than be locked into a service contract.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:12 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Most HVAC Service Contracts say we will come out a few times a year, inspect, clean, check, replace filters, etc. They do not say if the system fails/stops operating/need repair/needs parts/needs recharging (AC only), etc. we will repair and/or replace at no charge under the Service Contract.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:07 PM

302 posts, read 2,231,418 times
[quote=rh71;22046022]Would a service contract even be beneficial, because if the thing fails (was told they're simplistic by design), I'm wondering what a guy can do other than replace the whole thing for about $5k anyway.quote]Assuming it's a hot water boiler, most of the parts are generic and can be replaced. If the cast iron core develops a leak, time for a new boiler.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:07 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
As previously said, the service contract only benefits the providor. Start saving for a new system and shop around to get the best price. It will be cheaper and better to pay for a new system than to hope a service contract will nurse the system along.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:48 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Would a service contract even be beneficial, because if the thing fails (was told they're simplistic by design), I'm wondering what a guy can do other than replace the whole thing for about $5k anyway...

Anything can be fixed... that said, it all depends on if parts are available. For the mission critical servers we have at the FAA, we have 4 hour response time, but if they don't have the parts, best they can do and stand around and say yup, it's broke. The same would apply to a HVAC tech, if something fails, emergency service isn't going to help much if they have to wait for the supply store to open to get parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House