U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 02:27 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,703,816 times

Advertisements

My dogs pretty much hang out in my garage (they hate being inside!). I want to install a doggie door either on the main door on my garage or installing it by cutting into the house (siding).
Has anyone done either one of these?

I know theres a zero chance of re-selling my house with a doggie door installed on the side, so how hard would it be to replace the siding and having the hole closed if I decided to re-sell?

I'm planning on purchasing the "security" doggie door so only the dogs can come in and out...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 62,087,809 times
when you sell your home you can always replace it with drywall the size of the hole and get the siding that matches your home when that time comes.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:52 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,703,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
when you sell your home you can always replace it with drywall the size of the hole and get the siding that matches your home when that time comes.

See how much I know about construction/houses? lol
That makes sense.

I think it would be funny to see this huge Mastiff disappearing through the wall because people from the street wont be able to see the doggie door.
Oh the humor..lol.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:12 PM

3,976 posts, read 10,274,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
My dogs pretty much hang out in my garage (they hate being inside!). I want to install a doggie door either on the main door on my garage or installing it by cutting into the house (siding).
Has anyone done either one of these?

I know theres a zero chance of re-selling my house with a doggie door installed on the side, so how hard would it be to replace the siding and having the hole closed if I decided to re-sell?

I'm planning on purchasing the "security" doggie door so only the dogs can come in and out...
Fairly easy job for a contractor. I could repair a hole in a wall like that in a few hours(exterior siding/sheathing and interior sheetrock). Probably run you a few hundred bucks to repair it with labor/materials. (I am not offering lol)

Last edited by sacredgrooves; 08-29-2007 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-29-2007, 08:32 PM

345 posts, read 1,515,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post

i've never heard of this can you explain how the "security" part works??

Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 62,087,809 times
the security keeps unwanted critters from entering the home.

Some use magnets that you attach to the pet collar and when it near the pet door the magnet of the door releases the door so it will open.

The one I have
pet door allows you to control the access of your pets. When the SmartDoor is set to automatic mode, only your pet wearing the SmartKey can pass through the SmartDoor. The SmartDoor detects the SmartKey and unlocks automatically. After your pet passes through the SmartDoor, the dog door will relock automatically. Without the SmartKey, no other animals can pass through.

It also great for winter and my dog at first well I think she thought she was a kid she would go in then go out then come in then out LOL so I had to switch mode from automatic to closed. Her hitting the door in close mode was funny. Now she tests to see if i'm playing a joke on her by testing to see if it will open with her paw.

Just like training you have to get them use to it by taking them out and in and treats always do the trick.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,025,170 times
I don't know that having a dog door in your garage would be a negative when selling a house. How big are your dogs? When you do install the door, keep the siding that you cut away in case they can't find something to match it if you take the door out.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 AM

7,102 posts, read 25,984,707 times
You mentioned a Mastiff. A door big enough for one of them would be big enough for a good sized person or a child to wiggle through too. Be sure there would some way to lock it.

Of course, only an idiot would attempt to enter a house with that size dog nearby.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 14,302 times
Default doggie doors

Hi everyone, I live in Maine and have one large dog and two papillons. I want to install a door that all three can use. It would be through our office wall and they would be able to go out into their own fenced in area. My large is around 78 lbs..and my smallest is 4 lbs. I am thinking that maybe install the doggie door and then install a doggie HOUSE? to cut down on any winter air that may come in? Your thoughts would be wonderful! Anyone else have a doggie door in a cold wintery area like Maine??

Joyce

Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,878,089 times
I would make real sure that you could find matching siding and buy it before doing the job. Find some place to set it out so it can weather/fade like the existing siding.

I would also be concerned about water intrusion because you probably will be cutting through a vapor barrier. Could the Papillons actually push open the same door as the big dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House