Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 PM

78 posts, read 406,362 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are downsizing from 3 bedroom to 2 bedroom. Have guests a few times a year. Don't want to use the 2nd bedroom as a guest room only with a queen size bed and bedroom furniture since I'd like to use it as an office/craft room...but I still need to be able to sleep guests a few times a year.

I'm sure that there are some of you out there who also have this issue. What are you doing? My guests are used to having a separate room with lots of space. Can't do that anymore with this home. I need the room for an office and for the several crafts that I do. The 2nd bedroom is also very small . But I also want my guests to be comfortable. So...what is more comfortable. The day bed that has a trundle bed underneath? The sofa bed with some kind of foam thing that you put under the sheets? Or the blow up air mattress?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM

41,699 posts, read 74,645,479 times
I have a futon with a good-quality mattress in each spare room; the rooms double nicely as office/den when I have no guests. They're pretty comfy.

I have air mattresses, too; however, my 78-year-old mom can't get up from an air mattress! They're good for kids, and for people who are a little more limber than my mom.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,615,548 times
I understand.

Forget the air mattress. Been there, done that...end of story....LOL

Having had a sofa bed, futon, and a day bed (with a slide out from under trundle bed), I would say all will work quite well for a few days stay. The day bed/trundle pull out was more comfortable then the sofa bed or futon.

That said, the question becomes which will take up less space in a room I want to use for other purposes (office/crafts as you say) 95% of the time? If memory serves me correctly, the answer is a pull out sofa or futon versus a day bed.

I say go for the one that gives you more space for your crafts/office when it is not in use as all will suffice for a few day stay.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,892,726 times
What you need is a Murphy bed. You can combine it with home office furniture.

murphy bed unit - Google Search

Murphy Beds Home Office

:: Tiltaway Beds :: Overview

You can make it simple with just the bed on one wall and a desk on another or really beautiful and fancy with all sorts of custom features.

Your guests get a real mattress to sleep on.

If you are handy and have the tools, you can find plans to make your own.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:03 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,702,294 times
My Parents just did the same thing and they found a sleeper sofa that instead of the thin foam mattress, it has a nice air mattress. I slept on it a couple nights when I was in their area this Spring and it was COMFORTABLE to say the least. Actually more comfy than my regular high dollar bed I sleep on every night. I'll see if I can find the manufacturer because I don't remember what it was right now off the top of my head.

Just talked to Mom, it is a LazyBoy with the "SlumberAir Mattress System" and she said it was quite expensive, but from what I saw and how it slept... well worth it.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 PM

2,383 posts, read 2,951,433 times
I'm going through almost the same thing. I need to make my home office into a guest room too. I like the daybed with a pop up trundle idea, but I might just go with a regular double bed. The other thing that I have pretty much decided to do is to convert the closet into my office. Here are some images for ideas. closet office - Google Search
That will free up a lot of space. I want to use nice cabinets and countertop so that it doesn't look thrown together and will be very functional.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,371,484 times
We lost our dedicated guest room this past year when we moved so we're going with a daybed and trundle - figured our daughter (18mo) will be able to use it as her bed when we finally get into a bigger place.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,814,091 times
I used a nice sofa bed that fits the decor. I put a thick foam mattress over the extra thick mattress that came on it. I only use it a few times a year for guests and they always say it's better than thier bed at home. It fits the room and makes it useful for other things.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:15 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,071,647 times
My mom has a very small 2 bedroom house. She has a cute daybed in her spare room along with her computer.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,264,404 times
We went with a futon that has a very high-quality mattress. Some of them have what amounts to 3" of stuffing on metal bars, which I'd strongly advise against, but if you get one with a good mattress, they're like sleeping on a normal bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House