Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hanging the laundry out on the line could save some bucks on the electric bill..

and I was going to say the same thing.

clotheslines are your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
My sisters oven/stove broke while we were staying with her. They have a newer (expensive 3500 sq ft plus!) home and I was surprised that she found didn't have a gas hook-up for the stove.

I prefer gas over elecertic for both the oven/stove and dryer so I would been really upset if I were her !

I think the price that the OP was quoted seems kinda high though..

Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If you have a functioning paid for electric dryer and shop around for a more sane quote on the electrical work I might stick with the electric. The higher temps of an electric dryer can get clothes dried faster and that somewhat offsets the costs of the energy.

I wonder if maybe the OP lives in an area with very high permit / insecpection costs? In some towns that could add hundreds to what ought to be a pretty simple job -- the laundry room probably already has at least one dedicated circuit, unless the panel is filled a 240 volt circuit is not that much work...

Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yes. If the house has gas service then 99% of builders will use it for every application they can.
Electrical appliances are used as an "oh well, guess we have to" back up only.
Interesting, as that is NOT the case in my neighborhood.

Everyone has gas service.
All but five of the houses (those 5 were built within the last 10 years) were built for gas furnace and water heater. The stoves and dryers were wired electric.
Anyone who has a gas stove or dryer had to have additional lines put in for those. We just never bothered....

Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
That does sound like a high quote but there are variables that no one here knows in terms of house layout. Or if your existing panel has enough slots (although as a new house I'd imagine the panel is large enough for expansion)

Where is your dryer, in the basement? if so why do you NEED a matching one. I would just sell the electric one, get some money, buy a gas dryer, and sit back and save on not needing to install a new electrical line and save on your utility bill.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:24 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Can't you get a matching model in the gas version?
Only if that particular model is still made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Interesting, as that is NOT the case in my neighborhood.

Everyone has gas service.
All but five of the houses (those 5 were built within the last 10 years) were built for gas furnace and water heater. The stoves and dryers were wired electric.
Anyone who has a gas stove or dryer had to have additional lines put in for those. We just never bothered....
Our builder (Fulton Homes) has hookups for both gas and electric dryers and stoves/cooktops on all of their new homes. We brought over our electric dryer from NM, so we are using electric for the dryer. However, we specified a gas cooktop.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:29 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
No gas hookups in any homes in our area. All electric.

OP. A lot depends on how far the new service needs to be run and whether your existing breaker box has space for a new 240V line. 1200 sounds high to me. I'd certainly get another bid or a really believable explanation of why it is so high.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauljrnicole View Post
I really don't want to purchase a new dryer, as I would probolby spend the money for a matching washer.
Why do they have to match? Just buy a gas dryer.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauljrnicole View Post
We just moved into a very nice quality built '07 home. The laundry room is set up for a gas dryer and not electric. Does not have the 30-amp 240-volt outlet. Had one electrician quote me $1,200!! Might as well just buy a gas dryer at that cost. I really don't want to purchase a new dryer, as I would probolby spend the money for a matching washer. My current set is only 2 years old. I will be getting more quotes, as I can't believe it would cost that much to run a wire and change an outlet. This home has extensive electrical upgrades in and out.
Is it normal for a newer home to only have gas OR electric and not both?

(I have no preference in either. Now that I've been presented with the issue I think gas is smarter for saving money and energy. We've always had electric dryers and always had a apartment or home that they were compatible with)
Most people look for this when purchasing a house. Some even make their decision based upon it. Now you know. Think about the advantages of a gas dryer in the winter. If you lose electricity you can still hand wash clothes and you'll be able to dry them. Or, anti-up for the cost of running the electrical.

Why must your washer and dryer "match" if they work just fine? I never understood this. We replace something when it cannot be repaired, not just to make everything match. I've never had a washer/dryer set that matched except my very first ones because they wear out at different rates. YMMV

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 12-16-2011 at 03:14 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 03:42 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Love my gas dryer but you do need electricity for it to work: the tumbler. Who cares if the washer and dryer match? No one sees it anyway. And it's true, your dryer will outlast at least 2 washers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House