Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of CO detector do you have?
Battery-powered 7 29.17%
Plug-in 10 41.67%
Hardwired 1 4.17%
I don't have one 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:04 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

I decided to do a poll - What type of carbon monoxide detector do you have - battery-powered, plug-in, or hardwired (including those with battery backup, as well as those combined with a smoke detector)?

We have a plug-in one with battery backup (Kidde Nighthawk). We brought it over from our house in NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:39 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
My central alarm system includes a CO detector and I have plug in backups (Kidde). Wouldn't be without one.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:42 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
CO Detectors are notorious for false alarms: Protect Your Family and Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | Indoor Air | US EPA I would not necessarily connect it to my central alarm system. The detectors can go off when there is not enough CO to cause danger or NOT go off at dangerously high levels.

Most detectors I have seen sound at 70PPM to allow the residents to see if there is a problem and take action. But according to the EPA and other sources, the technology hasn't proven to be as reliable as say a smoke detector, as yet. I did notice the Kidde plugins w/ display appear more reliable. I had two false alarms in a rental (combo fire/smoke alarms) after the local government enacted some ridiculous regulation that resulted in a lot of property damage by the Fire Department.

What's more important is to follow safety precautions to avoid CO poisoning: Have heating systems, stoves, fireplaces etc installed and maintained by licensed professionals. Do not use stoves for heating or burn items inside for heat. The burning produces a lot of CO, which can kill if allowed to build up without ventilation. In addition, I ventilate my house (heated by gas) in the winter no matter how cold it is outside.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:17 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
There's not a choice for hard wired with battery back-up. I have one plug-in and one hard wired with battery back-up.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
2 hardwired, 4 battery, 1 plug-in with batter backup (Kidde Nighthawk). Don't ask why so many. They township did it.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:48 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
There's not a choice for hard wired with battery back-up. I have one plug-in and one hard wired with battery back-up.
My "Hardwired" option refers all types of hardwired units, including those with battery backup. The same same goes with the "Plug-In" option (our Kidde Nighthawk has battery backup).

Old 12-16-2011, 01:39 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I decided to do a poll...
Really?
How is Newt doing today?
Exit poll now!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:44 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
CO Detectors are notorious for false alarms: Protect Your Family and Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | Indoor Air | US EPA I would not necessarily connect it to my central alarm system. The detectors can go off when there is not enough CO to cause danger or NOT go off at dangerously high levels.

Most detectors I have seen sound at 70PPM to allow the residents to see if there is a problem and take action. But according to the EPA and other sources, the technology hasn't proven to be as reliable as say a smoke detector, as yet. I did notice the Kidde plugins w/ display appear more reliable. I had two false alarms in a rental (combo fire/smoke alarms) after the local government enacted some ridiculous regulation that resulted in a lot of property damage by the Fire Department.

What's more important is to follow safety precautions to avoid CO poisoning: Have heating systems, stoves, fireplaces etc installed and maintained by licensed professionals. Do not use stoves for heating or burn items inside for heat. The burning produces a lot of CO, which can kill if allowed to build up without ventilation. In addition, I ventilate my house (heated by gas) in the winter no matter how cold it is outside.

I've never had a false alarm on either the plug-ins or the central alarm system CO detectors. However, I have had a 4 yr old central heater fail, with a leaking firebox seal! Were it NOT for the CO detectors, I shudder to think. And yes, my heaters (2 homes) are serviced annually by a licensed plumber. I would never be w/o a CO detector!

Old 12-16-2011, 04:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
None. I could nto find one that i could get to work. Not even by holding them in in the exhaust of a running car, holding them int eh smoke from the fire in the fireplace, holding them over an unlit gas stove. My conclusion - They do nto work, so why have one in the house?

I tired two or three different brands and at least five different models. None would work ecept a really old plug in one (no batteries) that I found in my garage. The new ones would not alarm no matter what I did. I bought one, took it back bought another, took it back eventually i tried every brand and model that they had in Home Depot and Lowes and could not get one of them to work.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Don't have one. No carbon dioxide emitting items here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House