Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 AM

16 posts, read 17,061 times

Advertisements

if your state is the same as mine the law says that the main water supply is the responsibility of the city, while the pipes that stem from the main to the building/house are the responsibility of the owner (in regards to maintenance and replacement)......and if public health is a concern of the people of this nation, why not make it a requirement of all the owners of residential real estate to install (pay to have installed) a "house filter" and keep it maintained/replaced as needed? not only would this keep the pipes in better condition for longer, the pipes of the people who NEED WATER TO LIVE would probably be going to the doctor less....lets try it and see if i am correct.....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 06:46 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Really?

1) What is wrong with the water coming into the house?

2) What precisely do you think should be filtered out?

3) How often do pipes currently require repair or replacement and what is the cost?

4) What would the cost be of this magic filter that you think should be installed at the owner's expensne?

5 ) How much would this magic filter cost?

6) What exactly does the water contain which is causing the damage to the pipes and which in your opinion needs to be filtered out?

Just by way of an FYI, California and Vermont passed one of the most monumentally stupid laws I have yet to see on a state level, namely insisting that valves and fittings which convey potable water be "lead-free." Watch for serious corrosion and leaks in about two years in both states now that only corrosion-prone brass is allowed to be used.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Water supply from your utility company are safe to drink. They may not have the best taste but all water supply companies has a water quality report. You can look at it yourself (if you can understand it).

Now I don't disagree that a whole house sediments water filter has it's benefit. I have one install in my home. I does get rid of alot of sediments and should prolong some of the applicances life. The problem is that these filters do require changing and most people are not going to end up changing their filters.

The whole house sediments are about $100 + installation and each replacement filter is about $15 (cheaper if you buy bulk). I go through a filter every 2 months (I use a lot of water for the fish room).

Old 12-26-2011, 11:00 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Really?

1) What is wrong with the water coming into the house?

2) What precisely do you think should be filtered out?

3) How often do pipes currently require repair or replacement and what is the cost?

4) What would the cost be of this magic filter that you think should be installed at the owner's expensne?

5 ) How much would this magic filter cost?

6) What exactly does the water contain which is causing the damage to the pipes and which in your opinion needs to be filtered out?

And what government agency will have the responsibility for inspecting said filter to ensure it's there and working correctly; and subsequent enforcement efforts against owners?

Old 12-26-2011, 11:07 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
people can't keep good batteries in smoke detector... do you really think a mandatory water filter system is a realistic expectation?

Old 12-26-2011, 11:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I would definitely recommend a good filtration system for those on private well water, but municipal supplies are required to meet safety standards and
in most cases whole house filters are a waste of money. An older house with galvanized pipes may contain bits of rust that can shorten the life of appliances and affect water quality, but such a filter won't help, since the water coming in is fine, the contamination comes from within the home plumbing.

If you are concerned about the quality of your water, go to the website of your provider, most will have the latest water quality analysis report, and if not, it will be available on request.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:37 AM

23,598 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatima.spokane View Post
if your state is the same as mine the law says that the main water supply is the responsibility of the city, while the pipes that stem from the main to the building/house are the responsibility of the owner (in regards to maintenance and replacement)......and if public health is a concern of the people of this nation, why not make it a requirement of all the owners of residential real estate to install (pay to have installed) a "house filter" and keep it maintained/replaced as needed? not only would this keep the pipes in better condition for longer, the pipes of the people who NEED WATER TO LIVE would probably be going to the doctor less....lets try it and see if i am correct.....?
While you are at it, why not make a law requiring every person to own at least three toothbrushes, a bar of soap, and a functional brain?

The first reason that there isn't such a law is that it would be unworkable. The second reason would be that it is unconstitutional. The "general welfare" concept does not extent to the personal level. I'll let you guess what the third reason is.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:51 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would definitely recommend a good filtration system for those on private well water, but municipal supplies are required to meet safety standards and
in most cases whole house filters are a waste of money. An older house with galvanized pipes may contain bits of rust that can shorten the life of appliances and affect water quality, but such a filter won't help, since the water coming in is fine, the contamination comes from within the home plumbing.

If you are concerned about the quality of your water, go to the website of your provider, most will have the latest water quality analysis report, and if not, it will be available on request.
A properly installed and grouted water well does not automatically need a filter.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatima.spokane View Post
and if public health is a concern of the people of this nation,
Public health IS a concern.

Which is why there are ALREADY standards set by the government on the water going into your house. It's called the Safe Drinking Water Act and was passed by Congress in 1974. President Nixon signed it into federal law.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
A properly installed and grouted water well does not automatically need a filter.
But installing the right filter greatly improves the taste of the water and removes particulates, metals, certain organic materials, and so forth.

I do agree with all of you in that it's not the responsibility of the home owner or landlord to install filters throughout the house. All the landlord is responsible for is providing potable water.

My home has a water well, but the water contains iron. I take care of the iron with a water softener that has an iron-removing feature. The water tastes quite good out the faucet, but I installed a GE 2-filter system under the sink. The filtered water comes out its own faucet that is mounted next to the sink's faucet. The filters remove bacteria, several organic elements, particulate, bleach, and several other chemicals. A set of filters are expensive, but they have a lifespan of six months or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House