Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times

Advertisements

I always arm my security system whenever I leave the house, even if only for five minutes. Also whenever I go to bed, even if only to take a brief nap.

But alarms are good only if the burglar manages to get into your house. So I've done quite a bit to keep him out.

Like another poster, I have a couple of electronic REX watchdogs (and have given them to relatives as gifts):
http://www.amazon.com/ED-50-Electron.../dp/B002XITC5G

I've also kickproofed my exterior doors:
Home Door Security | Door Jamb Security Kit | Door Devil™

I've had dobermans for 30+ years and walk them around the front yard regularly, just for show. But they've all been lovers, not fighters, and wouldnt protect me or the house (yes, I do know that for a fact) -- so I had a sign made up for my gate to discourage anyone from thinking about breaking in:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:18 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,296 times
A friend of mine had a sign that read as follows:

"WARNING: This house protected by a 12 gauge with a hair trigger."

Old 12-28-2011, 08:42 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I've always been tempted to post a sign on my front door:

Occupant of this house is on parole, after serving 30 years in prison, for a triple murder. The door is always open, as I get very lonely here with no friends!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:12 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I sent the article to my mother. My mother violates every thing on the list consistently. I have been telling her for years to start becoming more "street savvy" and she doesn't listen. I hoping that a list in print might help it click. She grew up in the city and still thinks its the same city she remembers from 1950. The city has changed drastically over the years but since the economy took a hit, the crime has skyrocketed in my home town. Its not the same. She won't move. She got mugged a few months ago in a store parking lot. Again, did the things you aren't supposed to do. She is more savvy about her purse now but the house stuff still escapes her. How do you get people to listen?!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
All my doors have double cylinders. So when they are locked, you cant get out with out a key. So you have to bust out the door or leave out the broken window that the scum managed to get in by.
Quote:
Oh, and good luck breaking OUT of the door. The frame is bolted into the wall, the door has passive locks into the frame, so even if they pull the door hinge pins, it still can't be opened.
This is EXTREMELY dangerous for YOU. I hope you realize that YOU are at risk because YOU can't get out of your own house quickly.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is EXTREMELY dangerous for YOU. I hope you realize that YOU are at risk because YOU can't get out of your own house quickly.
I agree - very unsafe!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 AM

268 posts, read 817,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
WRONG. I don't lock the dead bolts when I'm home. I just lock the door knob. To get out just turn the knob.

I knew someone who knows nothing about locks would post. My fault for not completely explaining my security program.

And if anyone try's to break in while I'm home it would be fatal mistake on their part.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
This is what you said - have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I always lock the deadbolts when I am home.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
This is what you said - have a look.
That is two different people entirely you are talking about.

So... first off I never answer the door ever. I do not trust anyone. Not a man, woman or child. I just do not do it. If I don't kow you are coming you can stand there all day and let the dogs bark until you leave. I have a "No soliciting" sign on my front door. And also added at the bottom, "If we are not expecting you, don't bother to knock." I hate when people show up at my house unexpectedly including family. Its rude and annoying and I never let anyone in family or not.

I have three dogs, one of them a Great Dane whose bark is much worse than his bite, but I have no doubt he would protect all of us if he had to. I also have a Border Collie who I rescued from a very bad abusive situation and she is very protective and if she doesn't know you or we don't tell her its okay, she will rip your face off before she would let anyone near any of us. She even protects the cats when my Great Dane goes after them, she stands right in between them so he can't get to them. She would never hurt any of the animals in any way, besides she is the sweetest dog ever.

We also have the sticker on our windows for the old security system that we never took down. They are very prominent which also helps.

We keep our front lights on at night and there is only about an hour a day when no one is home aside from our pets. I believe they are a great help in scaring off anyone.

We have a 6 foot high fence around our backyard that is never unlocked.

When we are away, we have timers for the lights that are random times and we stop our mail and newspaper delivery.

I see a house on my way to work every morning and they have Dobermans and the sign on the fence says: "Beware of dogs. They can make it to the fence in 2 seconds, can you?" It is so funny!

Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
WRONG. I don't lock the dead bolts when I'm home. I just lock the door knob. To get out just turn the knob.

I knew someone who knows nothing about locks would post. My fault for not completely explaining my security program.

And if anyone try's to break in while I'm home it would be fatal mistake on their part.
You're posts aren't making sense. You said burglars wouldn't be able to get out of your house. If you don't lock your deadbolt when you're home, they can get into your house easier and out of your house easier. You bragged about "good luck getting out" so guess that means you think you'll only get burglarized while you aren't home. LOL

There's no darn good reason to own a dead bolt to only use it when you're not home, except if it's a deadbolt that requires a key from the inside(like yours). The only use for deadbolts that require keys is deadbolts on doors with windows because burglars can break door windows and unlock deabolds with interior knobs. Oh, yeah. I know about locks. You on the other hand are living in false security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House