Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:25 PM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times

Advertisements

About 2-3 weeks ago, we had a water heater installed in our home. I went with a local plumber who installed a 50gal - 38,000btu Rheem water heater.

As we take a shower, we've noticed that while we start we hot water, after about 3-4 minutes, the water is not as hot as when we started.
I mean the water is still hot just not as hot. We have to slowly turn handle in the shower up and up to get hotter water.

I don't remember having to do this with our old water heater.

Before I call the plumber, is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
If you have a pressure balancing valve on the shower that is designated to limit high temperatures I would say yes this behavior is normal.

The older water heater may have never been adjusted properly and you would not have the mix in cold water to stay in the safe range...

Old 12-27-2011, 03:53 PM

I do have a shower valve but how would I know if it is pressure balancing?

I get for safety reasons the high temperature limit. So while the water temperature won't get any hotter, it just starts to drop little by little?

Old 12-27-2011, 03:56 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
No, not normal. If it is electric, could be the lower element isn't kicking in. Might also be dip tube or installed in reverse. (outlet connected to inlet pipes and visa versa)

Edited to add - depending on your incoming water supply, the water in your cold water line could become significantly colder in winter. If your pipes are in a heated basement, the resting cold water will pick up heat from that source. As it is replaced with water from shallow-buried pipes, it can drop fifteen degrees or more - imitating a water heater issue like you describe.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 12-27-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Water heater is gas.
Everything is located in our finished basement, which is heated.

Even though it was just 2-3 weeks ago we had the water heater replaced, I cannot for the life of me remember is this was happening with out old water heater. In the shower you adjusted the valve to your liking and the water temperature remained constant at that setting. I *think* that's how I remember it.

Now, you have to knick the valve little by little to keep the water nice and toasty.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:50 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
This also happened to me recently. As best I can tell, the old heater's thermostat was probably crudded up enough to cause the heater to heat the water higher than indicated on the valve. I too have pressure regulating shower valves and noticed that I had to lower the temp control to a hotter setting.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM

220 posts, read 376,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
About 2-3 weeks ago, we had a water heater installed in our home. I went with a local plumber who installed a 50gal - 38,000btu Rheem water heater.

As we take a shower, we've noticed that while we start we hot water, after about 3-4 minutes, the water is not as hot as when we started.
I mean the water is still hot just not as hot. We have to slowly turn handle in the shower up and up to get hotter water.

I don't remember having to do this with our old water heater.

Before I call the plumber, is this normal?
That should not be happening. Call the plumber.

It seems odd that a new water heater would have this problem, but it sounds like the lower heating element is bad.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
The heating element(s) may be bad or they are set for a lower temperature which the plumber or you can can take off the cover and set the temp control slightly higher. As said above your cold water comming in to replace what youve used up in hot water may be lowering the temps. You should be under warranty for at least a year so call the plumber out to do the right thing and fix it to your satisfaction.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:11 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The heating element(s) may be bad or they are set for a lower temperature which the plumber or you can can take off the cover and set the temp control slightly higher. As said above your cold water comming in to replace what youve used up in hot water may be lowering the temps. You should be under warranty for at least a year so call the plumber out to do the right thing and fix it to your satisfaction.
It's gas, not electric...

Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Could be that you are comparing winter and summer performance where the hot water flow is not varying that much but the cold water gets colder as you run more in from external sources. I can notice a little of that in the winter at my house (and know it is not the heater that is a 100K Btu unit with a very rapid recovery time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House