Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times

Advertisements

Urban myth, urban tale, or contemporary legend, is a form of modern folklore consisting of stories that may or may not have been believed by their tellers to be true. As with all folklore and mythology, the designation suggests nothing about the story's veracity, but merely that it is in circulation, exhibits variation over time, and carries some significance that motivates the community in preserving and propagating it. Often they serve as cautionary tales.
Add that to water heaters and you have what?
From the diagrams it would be safe to say that they're pretty much the same- except for the fuel.
Lots of companies make heating elements (electric) and only 2 companies make gas regulators...
where's the quality again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Lots of companies make heating elements (electric) and only 2 companies make gas regulators...
where's the quality again?
Same quality for both? For example we could have a 5HP B&S engine on any lawnmower but it doesn't necessarily mean they are the same thing. It wouldn't be worth it to put a good engine on a Wal Mart brand since the rest of the thing is going to fall apart.

Been a while since I've see one so I don't know if the quality is the same but I can remember about 25 years ago when I worked in a shop that sold Ariens, the salesman from the company was jumping up and down on the deck. He had a very good point, full axles with ball bearings. You weren't going to do that with Wal Mart brand.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
The problem is that many people are too tempted to go to a big-box store without doing their research, and simply overlook calling a local plumber to have a higher-quality Bradford White or Rheem unit installed.
Because my husband installs himself. We'd only buy those brands if we could access them without being forced to pay a plumber to install.

But we do buy the best quality available for purchase directly to the consumer within our price range. We don't buy garbage.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,305 times
Also just because you have a plumber install your water heater doesn't mean you are getting a better model, just because the water heater itself is more expensive doesn't mean it is better and will last longer.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,877,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I was wondering, why do so many people seem to be under the false impression that all water heaters are the same quality? That isn't true at all; what is true is that some brands are better than others.
I think you are confused. Of course difference brands are of different quality.
Just like a Rolls Royce is of better quality than a Prius.
It's my contention, and a proven fact, that within the same brand of WH, there are usually three different levels of quality offered. 6 year warrantee, 9 year, or 12 year warrantee, and the price goes up with the longer waranteed ones.
The three qualities offered within the same brand, are all exactly the same heater except for the decal on the front, and the length of warrantee.
They DO NO make three different quality W/Hs, only three different decals...!
So buy the cheapest of which ever brand you select. It's the same heater with less warrantee....

Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
The three qualities offered within the same brand, are all exactly the same heater except for the decal on the front, and the length of warrantee.
Er, no. There ARE differences and the main one really does matter.

How To Replace Your Water Heater Anode Rod - YouTube

Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Same reason people pay $2,000 for riding mowers. Most people have a certain price expection of what they are willing to pay for a product, and there are plenty of manufactures that are willing to made it for them. So if the price point people expect to pay for a new hot water heater is $400, (manufuactures research just what the price point is) they design a product that will meet that price point and still turn a profit. Often it involves using thinner metal, plastic parts and other corner cutting that shortens the life of the water heater. It really doesn't matter if it really costs $600 to make a water heater that will last for year and years, manufactures can't sell it (or as many) so why make it.

The same is true for any other product. Take riding lawn mowers, the John Deere mowers you hear that is high quality and lasts for years and years cost $5,000 to $6,000 new in 1980. So you honestly beleive your going to buy then same mower 30 years later for $2,000? The mowers are made cheap as possible to make the price point people are willing to pay. When they complain the mower breaks after a year or two, they really only have themselves to blame. John Deere still makes decent mowers, but you'll have to shell out 8 or 9 thousand dollars to get the kind of quality the 1980 models had. They sell a hell of lot more of the $2,000 mowers than the $8,000 mowers, that's why they do it.

Almost any other brand has model of there product designed to the big box store shopper to meet a certain price point. They still may make some quality products, but wil will not find them at the big box stores and not at the cheap big box prices.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Same reason people pay $2,000 for riding mowers. Most people have a certain price expection of what they are willing to pay for a product, and there are plenty of manufactures that are willing to made it for them."

Perhaps I would word that as "People have an expectation about the quality of the product they receive, and are willing to pay more for a better product." Not to digress, but I would be hard-pressed to find a high-quality $2K mower.

Quote:"They sell a hell of lot more of the $2,000 mowers than the $8,000 mowers, that's why they do it."

I agree. My brother's philosophy is to buy an $800 Walmart mower, (all permanently-lubricated bearings, etc), use it for 8 years, and then toss it. That is the opposite of mine. I will only have to buy 2 mowers in my entire life (it would have only been one, but I wanted to upgrade). Sure, you have to do the maintenance, but there is little more enjoyable than using a product that is properly designed to last a lifetime.

Quote:"Almost any other brand has model of there product designed to the big box store shopper to meet a certain price point. They still may make some quality products, but wil will not find them at the big box stores and not at the cheap big box prices."

I also totally agree. I have only used SuperStor Ultra water heaters, and they basically last forever (though the water quality fed into them is a factor).
Most people don't want to pay what they cost, but then there is none of this 10/15/20 year warranty stuff you need to consider.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Many people just buy what's readily available when facing deadlines or some sense of urgency. Plus, budget can be an issue. Others don't want to take the time to research or investigate which product would best suit there needs.

I asked the maintenance guys at my job. They maintain houses, apartments & duplexes so they would know a good brand--and which ones to avoid. I got a Bradford White and avoided tha AO Smith or whatever that brand is that everyone seems to want to get at the big box stores. I hired the co-worker to install it too. He has the necessary HVAC certifications to do so.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Others don't want to take the time to research or investigate which product would best suit there needs."

So then they should not complain if they get an inferior product.

I only buy SuperStor hot water heaters, and my only regret is that they last so long, I have moved from the house before they wear out. (Last one, 1990). I can get them overnight, so the "Many people just buy what's readily available when facing deadlines or some sense of urgency." is sort of a cop-out.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I can get them overnight, so the "Many people just buy what's readily available when facing deadlines or some sense of urgency." is sort of a cop-out.
This is where the big box stores excel. Nothing more frustrating than needing something from a electrical/pumping/HVAC, etc supply store on a weekend when they have 8 to 4 mon-fri hours. It's nice to be about to run out to home depot to get that part you need to fix your toilet or whatever. It's might not always be the highest quality stuff, but it will get you by in the short run.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The issue you discuss doesn't just pertain to water heaters, we live in a society that is becoming more and more disposable. People buy $100 lawn mowers instead of the $500 one for a variety of reasons. Short term they save money which they may not have at the time to buy better model or perhaps they want to buy more crap instead on investing in a few quality products over the long term. In the the end up paying more.

A lot of people have sticker shock when they see the cost of the better coal boilers, you only have to buy it once though. Your grandkids can use it in 50 years.
Coal boilers are still being made? Perhaps 80 years ago. They were durable, there are probably some in use today, though with other fuels. But the fuel utilization efficiency was below 50%, compared with 75 to 95 percent in modern units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House