Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM

172 posts, read 516,007 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am considering buying a house in an area where all of the power lines are above ground. I don't really have a problem with it aesthetically, but I was wondering what the voltage/amp difference is between the different 'levells' of power lines that you typically see in a neighborhood (not the giant tower type power lines).

For example, this neighborhood has the very common single wire on a pole that runs behind most houses. This line feeds each individual house. There is also a 'second level' of power line that is larger that is a trunk for all of the single wire lines. The 'second level' line has 3 wires and is raised significantly higher than the single wire lines.

Anyone know what the differences in voltage/amps would typically be between the two types? I am comfortable with the single wire lines, but slightly uncomfortable living next to the 3 wire lines (perhaps for unscientific reasons...but also thinking of future resale).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:05 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCityATX View Post
I don't really have a problem with it aesthetically OK
was wondering what the voltage/amp difference is ZERO
hth

Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM

172 posts, read 516,007 times
heh, the difference can't be zero. Maybe the voltages are the same (220 I assume), but the amperages going through 3 wires must be greater than through 1 wire (why else would they require 3 wires). (I'm talking about 3 wires separated at the top of higher utility poles vs 1 wire on shorter utility poles.)

Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Few powerlines that serve residential customers will have more than the a two phase 220V system feed. In areas where you have warrhouses / assembly that use welders / motors you might have a 480V feed, but I doubt that is running in your backyard...

So called high tension wires used for transmission to electrical substations in the US typically run at 115kV /5MVA ...

I suspect the thing you think is "trunk" is actual the grounding wire so that the whole thing is safe against lightning strikes. There are lots of good sites that explain how safe electrical grid is...

Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
Do you mean electricity (phone and cable also) run in on the older wooden poles with wires strung to individual homes versus the big metal power distribution type towers that have a clear swarth through neighborhoods?

Regardless, what are your concerns?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,527 times
If there are no transformers on each feeder pole and the houses are connected directly to the overhead lines, you can assume 220/240.

If there are transformers at each tap, they can be as much as 7200 volts. I have seen them in many small towns.

When in doubt, call the electric company.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Few powerlines that serve residential customers will have more than the a two phase 220V system feed. In areas where you have warrhouses / assembly that use welders / motors you might have a 480V feed, but I doubt that is running in your backyard...

So called high tension wires used for transmission to electrical substations in the US typically run at 115kV /5MVA ...

I suspect the thing you think is "trunk" is actual the grounding wire so that the whole thing is safe against lightning strikes. There are lots of good sites that explain how safe electrical grid is...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

First, a 220/240V system is called 'single phase', even though it uses two 180-degree out-of-phase waveforms to produce the desired voltages (120 and 240). Usually it is tapped off a HV line (either in the 7kV or 13kV range) through a transformer, to give both phases.
A 3-phase system (each waveform 120 degrees apart), has 4 wires (neutral, phases A,B,C).

Neither of these systems have a plus/minus value on resale. (Though I had 3-phase running down my street, and put in the 3ph box, as the power tools that run on 3ph are WAY cheaper to buy used).

Old 01-07-2012, 03:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCityATX View Post
I am comfortable with the single wire lines, but slightly uncomfortable living next to the 3 wire lines (perhaps for unscientific reasons...but also thinking of future resale).
This made me laugh because most of the neighborhoods in my region have poles with way more than 3 wires. LOL

Old 04-04-2019, 03:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,699 times
In an rv park with over head power lines everywhere the one with two uninsulated wires for houses.. we are building a pole barn directly under the lines the building is 16 foot tall and it looks real close to those lines can the guys who are putting the roof on get shocked by them?

Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplm View Post
we are building a pole barn directly under the lines...
there are rules to follow.
Find out which ones matter in YOUR area.
Attached Thumbnails
Neighborhood above ground power line voltages/amps?-e025.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House