Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM

230 posts, read 1,215,183 times

Advertisements

Under new home warranty, the fireplace installer "inspected" the installation, and insulation around the firebox, etc, and said it was to code, properly installed, and blamed the draft on the high winds off the back of our house.

It is a direct-vent gas fireplace, which vents through a 6-inch pipe straight back, no flu or damper. We've resorted to not using it at all, turned off the gas supply, blocked the 6-inch pipe with insulation, added extra insulation under the firebox, and even took the metal discharge system off the back of the house, and covered it with sheet metal. While it has helped slightly with the draft, our fireplace still makes the floor of our family room ice cold.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, and what type of contractor we would be best served to have take a look at this issue and hopefully fix it. Should we call a different fireplace company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:12 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
What about fireplace doors? I love my fireplace and wouldn't think of not using it. If I were you, I would see if there is a way to plant some shrubs or other decorative but wind blocking solutions behind the house.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times
I just checked on the marble floor in front of our gas fireplace and it is warm to touch. Same temperature as the surface of our tables.

We have a glass door that seals the fireplace. The only time you open this door is if you need to service the fireplace. Not opened during normal usage.

I may have pictures of our fireplace during stages of installation when the house was being built.

I will have to look in my computer files and if I do I can post it.

Sometimes I can feel a slight draft when it is high wind when standing directly in front of the fireplace. But not enough to change the temperature of the room.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 PM

Yes, we have the "sealed" glass door that is mounted to the front of it...but somehow, someway, air is still creeping in from multiple points it seems. So frustrating.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I would be frustrated too. It sounds like something isn't installed properly. We have a gas fireplace and no issues with cold air coming in. It's a direct vent as well.

I would call in a reputable fireplace company to inspect. You may have to pay them for their time but probably less then your heating bills will be. See what they have to say.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 AM

131 posts, read 453,558 times
We have the same dang problem! Ours is a heatolator (didnt spell it right) HATE IT! It was in the house when we bought it. It has the glass front, but the air comes from the top and bottom vents. We have it turned off, plastic with duct tape to seal it up, stuff in front of it etc....we are going to make a box to fit over the vent in the back....we would seriously like to remove it all together! The way the vent is in the back instead of on top is a nightmare! We live in a very windy area with cornfields all around us. We do have a bush/tree in front of the vent (still gets air circulation)
We did speak to a contractor who suggested the box above the unit might not be insulated and to take the outside apart and start there....??? The problem seems to be the outside vent - you can see straight outside! so it vents the fire part straight out but it also lets the air straight in, unless we had it on ALL the time the air just comes right in! It IS an open window! Yikes! No solution for you just wanted you to know we empathize!

Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Direct vent commonly have a vent and supply. This is usually done by having a double pipe. The inside section vents gases and the outside is inlet for outside air used for combustion which is probably the source of the air infiltration. If you have only blocked the vent pipe I'd imagine this would actually increase the amount of cold air coming into the home.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Coalman, thank you for the graphic. Our direct vent goes straight out the back, and from everything I've seen is a single, 6" pipe.

I have a fireplace company coming out Monday to inspect it. From doing research, and knowing how my builder took some short cuts, I'm thinking the "doghouse" and area immediately surrounding the firebox is not insulated properly, or requires extra insulation based on our exposure on a hill, windy area, etc.

We are currently not using the gas fireplace at all, though.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
Coalman, thank you for the graphic. Our direct vent goes straight out the back, and from everything I've seen is a single, 6" pipe.
It's possible you have an inlet coming from somewhere else, PVC or any other type of pipe sticking out on the roof above where the fireplace is?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM

131 posts, read 453,558 times
coalman, I also thank you for the graphic!
Zak, if you wouldn't mind could you post what the fireplace company explains what the problem is? Sounds like we have the same issue! TIA
prairie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House