Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 12:22 PM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times

Advertisements

Ceiling lights in our laundry take a while for them to actually turn on.
Flick the switch and you see them trying to turn on.
Fast forward 5 minutes later and the lights are finally on.

I haven't had a chance to actually look at them but I'm guessing they are your standard fluorescent tube bulbs. So aside the obvious that one bulb might out or on its way out, what else do I look for? If both bulbs/tubes are still good, then what else should I look for?

When I get home I'm going to play Bob Villa with these lights.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Odds are the tubes are just old -- as they age the voltage required to get up to operating temp increases. In some fixtures there are also replacable starters that, along with the ballasts, do wear out.

I have switched over most of the flouresecents in my house to LEDs. Better light, lower energy cost. Upfront costs are comming down.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Tubes wear out...they are relatively cheap to replace.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
That is pretty common for compact fluorescent bulbs, is that what you have, or are you talking about the 4' long tubes?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:21 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
n.

I haven't had a chance to actually look at them but I'm guessing they are your standard fluorescent tube bulbs.
tubes

Old 01-25-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That is pretty common for compact fluorescent bulbs, is that what you have, or are you talking about the 4' long tubes?
Yeah, I have the compact 24" tubes.

Just replaced the bulbs and I'm still having the same problem.
Light are still taking a few minutes to turn on.

The ceiling unit calls for 4 bulbs: 2 on the left / divider / 2 on the right.
I have the light cover off and when I flick the switch to on the lights, you can see the lights "trying" to turn on.

If I tap the bulbs with my finger, the bulbs will turn on.
If I turn one bulb, then either the outside 2 will on and the middle ones take longer to come on.
Or the middle ones come on and the outside ones take longer to come on.

Could the problem be the actual housing unit itself?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:47 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Yeah, I have the compact 24" tubes.

Just replaced the bulbs and I'm still having the same problem.
Light are still taking a few minutes to turn on.

The ceiling unit calls for 4 bulbs: 2 on the left / divider / 2 on the right.
I have the light cover off and when I flick the switch to on the lights, you can see the lights "trying" to turn on.

If I tap the bulbs with my finger, the bulbs will turn on.
If I turn one bulb, then either the outside 2 will on and the middle ones take longer to come on.
Or the middle ones come on and the outside ones take longer to come on.

Could the problem be the actual housing unit itself?
If, after new bulbs it is still slow, I would guess it is the Ballast, which is located under the "divider" If the bulbs are T12's consider replacing the whole unit. They are about to be discontinued.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
If, after new bulbs it is still slow, I would guess it is the Ballast, which is located under the "divider" If the bulbs are T12's consider replacing the whole unit. They are about to be discontinued.
Yep, after I posted my follow up on the new bulbs not being an improvement, I went ahead and just replaced the new unit.

I was told that if the new bulbs didn't do the trick, then like you mentioned, it could be the ballast. I just decided to chuck the old unit and get some LED track lighting instead.

Now it's working like it should be!!

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House