Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:41 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,632,732 times

Advertisements

In the 70's we had flocked wallpaper on the wall at the headboard of our Spanish Colonial? bedroom furniture. We also has swagged lamps in the room. Plus we smoked a bit of dope, had mucho sex, and we were cool......LOL

Flocked wallpaper...I love it...plus I kick my butt for not keeping my Peter Max, hand painted ties...plus we giggled at lava lamps being so passe...I am telling you...we were cool...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 03:49 PM

15,442 posts, read 21,265,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
20 years ago wallpaper was in...it isn't any more.
Ha! None of my current homes could be said to be "in." I don't chase that expensive rabbit and certainly not in these days of declining equities.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:02 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,787,176 times
Quote:
Actually... it is.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:10 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,738,779 times
Quote:
...and in another 20 years it will be "in" again.

To the OP, look at some of the dozens of bungalow books for good ideas; well executed craftsman style with period wallpaper designs are timeless and will never look dated, especially in a 20's era home. There is a setup in the National History Museum of a 20's Italian-American immigrant home that appeals to me; I want to take my own bungalow front room in the same direction one day.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:51 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,486,151 times
Unless your house is for sale, put up what you like to live with. Why live in a house made to suit someone else?

I really like the look of Lincrusta witha chair rail and then some nice wallpaper. A tin ciling with a crown really tops it off nicely. The nice thing about tasteful and classy classic design is that it never goes out of style. No one will walk in to a room like that and say "Ick. How outdated"

Do not use trendy wallpaper, use classic designs. Also stick with one style. You cna have one wallpaper below the chari rail and a different wone above as long as the style is the same. Do nto mix arts & Crafts paper with animal prints or a victorian pattern.

There is a neat wallpaper available that is shelved books. It is pretty neat looking for a library, but I do not think it ould look good behing real shelves of books.

For our library we are going with tombstone framed wood paneling. THat is what I think of when I think of a library. this is netiher modern nor antique style. It is the traditional high end library look that you find in houses of all ages.

By the way. I found most wallpaper pretty easy to remove, unless it is painted. Hit it with a tiger, spray it with Dif and hot water mixed together, wait half an hour, spray again and often it just falls right off the wall. Painted wallpaper can be hard to remove. Do not ever paint over walpaper. That is a terrible idea.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:33 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,543,093 times
Quote:
Obviously you have never spent hours removing wallpaper...
Actually I spent years removing wallpaper from my 1966 house which was all wallpaper - no paint and in some places more than one layer. There is no need to get snarky because I happen to have an opinion that differs from yours.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:35 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,543,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Actually... it is.
I agree. Pick up any good home magazine and there are always articles on updating a room and its pretty typical these days to see a wall of wallpaper or a section of a wall done in wallpaper.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 10,572,252 times
Never mind the naysayers, I'm seeing wallpaper making a slight comeback in the decorating magazines. I think what's really dated is "borders". And with good reason.

You don't have to wait for HGTV to tell you it's OK now to wallpaper your house, right after they tell you granite and stainless are so "outdated" a year or two from now.

Anyway, I don't think it's really period correct, but what about French Toille? Always looks so elegant. Or, there are textured papers that have patterns that can be painted in rich colors to go with the wood in your library. And don't forget a lighted oil painting or two!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,118,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I agree. I cannot begin to list what I pesonally consider the negatives of wallpaper. If I was a buyer the 1st thing I would think is this has to go so I start off negative and it usually goes down hill from their. Now walk in and not like paint colors, well that is easy/cheap enough to correct.

I always pictured a real library in a home and what I see are dark walls like reds, greens but dark not bright. Light trim/accent paint. Big overstuffed furniture. Small pockets of sitting/reading areas with over the shoulder lighting.
I agree, why wall paper when you can do an actual room designed like a 20's library. Look at old pics, get some ideas. I think better than wall paper would be to frame old newspaper. Have floor to ceiling shelves, lined w/ wonderful old books, the odd occasional figurine, there are library tables, old lamps, a couple cosy wonderful overstuffed chairs, ottomans....So much you can do, rather than a wallpaper. I love the idea, but it may also be something that you tire of in a few years. If you invest in the old furniture, wooden tables you can re use those in other rooms if you ever change your design. I'd love to see before and after pics.
And for those of you that like wallpaper. I spent 3 days removing a foil type wallpaper back in the 80's when I was redoing a small bathroom. I haven't used wallpaper liberally since then. It was like peeling the foil off a stick of gum wrapper, a nightmare. I like wallpaper in bathrooms, and in unusual nooks and crannies, but would never consider it in large main rooms. I prefer a 3d depiction of what you want to achieve, so much more interesting. To each his/her own.

Last edited by JanND; 01-27-2012 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: added content

Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 AM

393 posts, read 1,200,278 times
EVERY decorated model home I've visited recently has wallpaper. I think it makes a house a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House