Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

THe other problem is that usually my projects go like this:

I decide to finish building the closet int eh mudroom.

I get my saw, saw horses, dig out the lumbr that i put away last time I worked on it, search for ten minutes to find my speedy square.

realize that I cannot find the big square or the level. Search for the level for half an hour.

While I am i the garage I neotice that the box of stone that will enetually go on the outside fireplace has fallen over, so I pick it up.

The box for the stone has basically collapsed, so I build one out of left over scraps of wood.

I cannot find the drwayll screws to hold the box together, until I rememebr they are out where i was working on my son's fort to be in the woods.

While walking by the woodpile on the way to the woods, I realize that I left the chain saw fuel and oil out by the woodpile, so I put them away.

I get the screws and go to finish the box, but my driver battery is dead.

I sepnd 20 minutes looking for my driver charger. Eventually my wife tells me that she put it in a drawer in the kitchen cabinet.

I charge the driver.

I remember that I left thge big square and the level in the basement where I woudl finishing my daughters closet.

When I go get the square and level, I notice that I only had one more bracket to put in my daughters closet to finsih it. I can mount the bracket by hand wile the driver is charging.

The light bulb in my daughter's closet is burned out. I go up to get a new bulb to replace it.

While in the light bulb drawer, I see the specialty bulbs that go inteh light in our bedroom. I rememebr that three of the fie are burned out so I take them upstairs to rpelace them.

I cannot find the step stool that we keep upstairs, so I get the one out of the panrty. The pantry is a mess. Boxes of cereal are on the floor, the food on the shelves is jumbled and disorganized. So I straighten up the pantry for half an hour.

I take the step stool upstairs and replace the light bulbs.

I go downstairs and rpleace the light bulb in my daughter's closet. I go up to the garage to get a screwdriver to finish the closet bracket, but when I go outside, it is raining. I quickly grab the tools and materilas that i got out to work on the mudroom closet and stuff them in the garage.

I get a screw driver and go back downstairs to the closet. My dad calls and reminds me that my daughter's recital is starting in an hour and a half. it will take me an hour to get there.

I drop what I am doing and go take a shower.

At the end of the day, I have changed four lightbubls and straightened the pantry. The materials and tools for the closet are stuffed in the garage, the level and square are still down in my daughters closet (as is a screw driver), where I will probably forget they are there and end up looking for them again. My driver battery is on the charger and forgotten so both will get stuffed into a drawer or closet where I cannot find them next time. THere are three bruned out light bulbs laying on ur bed, they will get stuck in the light bulb drawer which will result in my having to test all of the bulbs to find out which are the burned out ones (sometimes ou can tell by looking, sometimes you cannot). I will trip over the step stool on my way out the door and hopefulyl take time to stick it back in the pantry.

This is so typical. However many times I need to throw in a trip to ACE hardware or to Home Depot (1 hour plus) to get something that I need, and/or an hour plus searching for other tools. Also a couple more phone calls and some running around delivering kids to various locations. (tennis lessons, sleep over etc). Usually repeated stops outside to advise my older son on a car repair project too.

that is why my list will not get shoter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
My "to do" list has become so large and long that it is overwhelming. I find myself confused as to what to do first, and then it just seems like I will either never get stuff done or I will have no free time. There are too many things that need maintained or repairs around the house. Where to start? How to start? I've already made the lists, but they just keep growing with nothing getting checked off. I get tired even just looking at the list.
I know how frustrating that can be. Sometimes you need to just sit back and prioritize, as others have said.

1) Which project is going to cause more damage if I don't do it NOW?

2) Which project, if done now, is going to get messed up when I move on to project number 6?

Get your projects ordered, because it sounds like yeah.....you don't know where to start. That's what you need to figure out. Do you have a roof and/or a foundation problem? Do you have leaks anywhere? Do you have major electrical problems? If no electrical problems, start with anything that's leaking. Leaks are going to undo everything else, so start with them.

A list is only really helpful if you take the time to prioritize it. Some things really can wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House