Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

Most exterior doorway hinges & lockplates are attached to the doorframe with crappy little screws. That fault makes them relatively easy to kick in for a couple big bad guys.

To make them more secure, remove those short screws, drill the holes deeper, and replace them with 3" ones which will be screwed well into the door frame.

Do that for the hinges, striker plates, and lock plates (including the dead bolt assembly).

That will make it much more difficult for bad guys to break your doors down and force their way into your home.

You might want to do that for your "retreat" room elsewhere in the house too.

Not a cure-all, but a simple and wise precaution.

Last edited by Bo; 01-28-2012 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Moved from Austin forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 PM

99 posts, read 207,458 times
I vouch for this too. It just might fix a sagging door as well.
My front door was sagging so the first fix I was recommended to do was replace the screws. Turns out half the screws they used on the hinges were barely 1/2" long..definitely not right.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:36 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
It's also helpful to keep a shotgun next to the door. Of course that only works if you're home.

Tripwire is effective also.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:13 AM

252 posts, read 718,863 times
I've read if a couple big bad guys want in your home this isn't going to be much but an annoyance to them. They will get in if they want. Worst case by breaking a window instead.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
A bumpable key lock also will help but thats more money. Very easy to bump a lock and get in that way.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Also, most homes have only a single-cylinder dead bolt on the front and back doors. Pop one small pane of glass, reach in and the house is wide open. We have double-cylinder dead bolts with the key within reach but not stuck in the lock. Again, it won't stop someone intent on breaking in; but, it will slow them down or make them look for another target.

ScoPro's tip is especially effective on homes that are much older. Back when 'real' wood was used in home construction, the doors were framed in using some seriously hard lumber. Definitely want to pre-drill those holes before installing longer screws. Unfortunately, the soft, younger wood used in construction nowadays is less capable from a 'holding' standpoint. Still makes sense to attach strikeplates, hinges and locksets with more capable hardware. On a much newer home, it can be as simple as replacing one screw in each component.

BTW, if the screw hole is stripped out, fill it with some sort of wood coated with wood glue(a wood golf tee works in many cases; even wooden matchsticks will work in a pinch). Tap it into the hole, snap/cut it off at the surface, pre-drill and re/install the old/new screws. In a perfect project, you would let the glue dry, but we know that's not absolutely necessary. Don't over-tighten any screws, lest you pull the frame/lock/door out of alignment.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
I prefer a shotgun, but someone already suggested that.

Land mines are also a good deterrent.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM

211 posts, read 402,624 times
My "land mines" are german shepherds and they will explode on anyone not invited on the property, they're not mean by design just protective of their turf...they can "smell" a "rat".

Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfan View Post
My "land mines" are german shepherds and they will explode on anyone not invited on the property, they're not mean by design just protective of their turf...they can "smell" a "rat".
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me wander on to your property... I sense a huge financial windfall on my part. I hope you homesteaded your property.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:19 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
We don't have home invations in our little city (knock on wood). Are there really that many home invations going on?? Scary stuff - well better safe than sorry I guess.

Last edited by Cattknap; 01-29-2012 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House