Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,929,897 times

Advertisements

My home is ALMOST perfect for me. I guess when we buy homes, it is always a compromise and sometimes those compromises bug us for years.

I'd like
(1) a two car garage and
(2) a big (at least 4'x6') shower in my home with easy access and safety for when I grow old. That's all!

There is no room to have either added. Oh well. I don't really NEED either one. Both were compromises that I was aware of from the moment when I bought my home.

If I listed the things that are RIGHT about my home, it would take pages and pages. Honestly, it is very nearly perfect for me and I love it so much. Maybe the best thing about it is the quiet neighborhood. I am very sensitive to noise, and there is none here. The floorplan of my home is fabulous, the size is fine with me, I love the materials and finishes, and best of all....

.... it is paid off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
.... it is paid off!
Yeah, we're getting there too! When we buy or build our last house, we're definitely staying within budget so we're paying cash.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 PM

41,885 posts, read 74,952,198 times
I have a three-bedroom, one bath house with a partially finished basement, about 1200 square feet. It was the perfect size for the spouse and me and the two cats -- we had our together spaces, and our separate spaces.

The only thing I'd change is to add a second bathroom -- not a master bathroom, necessarily; I'm perfectly capable of walking down the hall.

Now that I'm alone, I really don't need the three bedrooms and the den in the basement; I could easily do with a slightly smaller house.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,929,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yeah, we're getting there too! When we buy or build our last house, we're definitely staying within budget so we're paying cash.
That's terrific! If/when I move again, I plan to do the same.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 PM

61,430 posts, read 86,526,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
It seems most of my coworkers and associates are always looking to upgrade their homes. They buy a home, and immediately begin talking about the features they would like in their next home.

And the main theme is bigger, more bedrooms, more baths.

Is anyone ever satisfied with the home they live in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
As a homeowner, there is just always something that either NEEDS to be done or that you WANT to get done, or its both. Some things I would like to do to my current house:

There is just always something to do. It comes with the territory.
There is nothing wrong with remodeling or updating, but like missik999 said... lots of people were never happy with what they have. They want more... bigger house, bigger rooms, more rooms, more garages ( where they can put all their junk ), bigger cars..... always bigger.
It wonders me: in how many bedrooms you can sleep, or how many cars you can drive at once...

Last edited by elnina; 01-30-2012 at 10:20 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 PM

866 posts, read 1,134,630 times
currently live in a900 sq. ft. 2 bdrm. 1 bath rental...when we first moved in it was perfect for us...now...not so much...

we need 2 bathrooms more times than not, we're tripping over each other to move around, have to go outside to change our mind or turn around...
we both have had some serious health issues happen over the last 2 years which is limiting our mobility, but the house is way too small for walkers to manuever easily in, and stairs are becoming
a hazard. So we have to find something bigger/better...just don't know where to go that we can afford.
We no longer have patience to deal with noisy,inconsiderate neighbors and barking dogs, so out of the city limits is the first step...We've look at a few places in this area but for what we can afford
to buy it's gonna take a lot of work to fix them up and make them livable, we can't do the work ourselves like we used to...and more money than we have coming in...so we are stuck here indefinitely...

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,109,892 times
My husband and I were always on a quest to move but we pretty much were trying to out run crime. lol. Most of our home buying was during the big boom so we would sell and the equity was enough to squeak into the next transitional neighborhood. The house we have now is almost perfect. If I had to complain, I would like a real laundry room. We have main floor laundry which I love but its a laundry closet. The bedrooms are a bit small. Our master is good size but my son's room is tight but he will moving on with his life a few years so its not crucial. I think my biggest issue has always been the location. I can adapt to a variety of floor plans etc but having idiot neighbors can ruin any dream house. Our current neighborhood is very nice and there is no longer the issue of trying to out run potential decay but now I live by snobs. Ugh. Where is the middle ground?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 AM

12 posts, read 176,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
2400 sq ft, 4 bedroom 3.5 bathrooms, very nice outdoor space, great neighbors...
We have been here since 1987 and have everything we need.
good luck and live long

Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,740,089 times
I like this house okay, but there are definitely things I would change. Unfortunately this is what happens when you are transferred and only have a few days to buy a home. We only had a couple of weeks before school started and we had to have a contract on a home in order to enroll our kids in school here. It's about 3200 sq ft. 4 bedroom, 4 baths, 2 living, 2 dining plus a study. Although this house is about 400 sq ft smaller than our last one, it has everything we need, I just wish it was arranged differently/better.

We will never move just because we want something different. We've moved too many times because of transfers. I'd rather take a beating than have to move again. We've may move once we retire but that's still more than 10 years out. I'll just gradually change what I can, and live with the rest of it. I do love my lot though.

The kitchen is horrible in this house, but we are about to start a major remodel on it, so I will get it more the way I want.
The family room is way too small. Because it is open to the kitchen our contractor is trying to convince us to kick the wall out 10 feet across the end of the room to enlarge it. However, the budget is not unlimited!
I would like to have a 3 car garage instead of a 2. The last house had a 3+ car. There's not room to get both cars in the garage and have room to store things like the lawn mower and various other lawn tools, hubbys table saw, etc. Plus we have to pay to store our jet skis. Can't add on or change it, and can't add a storage building due to HOA rules.

Bathrooms, especially the master need to be remodeled. I guess that will be our next undertaking.

If I was just wishing, I would add a half bath by the garage. I hate that every time DH is out working in the yard, he has to come in and then walk all the way through the house to get to a bathroom, tracking dirt everywhere.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,536,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
One of my coworkers asked everyone to be on the lookout for a new home for her. She said she needed 5 bedrooms and 6 baths, minimum. She and her husband have one child, and have always said they weren't going to have any more.

So I asked why she needed so many bedrooms and baths, and she looked at me like I was from Mars. She said because they only have 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms now, of course.

Oh the poor thing...................... my heart goes out to her, it must be so difficult living in a home with only 4 bathrooms.

she needs a good smack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House