Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 08:18 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,404 times

Advertisements

Sheeeez, don't worry about it! A one-time exposure is extremely unlikely to cause you any problems whatsoever......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 12:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
The stress of worrying about it has done more damage to your health and more to shorten your lifespan than the existence of asbestos in that materials will ever do.

I learned a lot about asbestos by being involved in asbestos litigation for many years. Obviously, to present a case and cross-examine expert witnesses and doctors, you have to have a very good understanding of the real facts and science.

Old 10-26-2019, 04:14 PM

7 posts, read 10,201 times
20% Cellulose, 25% Synthetic Fiber, 50% Non-Fibrous Material, 5% Asphaltic. Asbestos - none detected.

Best lab report I could ever get. Since I plan on selling my 2 family house in the next year, and the smaller house I will buy, will probably be an older fixer upper, I will certainly be very careful in the future. I have learned more about asbestos in the last 2 weeks than I ever wanted to know.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:51 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
PLEASE - forum regulars - it should be obvious by now that there are individuals who get a kick out of trolling asbestos fears, or have some financial incentive for over-hyping the dangers, using forums as their tools. Do NOT respond to new members who OBVIOUSLY have not read any of the thread or threads on the subject, and who immediately launch into yet another "I'm goinna DIE!!! and my dog is goinna DIE!!! and my cat's lungs are now those of a 90 Y.O. smoker!! Just report the troll and move on.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:31 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
PLEASE - forum regulars - it should be obvious by now that there are individuals who get a kick out of trolling asbestos fears, or have some financial incentive for over-hyping the dangers, using forums as their tools. Do NOT respond to new members who OBVIOUSLY have not read any of the thread or threads on the subject, and who immediately launch into yet another "I'm goinna DIE!!! and my dog is goinna DIE!!! and my cat's lungs are now those of a 90 Y.O. smoker!! Just report the troll and move on.

Not been following, but asbestos can kill you!..... So best to get yourself educated on the dangers and per cautions you must take before you start ripping it out! ....

Old 12-21-2019, 10:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Not been following, but asbestos can kill you!..... So best to get yourself educated on the dangers and per cautions you must take before you start ripping it out! ....
Read the threads. Many of us are very educated on asbestos and know the conditions in which it is dangerous (which conditions are never present in homes). Please stop trying to scare people to support your business.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:20 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK63 View Post
NVplumber, I'm late to the game here, but wanted to thank you for your post. I'm 56 years old and had no idea that asbestos is everywhere. I only knew of the commercials you talk about on tv. I needed to put up a backsplash in my kitchen, (a real one). What was up there was whatever vinyl tile matched the floor that was down in the kitchen at the time. I have a 2 family house and over the years put money into the other apartment, not my own place. So I got the ceramic tiles and tile cutter, many youtube videos and got to work. I removed several old layers of vinyl tile from the wall, several I put up myself. Come to this last strange linoleum type very ugly green covering, probably been there 50 years. Pried this off with a big putty knife and it had a strange brown paper backing sticking to the wall. After an hour of scraping this with a razor blade type scraper and throwing everything outside in a trash can, cleaning up and doing my ceramic backsplash it came out pretty well. Couple nights later watching "This Old House" on tv they came across an old linoleum floor they said was asbestos. This shock wave went through me. How could I have never thought of it? I did have the windows open that day, plenty of ventilation, and a fan blowing out the window, not in, just in case of dust, but there really wasn't much. I just keep thinking I scraped this brown backing off the wall for about an hour before it was all down to plaster, and was there asbestos in it? I ordered a test kit to send a little piece off and honestly haven't been sleeping well over it. So glad I read your post though. I was surfing the net being completely paranoid. If it turns out it was asbestos, this was a one time exposure for me, and it was not the crumbly dusty stuff. I hope when the test comes back that it's not, but reading your post has put me to ease a whole lot more. One thing for sure, I won't ever make that mistake again. I don't think I've ever cleaned my kitchen so much ever, wiped down everything many times, dusted and mopped every room, and had the windows open for a week airing the place out.

Oh my. Yeah I think you're fine man. I've been VERY educated and trained for asbestos work and I have to say that much of the hype over asbestos IS a scam. No, you surely don't want to roll in the stuff and snort it like cocaine. BUT, it is not an acute toxin and single light exposures (which we all get every day) will not kill you. You probably get more exposure walking down a busy street from brake pad dust than you did working on your kitchen.

The stuff is indeed everywhere. It not a bad idea to wear protection when around loose stose and there are volumes of laws about handling it. But the interesting part about that is if you tear the tuff out of your house you are not reqired to follow any special guidelines. And you can just haul it to yur local landfill. If you tell the dump attendent its asbestos all your likely to get in response is "ummmm...So?"

Nor are you required to wear any PPE while working with it. The rules all apply to commercial structures for public use. If the stuff is such methyl ethyl death ya gotta wonder over that. And I'm speaking as a trained asbestos supervisor who's father died from asbestosis. The latter caused by daily HEAVY exposure in the Navy of yesteryear. Asbestos is nothing to get terribly excited over. We all are exposed just about everywhere every day. But if your not working in a snowstorm with no protection every day for a lengthy time, which is not likely to happen, don't let somebody whos livelihood is dependent on fiber phobia throw the fear of life or death into you.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:52 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Read the threads. Many of us are very educated on asbestos and know the conditions in which it is dangerous (which conditions are never present in homes). Please stop trying to scare people to support your business.

I'm retired homemaker, so clearly I'm not receiving, nor have I ever received financial gains in voicing my opinion on the matter, yet I do understand the dangers it can pose to ones own health if exposed! Folks should educate themselves on the matter, just google, it's free at no cost!

It's great your educated on the matter... Nor should anyone feel stupid for seeking out answers on the matter or handling of asbestos, some cancer can be prevented cause from asbestos! so educate oneself!

Old 12-22-2019, 08:11 AM

1,185 posts, read 749,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I'm retired homemaker, so clearly I'm not receiving, nor have I ever received financial gains in voicing my opinion on the matter, yet I do understand the dangers it can pose to ones own health if exposed! Folks should educate themselves on the matter, just google, it's free at no cost!

It's great your educated on the matter... Nor should anyone feel stupid for seeking out answers on the matter or handling of asbestos, some cancer can be prevented cause from asbestos! so educate oneself!
This is not correct, and blatant fear-mongering. Educate yourself, please.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:40 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,155 times
Things worth worrying about:

Climate change.
Increasing political polarization.
Gun violence.
Government corruption.

Things not worth worrying about:

GMO foods.
Vaccines.
EMF and microwaves.
Asbestos in home building materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House