Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 243,801 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys again. This information helps. You're correct that stress does no good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,778 times
Hello All, I myself am freaked out because my popcorn ceiling was recently removed in my home (while I was still in the house) and I got some samples tested and it came back positive with 4% asbestos!

I don't know what to do now as all our furniture and clothing were all still in the house as well! The workers who did the removal taped and covered up the walls, all of our furniture and clothing with plastic, but I am not sure if they did a great job of it. After they were done with the removal and repainting of the ceiling, they removed the plastic and vacuumed up all the debris with our vacuum.

My parents were the ones that called these contractors over to do the job, if they would've told me ahead of time I would've gotten the samples tested prior to the ceiling being removed! Please, any help would be appreciated. :'(

Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Was the ceiling ever painted? Did they wet it before removing it? Both will keep down the amount of loose fibers floating around. In any case, harm occurs from repeated exposure. I wouldn't worry too much about it, however the workers who removed it have a higher danger and should be concerned since they likely have many repeated exposures.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
I would recommend talking to a caring doctor about your concerns. Not one of those doctors who will just say what they think you want to hear to pacify you and move you out the door, but someone who will take you seriously and perhaps even somehow x-ray or examine your lungs (if it's possible?) to make sure everything is OK. No one on C-D is going to be able to reassure you. You should talk to a professional.

As an aside - anxiety can also be deadly. Don't worry yourself to death. If you feel good now - enjoy it. Talk to your doctor and hopefully they can give you a clean bill of health and set your mind at ease. But what's done is done. Carpe diem.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Just don't scrape it...or if you do, you may want to have a piece tested to see if it's even something to worry about. If it contains asbestos then you can either still scape it off yourself (keeping it wet throughout) or hire a firm for $1000+ to do it for you if it makes you feel better. But if you're not planning on scraping it off, there is nothing to worry about unless you do major renovations which requires ripping up the ceiling. I'm actually not really sure asbestos had gotten that popular in homes yet in 1918...feel like it was more of a 50's - 70's thing, but I could be wrong.
You can scrape it safely, just wet it first and wear a mask. Do not grind it up and snort five lines of it every evening for three years. That is where you might have a problem.

Asbestos was used for siding/shingles in the 1920s. It was supposedly found in some (not all ) Vermiculite insulation from the 1930s - 1950s. It was used in flooring, especially flooring adhesives for a considerable time. I think that could go back to the early 1900s. Not sure. The popcorn ceiling was probably not installed in 1918. More likely it was used to cover up cracks in the plaster in the 1960s or 1970s.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Federal regs state, anything installed or built before 1980the is PACM. presumed asbestos containing material. Several posters have said that asbestos related diseases are caused by heavy exposure, over time. This is correct. The type of material matters a heap as well. Tbe most common type, used in building material is Crysotile. There ate three main types, classed by type of fiber. Crysotile(white asbestos) long, sticky, white fibers. Amosite( brown asbestos) generally considered the worst kind. Short, needle like, fibers. Used mainly in TSIs, Thermal system insulation. Lastly, Crocidylite( blue asbestos) fibers similar to Crysotile, with barb like, shorter fibers, along the length. Not a common material, outside of military buildings, used a lot in fireproofing.

.The exposure you had, is unlikely(very) to have any , far reaching, effects. Particularly since you used wet methods for much of it. Regulations treat asbestos like plutonium. Fiberglass insulation is just as bad, and they don't require level A suits to work with it. Go figure. The lawyers are the ones that really caused this scare. The hardcore regs are a liability thing. It's about the money.

I would think, you are just fine. Your exposure was very limited. No worries man. No need to go through any more bouts with fiber phobia. Hope this helps. I have had considerable training and experience with asbestos.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:05 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
People that get paranoid about asbestos might be better off to look at that baby (talcum) powder they're liberally dusting themselves with after their shower.(or on their babies)

Old 04-26-2013, 04:26 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
People that get paranoid about asbestos might be better off to look at that baby (talcum) powder they're liberally dusting themselves with after their shower.(or on their babies)
rightly so , and still being sold in the shops for new born babies.. sadly...any fine dust gets into the lungs..

Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
Asbestos sucks. I just had a ceiling tile tested from our basement which came back 3%. The catch is I already removed and replaced about 2/3 of them before I realized those things could contain asbestos. The basement is where my two young kids spend lots of time too which makes me feel really guilty for doing it. I was careful not to break any of the old tiles inside, because I did want to keep the dust to a minimum for their sake. But inevitably removing them involved the sides sometimes scraping against the metal frames so I doubt it was kept to nothing. I'm not going to tell my wife, she's a worrier and will flip out. I'll just have to hope it's true what some people say that minimal exposures aren't too harmful.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I am by no means an expert. I would suggest that you get an air filter working down there immediately. Also, all toys and such should be hosed off in your back yard. Try not to panic. Educate yourself. Talk to your doctor and find out what you should be watching for, or if you should be overly concerned at all.
Here is a link to Web MD. regardin asbestos Asbestos Exposure: Causes, Symptoms, Risks, and Diagnosis
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f.../Risk/asbestos
http://www2.epa.gov/asbestos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House