Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times

Advertisements

I have mostly vintage and antique furntiure too -- in various stages of restoration. I don't like the el cheapo Made in China stuff that doesn't even look and feel like real wood. I have one Victorian-style (1940s) loveseat in dire need of re-upholstering so a fur throw works wonders here. We also have two swivel tufted chairs from the 1940s -- unbelievable condition and in mohair -- quite pricey these days.

Have to agree to furnish a little at a time -- take your time and fill your house only with things you really love and of good quality.

We have plaster and wood mirrored frames in guilt/gold-leaf. All lamps are vintage because the ones nowadays are made of cheapo resin that will dry-rot and snap apart. Vintage lamps are made of ceramic, glass, metal or stone. Re-wiring is an easy DIY project and silk shades can be found everywhere. Our carpets are wool, not the synthetic threads -- they just last alot longer, wear better, and easy to maintain.

There are great finds at Goodwill, Salvation Army, and thrift shops. Also, check out estate sales and auctions. You'll be surprised what's at auctions and what sells, depending on the audience. Use Auction Zip - Live Auction Locator - Find Auctions Anywhere! and just plug in your state of interest. Also, don't forget yard sales, Craig's List, and flea markets.
If you go this route, find local folks who can restore, upholster, etc. or learn to do it yourself. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Depends on what one is willing to take...

Can be a "paid to haul away" of a lesser than $0 to ??? sky is the limit ???(what one is willing to spend, how fast & how much... like how many sub-zeros Magic Johnson have... )... $10,000 plus for a sofa or 2 / 3, is pretty common in "some" homes.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Antique is more affordable?
Not really... depends on what is considered as the "Antique" and how "lucky" of a find one have.

Eg. A "Ming" Vase that is authentic & luckily bought for $5 at a yard sale & appraised for a million = very lucky find

vs

an 80's walmart sofa bought for $50 but found out later it is bedbug ridden = very unlucky find.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
vs
an 80's walmart sofa bought for $50 but found out later it is bedbug ridden = very unlucky find.
This is not considered an antique. It's called junk.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing you have to factor in, are curtains for the rooms. Those don't run cheap for decent lined ones. Custom ones are really expensive.
We're fortunate there. My wife makes beautiful curtains (and clothes). I guess good items can occasionaly be found at divorce...er, I mean garage sales.

Last edited by Bideshi; 02-03-2012 at 01:08 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I have mostly vintage and antique furntiure too -- in various stages of restoration. I don't like the el cheapo Made in China stuff that doesn't even look and feel like real wood. I have one Victorian-style (1940s) loveseat in dire need of re-upholstering so a fur throw works wonders here. We also have two swivel tufted chairs from the 1940s -- unbelievable condition and in mohair -- quite pricey these days.

Have to agree to furnish a little at a time -- take your time and fill your house only with things you really love and of good quality.

We have plaster and wood mirrored frames in guilt/gold-leaf. All lamps are vintage because the ones nowadays are made of cheapo resin that will dry-rot and snap apart. Vintage lamps are made of ceramic, glass, metal or stone. Re-wiring is an easy DIY project and silk shades can be found everywhere. Our carpets are wool, not the synthetic threads -- they just last alot longer, wear better, and easy to maintain.

There are great finds at Goodwill, Salvation Army, and thrift shops. Also, check out estate sales and auctions. You'll be surprised what's at auctions and what sells, depending on the audience. Use Auction Zip - Live Auction Locator - Find Auctions Anywhere! and just plug in your state of interest. Also, don't forget yard sales, Craig's List, and flea markets.
If you go this route, find local folks who can restore, upholster, etc. or learn to do it yourself. Good luck!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: "If you go this route, find local folks who can restore, upholster, etc. or learn to do it yourself."

That is the clincher.... You can get really nice antique pieces cheaply if they need to be re-done. I collect black walnut pieces and upholstered furniture from the late-mid 1800's. You can get them for a song. (actually, I got every one for less than $10). BUT having them restored is the killer.

Some things, like upholstering is not that easy to learn. They never taught me how to use hog hair or horse hair stuffing in a sofa, or how to tie springs in high school.

But I do agree, pieces that have lasted 100-150 years, when properly restored, will easily last 100-150 more.

As one of the OP's stated " I'm not talking about high end, crazy rare pieces from froufrou antiques stores."

Neither am I. I think you will find those not-so-rare, not-so high end pieces, once restored, will not cost a whole lot less than the same piece in 'froufrou' stores... (unless you do it yourself) The only difference in price is their commission.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
my uncle was just considering buying a vacation condo in florida. it was a 2 bedroom plus den. He was figuring he'd need to spend $15,000-$20,000 to furnish it entirely.

Living room set at a place like Raymour could be $3-$5k (couch, chair, end tables, coffee table, tv stand).
Bedroom set for a queen bed, maybe $2,500 each bedroom.
Den - pull out couch could be about $1,000
Kitchen/Dining table set...$1,000-$5,000 depending on how nice, how many chairs.

furniture is expensive. Go room by room over time. Hard to do it all at once on a budget.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:56 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
my uncle was just considering buying a vacation condo in florida. it was a 2 bedroom plus den. He was figuring he'd need to spend $15,000-$20,000 to furnish it entirely.

Living room set at a place like Raymour could be $3-$5k (couch, chair, end tables, coffee table, tv stand).
Bedroom set for a queen bed, maybe $2,500 each bedroom.
The mattress set alone can cost a lot, over and above the furniture itself. As I consider what new furniture I want for my bedroom, I have been looking at Tempurpedic mattresses, since so many people love them. They can be frightfully expensive and I'm almost scared to lie down on one, because I might love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp
Den - pull out couch could be about $1,000
I was lucky, and stumbled into a big sale at a middle-of-the-line furniture store here. I managed to find a full sized sofa, love seat, easy chair, and ottoman (all matching) for $1,000. Well, they wanted several hundred more but had signs up saying "any reasonable offer considered" and so I offered that. Does your uncle need a pull out couch? They are indeed expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp
Kitchen/Dining table set...$1,000-$5,000 depending on how nice, how many chairs.

furniture is expensive. Go room by room over time. Hard to do it all at once on a budget.
Besides, if you focus on one room at a time, you can really think hard about furniture size and placement and get stuff that not only looks good, but is completely functional for your needs and fits where you want it to fit.

For example, I wanted the file cabinet right next to the desk in my home office against a certain wall, and that meant a 58" wide desk (60" are much more common). I found one that I liked and bought it, and I am so happy with that set-up. Had I just bought a pretty 60" desk, I would be shuffling the furniture around that small room with the big window and many doors, and would not have been very happy with any of the possible placements. Probably the file cabinet would have had to block the big window (eww). Not a problem for me due to the smaller desk; just two inches made a huge difference.

As another example, I knew that I wanted the den furniture to be high, because it is easier on my aging knees to stand up from a higher sitting position. Also I knew I didn't want oversized furniture. I had the measurements of my den with me, and a tape measure, so I could make sure that all would fit without making the room seem cramped. I had a pretty good idea of what possible colors and intensities would be best, too.

I think it would have been harder for me to keep all of this in mind for all of my rooms at once. There's so much to remember and it's easier one room at a time.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 02-03-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 12:33 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
I would never purchase anything off craigslist that is upholstered. I don't want anything someone might have had sex on, bleed on or puked on. Then add mice, bed bugs...yuck. If you are looking for inexpensive furniture to last you about 5 years then you can pretty much furnish each room for about 500-1,000 bucks. The stuff won't be that nice but it will get you by if you have nothing.

Reminds me of when my brother got his first place. He went to one of those furniture stores that have commercials that scream at you. A WHOLE LIVING SET FOR JUST 599!!!! He asked me to be at his apartment while it was delivered. The guys showed up and dumped it in the living room. I asked if they could place the furniture and they rudely told me they were not decorators. Alrighty then. The furniture was hideous. 2 chairs and a sofa. My brother comes home and starts to move the stuff into place. He starts with the first chair. SNAP! Two legs broke right off. He started cursing. Son of a....

He was upset and I told him that maybe the legs were loose. He moves the second chair. SNAP! By the time he moved the sofa, it looked like a capsized boat. I couldnt refrain and started laughing so hard I was crying. He called the furniture store and they accused him of abusing the stuff. They did replace it. A few months later he had a small party at his apartment. All the furniture was missing legs. He said after about a week the legs started splitting like a rotten pencil. The furniture sat so low to the floor you got a crunch work out getting out of it. It did last a long time. When he got married 5 yrs later he insisted the crap come into the new home, he and his wife bought. It was promptly moved to the basement per my SIL. He kept it another 3 or 4 years. Why he hung on to it, I have no idea but it still makes me laugh thinking about it.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I would never purchase anything off craigslist that is upholstered. I don't want anything someone might have had sex on, bleed on or puked on. Then add mice, bed bugs...yuck.
Ugh, disgusting. Yes, if the OP is a beginner, definitely avoid the (yuk) aforementioned regarding upholstery. And, I don't know anybody that would buy a used bed . . .

Quote:
f you are looking for inexpensive furniture to last you about 5 years then you can pretty much furnish each room for about 500-1,000 bucks. The stuff won't be that nice but it will get you by if you have nothing.
Personally, unless it's something a person needs right away, I would still use the route of thrift shops, consignment, auctions, etc. Items made of wood, metal, ceramic, etc. can be cleaned. I don't like bringing in cheap crap, even if it's for a short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House