Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

I'm tired just reading these threads, I can't imagine doing all that work. We need to put cabinet hardware on our kitchen cabinets and I don't even want to mess with that let alone redo the whole kitchen . I'm looking forward to watching this thread. I read your other Florida thread, now off to see the TN one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
I am so happy to see so many people checking out this story. I can't wait to get to the before and afters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrbhjmnc View Post
Very cool - so many options...
Yes there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Sweet Pea View Post
Oh, Lisa! You have left me in a quandry. Don't want to wish time away - but I AM anxious for the next update!

Love the energy and planning process that you and Mike put into each process!

Again..... THANK YOU for sharing this part of your life with us!
You are very welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
I love it!
I love doing this. It is so much fun to remodel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I cant rep you again, Lisa, but I love, love, love your stories. You take such awesome photos and you explain everything in such great detail. I cant wait for next Monday!
I only wish I had taken pictures of our other houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Should have left that green carpet on the patio and made it into a putting green! lol
Lol...Yeah that would have worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
So glad you're back. I love your house stories! Can't wait for this one.
Aww!! thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy P. View Post
It is amazing the energy you two have!!! I am looking forward to see what you do with this house, I am sure it will be beautiful when you are done. Whoever gets this home will be lucky, not only because of the home being on the canal, but because you guys will do it right!!!
Thank you for your vote of confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
So cool yet so hard to wait a week...
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Been enjoying this but I would be most interested in financial information such as price bought for, material costs, labor costs (including sweat labor at a fair hourly rate), how long the project took, on the market time, final sales price.

Sweat labor example is say you and Mike put in 3 months of your time into the project when you could have had jobs that paid you a total of say $6,000.00 per month, then you expended $18,000.00 in sweat equity. Sweat equity is rarely free...LOL

Thanks
I will give some of that info at the end. All I can say now is...if you are thinking of going into flipping, you better know what you are doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMaven View Post
Subscribed! Just finished the monumental thread here on the mountain top home and enjoyed it.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
Lisa,great job! love to see what both of you do. Some of my buyers have done a tremendous job on theirs too. I will follow your story from now on
Oh yeah...there are so many houses out there that need a lot of TLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'm kinda curious about the backing up to the canal aspect.... My husband was offered a job in Florida and we did some (internet) looking at homes, it seemed many of the ones we liked either backed up to a canal or had some sort of open water aspect to them... which as a mother of a just-learning-to-walk toddler terrified me. Is this not a concern for paretns/young families down there?
If I had young children I would install a fence. Just make sure you know the community or HOA rules. If you are interested in a waterfront hime in FL, I can give you lots of tips. DM me of you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl_n_Steph View Post
Looking at all of these "before" pictures is just crazy!!! We already know how amazing you and Mike are....but seeing step by step what you two did to the house is just mind boggling! (Oh, and I don't even want to know what the chain in the master bedroom was all about.... OMG!)
I had to look back, lol. The chain that is hanging down the wall in the master bath was actually connected to a ceiling fan. I guess they didn't know how to hide the wires when they installed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMaven View Post
I'm old enough to remember the hanging lamps that had the cord in the chains. Globes. Olive green back in the day!! Put a hook in the wall and the ceiling and swag the lamp. I think that's what that was.
Gotta love trends, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I'm tired just reading these threads, I can't imagine doing all that work. We need to put cabinet hardware on our kitchen cabinets and I don't even want to mess with that let alone redo the whole kitchen . I'm looking forward to watching this thread. I read your other Florida thread, now off to see the TN one.
Oh....the FL houses are easy compared to TN, lol.

Thank you all for writing in. I am so glad so many of you are enjoying the story. I have to do it in small portions because I have over 200 pictures....and I missed a lot of picture taking

Have a great day!!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Young

Thanks. I have no desire nor need to flip houses. I am just curious about the economics in this depressed sales price market. Not sure I see it being a real profit maker considering maybe what you two could earn elsewhere.

Again, thanks.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Young

Thanks. I have no desire nor need to flip houses. I am just curious about the economics in this depressed sales price market. Not sure I see it being a real profit maker considering maybe what you two could earn elsewhere.

Again, thanks.
You just have to really know your market. Mike I love it because we are our own bosses We are looking for more land now

Old 02-16-2012, 04:12 PM

363 posts, read 583,262 times
Read your first post last week, came back a few days later and we're on page 5 already!

Considering how nasty the carpets were, I'm surprised the tiles in the bathroom showers and tubs weren't covered in mold or mildrew. They appeared to be fairly clean but I'm just looking at a photo, not the real thing.

Also very interested in the cement curbing around the house and how you will remove the grass and finish that up. I tried the landscaping cloth and gravel bit around our house 5 or 6 years ago and now have a horrible mess as the cloth didn't keep the weeds and grass out. So I hope you show us/me how to do that correctly!! LOL

Anxiously awaiting your next installment.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I love the orange roof. Quintessential Florida. It signifies old, tasteful Spanish architecture. I hope you didn't rip it off.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,290 times
So how did it turn out?

Love the curbs. What a great idea.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
You are such a tease! And know how to keep an audience hanging on the edge of their seats. I used to have very similar kitchen cabinets in white. How I hated those cabinets! I can't wait to see the new kitchen and screen porch (if you keep it as such). I love a red tile roof too, so I'm curious what you did instead. Have you done another house since this one? We expect a lifetime of stories from you!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Looking forward to your story and pictures. Looks like Fort Myers. I love the red tile roofs, very tropical, hot weather looking....<s>

Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondandy View Post

Considering how nasty the carpets were, I'm surprised the tiles in the bathroom showers and tubs weren't covered in mold or mildrew. They appeared to be fairly clean but I'm just looking at a photo, not the real thing.

Also very interested in the cement curbing around the house and how you will remove the grass and finish that up. I tried the landscaping cloth and gravel bit around our house 5 or 6 years ago and now have a horrible mess as the cloth didn't keep the weeds and grass out. So I hope you show us/me how to do that correctly!! LOL

Anxiously awaiting your next installment.
There wasn't too much mold/mildew. Some of those walls and ceilings got ripped out. The other bathroom got bleached down and repainted.

Sorry to hear that. The weed cloth doesn't keep the weeds out by itself. You also need to spray the weeds...and keep up on them. We usually do the curbs, weed cloth, and then large enough rock so we can use the blower for any debris, grass clipping, or leaves that get into the garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I love the orange roof. Quintessential Florida. It signifies old, tasteful Spanish architecture. I hope you didn't rip it off.
Heck no...that roof was new when we got it. Those roofs cost about $15,000.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
So how did it turn out?

Love the curbs. What a great idea.
It turned out really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
You are such a tease! And know how to keep an audience hanging on the edge of their seats. I used to have very similar kitchen cabinets in white. How I hated those cabinets! I can't wait to see the new kitchen and screen porch (if you keep it as such). I love a red tile roof too, so I'm curious what you did instead. Have you done another house since this one? We expect a lifetime of stories from you!
No more houses since

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Looking forward to your story and pictures. Looks like Fort Myers. I love the red tile roofs, very tropical, hot weather looking....<s>
Well....you have the right coast

I'll be posting again tomorrow or Wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House