Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM

764 posts, read 1,561,568 times

Advertisements

I've decided to buy a rider lawnmower and i was wondering which brand to buy. John deer seems to be more dependable (because it is the most expensive). I was just wondering what other people use and what runs good (and what runs like crap). Thanks for any replys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 PM

34,253 posts, read 83,508,310 times
There are about 3 factories that make all the mowers...
regardless of what brand or paint scheme is on the outside.

Buy by the major components... most importantly being the engine.
Kawasaki --> Kohler --> Briggs

Short of going nuts with a too small yard... there's no such thing as too big a mower.

Zero turn mowers don't cut as well...
adjusting your flower bed layout and plantings costs a LOT less.

hth

An entirely reasonable compromise:
http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product..._sku=U99111160

Old 06-24-2011, 04:05 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,156,968 times
We just bought a new riding lawn mower. I bought a Toro zero turn with a Kohler engine. Its cuts beautifully and take alot less time to cut with the added control . I should have bought one long ago its effortless compared to a tractor type which we had several of before.They actually cut much better since you can control the pattern better without having to circle around because of wide turning radius of tractors.It leaves alot less trimming because of the control.Definitely buy the deck size to yard size and lawn tightness between flower beds etc. The less trimming is good because my wife loves to use the zero trun now that we have it.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,569,043 times
I have a professional grade eXmark 52" ZTR lazerZ-HP.

Frank

Old 06-24-2011, 04:56 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,984,527 times
First things first: cost does not equal dependability.

I have an old beat-up Craftsman 42" cut with a 19HP motor and it still cuts like new and runs like a top. Shoot, I don't even bother covering it up during the winter months. 15 years later it is still going strong and I have put a grand total of 3 sets of blades on it over the years ($25 for the last set), $35 for a new steering shaft and bushing this Spring, and gas and oil to run it. That is ALL the upkeep and repairs it has needed even with my lack of maintain and abuse.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 AM

9,348 posts, read 16,741,837 times
I have had two Sears tractors with Kohler engines. First one blew head gasket at 150 hours. Second one I bought was leaking oil and they had to replace the engine because they forgot to install three bolts at factory. Tractor was only 25 hours, then it just stopped and wouldn't start at 100 hours. They had to replace a module. Now I have a John Deere zero turn and love it. No problems, very little trim work required.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:25 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,156,968 times
You had some really bad luck then because Kohler engines are some of the best and I have seen hundreds.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 PM

34,253 posts, read 83,508,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You had some really bad luck then because Kohler engines are some of the best and I have seen hundreds.
Not to rub it in... but some say we make our own luck.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,714,604 times
I just gave away a Cub Cadet that I bought new in 1994. The Kohler engine was still running great, but the deck, and body were total junk. It was never good at cutting grass from day one. I have a 71 Gravely and a big Yanmar that I pull a finish mower with. They are both good for around the pond, and cutting trails, but awkward around the house.

I just treated myself to a new Toro zero turn. It has a 19 horse Kohler, and a 42" cut. I love that thing. It cut my grass cutting time in half. I find myself going out to cut grass for no reason, because that thing is so much fun to drive. Even my kids are out there cutting grass now.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,480,886 times
John Deere. I am a dummy when it comes to mechanics and I LOVE the way the John Deere guys came and gave me a tutorial about how to use the mower. It's really easy to use, easy to start etc. They also offer services such as tuning and blade sharpening.

I am a wuss and all of my other "power tools" are cordless and electric. I think they're way safer. I have sharpened the pushmower blades myself, but no way in heck am I touching the blades of anything that runs on gasoline and is as big as my riding mower.

The problem is that I can't get under the pines. I can't get close enough to the trunk without getting decapitated by branches. I have noticed that the professionals have some sort of mower with the blades in the front so they can get under trees. If JD sells one of those, I would recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House