Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:01 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times

Advertisements

I've been mostly apartment living and had houses with lawncare included, but now we're in a house where we have to do our own lawn. We're going to buy a mower next weekend, any raves for the one you own?

We would prefer one with an easier start, since my husband is military, I will probably be mowing a lot. Would also prefer one that is self propelled to keep it easy on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 12:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Is your lawn sloped? Do you prefer zero turn ones (when you turn it cuts "more" grass than typical lawn mowers)? Do you have a large piece of land? Do you like riding lawn tractors (much easier than self propelled)? Do you want cheap or do you want quality?

Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Go to Best Snowblower, Snowthrower, Lawnmower, Forum, Lawn Mower, snow blower, snow thrower, parts, Outdoor Power Equipment

There are a great bunch of folks there who can help you. They are all "outdoor power equipment" fanatics who are very knowledgeable about EVERYTHING tht has to do with mowers and snowblowers, etc.

OPE stands for outdoor power equipment.

There are many factors, such as budget, who does the maintenance, size and slope of yard, trees, etc, type of grass, etc,etc.......

Frank

Old 07-10-2010, 12:55 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Well Hondas are really good mowers but you will pay for them. For my budget, the Toro was the best and I really like it. I researched a while before I bought it. Starts on one pull and moves along pretty good. I like the convenience of the switches for bagging/muching. I have a typical suburban lot w/ a bit of a slope and thik, thick San Augustine grass. You really need to consider the questions posed by the above poster when selecting exactly what mower will suit you. It will help you decide on rear wheel drive as opposed to front wheel drive, big wheels on the back or not, and what other features will make your life easier.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:00 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
MIL bought one of these last year NEUTON® Cordless Electric Lawn Mower It is a fabulous mower that runs like a dream. 63 years old and mowing her own lawn. Her yard is just over 1/4 acre and this mower does it at her speed without needing a recharge.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:41 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,788 times
I mow my own yard and 2 weeks ago bought a Troybilt at Lowe's. It has front wheel single speed drive and I love it. It was $269.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:28 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
One question you may want to ask yourself is are you handy with the maintenance?
DO you change your own mower oil, use stabilized gas, change the spark plug, sharpen your blade(s), etc....?

If you do not, consider giving your local dealer your business. you may, (or may not!) pay a tad more, but when your mower breaks down and the grass is getting tall, that "Big Box" store isn't going to save you. Yeah, they may contract with a local dealer, but he is going to take care of HIS customer's first.

Watch out for some brand names......you generally get what you pay for. Too many folks buy cheap, and throw them away in a few years. Some names that meant quality a few years ago are now all made by MTD.........an 'ok" mower, but not the best quality when compared to some other brands........

Do a search on MTD and see all of the older brand names they took over........

My son recently bought a great mower off of Craigslist. It was a good brand, probably 15 years old, but top of the line, totally well taken care of by an older gentleman......WAY better quality then some of the entry level disposable type mowers you can buy now a days....

If folks just used stabilized gas and did 5 minutes of year end maintenance at the end of the season, 90% of repair shops would be out of business. It is amazing how folks just do that last cut of the season, throw the mower in the shed all winter, then wonder why it won't start next spring......

Buy quality stuff, take good care of it, and it will take care of you.

Frank

Old 07-10-2010, 03:46 PM

I have no mechanical abilities at all.

We have a semi-small lawn, definitely not big enough for a riding lawnmower. The front is semi sloped, back yard is flat.

Our budget is preferrably less than 250.

Gas vs electric doesnt bother me either way, but i would prefer bagless over bagged. Zero turn doesnt matter to me either way too.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:58 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
May I suggest this one? I like it, easy to start, easy maintenance. Can use bag or not. Mostly I use the bag during spring spruce up and in late fall to help get leaves up. I can mow fast, and hubby slower when he does mow. Not sure if it is in your budget, but you can check around on prices for the model if interested.
Toro - Recycler Walk Behind Lawn Mower, Gas Powered & Electric Start Push Mowers

good luck ! enjoy your new place!

Last edited by crazyma; 07-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: add a thought

Old 07-10-2010, 04:56 PM

hmm, that is a bit out of our price range
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House