Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:20 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not universal.
Its not anywhere I know of. Here, a 5 foot retaining wall not physically connected to a dwelling requires no permit at all and no engineering sign off. For my part, I tied the reinforced wall into the footer with steel and probably spent $250 extra on it. It will never move.

Those engineered stones are expensive and temporary. I've seen them wavy and sagging after just a few years.

Last edited by Wilson513; 02-28-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Its not anywhere I know of. Here, a 5 foot retaining wall not physically connected to a dwelling requires no permit at all and no engineering sign off. For my part, I tied the reinforced wall into the footer with steel and probably spent $250 extra on it. It will never move.

Those engineered stones are expensive and temporary. I've seen them wavy and sagging after just a few years.
Everything is temporary- including poured concrete. Likewise I've seen a poured wall installed incorrectly and blow out or crack vertically in no time as well.

The engineered block, if installed correctly, will not move much if at all. Mine didn't move a bit. You have to have a compacted footer trench, first course almost buried and level as level is. You have to have a french drain and you have to backfill the wall with material that drains well, in my case it was crushed limestone called 'crush and run'. The hollow cavities of the block are filled with crush and run as well. Each block is fairly massive, then add the weight of the fill and it's pretty damned permanent. The blocks have a 1/4" set back each course, so you get the desired pitch when installed correctly.

Cheap block is not a solution for a project like this- you have to get the big stuff and do it right.

By the way there was a height threshold that would trigger an engineered wall. I don;t recall what it was, but I was under it.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
That's not universal.
I agree.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Everything is temporary- including poured concrete. Likewise I've seen a poured wall installed incorrectly and blow out or crack vertically in no time as well.

The engineered block, if installed correctly, will not move much if at all. Mine didn't move a bit.

Portland is a city of weather extremes. One look at the rainfall chart will tell you why the OP will not use a stacked block wall. I am sure that being from Montana you know that the weather and earth movement, mud slides, highway closures from flooding etc. that Portland has every year won't happen once per 100 years in Billings for example. You could put up an unreinforced masonry wall in Montana and find it right where it was 100 years later. In Portland, when the winter rain starts, you might not find your car where you parked it the night before.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Default When at first you don't succeed...

Quote:
That's not universal.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I agree.

Hopes-
BBI
Wilson513-
http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/bldgins...sp_pdf9790.pdf
accufitgolf-
Lexington County :: Community Development :: Building Permits FAQ
for the OP-
Retaining Walls

Here's some random picks (just so you know I'm not trying to pull the wool over anybody's eyes)-

Minnesota Rules, Chapter 1300.0120, subp. 4, addresses work exempt from permit
requirements. The current language will remain unchanged when the 2007 Minnesota
State Building Code is adopted. This rule indicates “retaining walls that are not over four
feet (1,219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall,
unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids.” Thus, retaining
walls less than four feet in height will remain exempt from building permits.

Ft. Worth, TX
Retaining Walls | City of Fort Worth, Texas

Folsom, CA
http://www.folsom.ca.us/civica/fileb...sp?BlobID=2580

Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Portland is a city of weather extremes. One look at the rainfall chart will tell you why the OP will not use a stacked block wall. I am sure that being from Montana you know that the weather and earth movement, mud slides, highway closures from flooding etc. that Portland has every year won't happen once per 100 years in Billings for example. You could put up an unreinforced masonry wall in Montana and find it right where it was 100 years later. In Portland, when the winter rain starts, you might not find your car where you parked it the night before.
That wall I pictured was installed in my previous home in Eastern West Virginia. The average annual precipitation in Martinsburg WV is 39.4", Portland 43.1" (according to US climate data). Portland may have different soil types, but I'm sure it doesn't have the same freeze thaw cycles as Martinsburg, WV- yes?

No matter- if installed correctly soil types will have little to do with it. The wall will do it's job, IMO.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,683 times
Default photos please

Quote:
Footer and reinforced poured concrete, then stucco the visible side. 100 years from now someone will be grateful. And, it is by far the nicest and most natural looking choice. I'll put up some photos of mine (60 feet).
We are faced with same timber issue. Would love to see your photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House