Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 PM

878 posts, read 2,005,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
You say they are complaining. What action has the City taken? Have they issued a stop order, or fined you, or even cited you with violations? If so, then you are in the wrong. If not, they are probably getting tired of responding to obvious dubious calls.

If they haven't cited you, then why worry about it?

On the other side of the coin.....I lived across the street from a guy that took three years to build his house. For three years I had to look at his unfinished house, with construction crap all over his yard. A call to the County was worthless. All he had to do was show "some progress" to get his permit extended (they are only good for a year). While he finally finished and moved in, his yard is still a dumping ground for crap he brings home from work, or somehow collects. For instance, there are two a/c units sitting next to his garage, and three basketball goals laying in the side yard.
Inspectors have been coming to the house and my family had to take time off work just to be there when they were inspecting. I'm sure no one would like a notice on their doors saying that inspectors looking to come in and check. It's not a problem since we're not doing anything illegal but to make false accusations and to take time from work, it's tiring. Any house with complaints filed under their houses look bad, doesn't matter if there are violations or not (well, it does matter but we don't have any). It is so obvious that people are trying to toy with us and give us a hard time.

It shouldn't be people's problem to look at other's houses and complain about something they don't like...after all, it is their property. I'm just so annoyed about the immaturity of these people that thrive on people's misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Looking at your past posts, you're in Astoria. Astoria has been in some sort of transition multiple times over the past 25ish years. Its gone from mini-neighborhoods to becoming mixed (it had a hispanic, italian & greek mostly). All this while Sunnyside and Maspeth have stayed more stable. These neighbors are probably remnants of the old mini neighborhood that was once there. In short they are bigots.

If you are still doing work that requires permits, post them in the front windows. If permit required work has been completed, post the passed inspection reports in the windows. If the contractors are using music radios, ask them to stop. Passed that they can call inspectors and the police all they want and they will do nothing.

Here is the NYC noise ordinance if you haven't read it yet.

Noise Codes & Complaints
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/noise_constr_rule.pdf

Passed that they will never be good neighbors.
Thanks for that. Our home has been completed with some very minor issues within the house. I'm only concerned about the kind of absurd complaints they make about seeing something and fast forward to assumptions. There is probably nothing I can do about that.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,072,739 times
We had a similar situation a while back when we bought a house in a transitional neighborhood. The house had been empty for 5 yrs. The house was a little rough so we started fixing it up. New windows, new doors, new landscaping. Nothing to create major noise and in fact our neighbors were very noisy themselves. Personally, I don't think they liked the change. Several neighbors enjoyed using the driveway and backyard. So when we moved in that stopped. The only major thing we did that created some sort of annoyance was that we had the driveway replaced. The neighbor across the street pounded on my door and demanded when the work would be done. He had only been home an hour and the work was almost finished. We sold the house because the neighborhood was getting worse. An investor bought it and from what I hear he rented to a variety of shady characters. When the real estate market tanked he dumped the house. I drove by it a few years ago. Grass was high, gutters falling off the house and over all just looked beaten. Someone was parked in the driveway. I bet the neighbors are glad its empty again. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
We had a similar situation a while back when we bought a house in a transitional neighborhood. The house had been empty for 5 yrs. The house was a little rough so we started fixing it up. New windows, new doors, new landscaping. Nothing to create major noise and in fact our neighbors were very noisy themselves. Personally, I don't think they liked the change. Several neighbors enjoyed using the driveway and backyard. So when we moved in that stopped. The only major thing we did that created some sort of annoyance was that we had the driveway replaced. The neighbor across the street pounded on my door and demanded when the work would be done. He had only been home an hour and the work was almost finished. We sold the house because the neighborhood was getting worse. An investor bought it and from what I hear he rented to a variety of shady characters. When the real estate market tanked he dumped the house. I drove by it a few years ago. Grass was high, gutters falling off the house and over all just looked beaten. Someone was parked in the driveway. I bet the neighbors are glad its empty again. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

Whoa, I'm sorry about that. That was so obnoxious of the neighbors. I think that neighborhood has been infested with stupidity.

So glad you sold that house. It probably wouldn't have been a more pleasant experience living around those people.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:02 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,578,252 times
Quote:
I'm only concerned about the kind of absurd complaints they make about seeing something and fast forward to assumptions.
Doesn't matter much at this point. If the constrution part is complete, then no inspectors should be showing up as all the required paperwork is on file. If they start calling the police instead, and the police find nothing they will start giving them fines for filing false claims. If the get enough fines then they can be arrested.

Research the following penal codes if you like:240.50, 240.55, and 240.60.

If it goes further than you can take them to court for for defamation, and possibly for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Its stuff like this that makes me not miss living or working in NYC anymore. But I do miss some of the great restaurants on Steinway.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter much at this point. If the constrution part is complete, then no inspectors should be showing up as all the required paperwork is on file. If they start calling the police instead, and the police find nothing they will start giving them fines for filing false claims. If the get enough fines then they can be arrested.

Research the following penal codes if you like:240.50, 240.55, and 240.60.

If it goes further than you can take them to court for for defamation, and possibly for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Its stuff like this that makes me not miss living or working in NYC anymore. But I do miss some of the great restaurants on Steinway.
Thank you!! The downside is that they deal with it on the internet like trolls to the Department of Buildings. People can get away with almost anything online.

At this point, I cannot take them to court for infliction of emotional distress right? I'd love to do something about it but since they are kept anonymous, it's much harder. You'd think that living in NYC, people would have more common sense...

BTW, Steinway has changed a lot over the years. All the good restaurants are on 30th Ave.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,578,252 times
Quote:
All the good restaurants are on 30th Ave.
I guess the movie theater and pizzaria are gone by now off the corner of 30th & Steinway.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I guess the movie theater and pizzaria are gone by now off the corner of 30th & Steinway.
Oh yeah. I think the theater burned down about 10 years ago. It's a Duane Reade now & not sure about which pizzeria.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
I'm amazed your family has lived on that street for 30 years and you have no idea who the enemies are.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,348,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
As of now, we don't know who is being the snitch or who are the snitches. We just know that someone/people are after us.
Ever state and city has an open records law which requires building inspectors and police and zoning people, everyone, to provide copies or inspection (usually free of charge) of every written document they receive ro notation of verbal communications they receive.

All it usually takes is a short letter request, mentioning a date limit (last two years, etc.) and an address. Find out for sure who is complaining. Facts are your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House