Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times

Advertisements

Enjoying watching it all and best of luck. That said, it reinforces my belief to buy new and have it done as I want it done......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
That is a neat bath tub in the first picture. What did you do with it?

Those are much better than the plastic and fiberglass junk they sell today. You should sell it or give it away on Craigs list if you did not throw it out.

We have a very similar tub in one of our bathrooms. The tub has a manufacturing date on it 1930. Are you sure that is from the 1940s? It could well be that they kept making them the same for 10 or more years.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
The following were taken today Monday night one week after beginning the project. A little slower than I had thought but I will trade speed for getting exactly what I want.

Except for setting fixtures all the plumbing is done and here is the drain for the toilet.

Standing by the door (remember this is a very small bathroom) the jacuzzi tub area with soffit.

Looking up at can light above the tub. Fixture coming out is for shower nozzle.

I got a very small closet for towels. The only piece of drywall left to do was the back of this closet and it went up right after I took the photo. All drywall is hung.

Tomorrow we hang durarock around the shower enclosure, tape, mud and sand. Yeah, if I think the house is a mess now just wait until tomorrow!

The heat lamp so when wife gets out of the tub on winter days.

Shower nozzle again.

I guess I should take a video and post on youtube.

Cost of the project so far.

Vanity, toilet, jacuzzi and new hot water heater: $2,250

Lights, fans, heat lamp $475

Flooring (high quality linoleum), tile and grout $450

Drywall, Durarock, studs, flooring (all replaced) and some tools $825

(Now I am starting to scare myself)

Electrician $200

Plumber $1,400 (remember he replaced all drain lines in the crawl space so his work extended a good distance beyond the bathroom)

Labor $1,100

Pizza and lunches for the guys $150

Total so far $5,450.

Things yet to get are crown molding, baseboards, and a little cabinetry which I would estimate will end up around $500.

Altogether, material and labor should end up costing me right around $7,000 and I had $8,000 in the budget so doing ok. Of course I was hoping it would all cost $6,000 but when you tear into a 70 year old house you never know what you might find... but I haven't found any buried treasure yet.

The way it is going I should get everything done at the end of Friday or at least that is what I am hoping.

I should also mention no work last Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is a neat bath tub in the first picture. What did you do with it?

Those are much better than the plastic and fiberglass junk they sell today. You should sell it or give it away on Craigs list if you did not throw it out.

We have a very similar tub in one of our bathrooms. The tub has a manufacturing date on it 1930. Are you sure that is from the 1940s? It could well be that they kept making them the same for 10 or more years.
The tub had a manufacture date of 1947.

If it had been a soaker tub or had claw feet I would have reused it.

I gave it to one of the guys.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
It's looking great. Thanks for posting the progress.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
My parents and some friends of ours used the linoleum (vinyl) tiles you are talking about and LOVE them. We plan to use them in our next house.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Wow you are doing a good job with the buidget. I would have guessed a total cost of $12,000 to $20,000. A lot depends on the fixtures you choose. You can pay $200 for Delta or Moen or $2500 for G & S. There is a qualit difference, but not 10x.

What are your tub/enclosure made of. We put a jaccuzzi tub/steam shower unit in the basement and it is made of fiberglass I think, but it is thin and too flexible. It bows under the weight of an adult. I want to rpelace it with somethign better evnetually, but i am not sure what is out there. They do nto make them out of metal anymore as far as I know. What did you get?

WE really do nto use the jaccuzzi tub, but as I gt older, I suspect that I will have more need for it, espeically if I eventually retire and have time to sit in a bathub.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Wow you are doing a good job with the buidget. I would have guessed a total cost of $12,000 to $20,000. A lot depends on the fixtures you choose. You can pay $200 for Delta or Moen or $2500 for G & S. There is a qualit difference, but not 10x.
I got some pretty good discounts at a couple of supply houses the company does business with. I think I got real good deals.

Seven years ago I managed a motel project for a high end 5 star resort where in 2006 the cheapest rooms were $700/night with a five night minimum stay.

To give an idea the average Hampton Inn runs around $50,000 per room to build. 100 rooms = $5 million.

This place ended up being $750,000 per room. Very high end with each room being a suite with two bathrooms.

The bathrooms were amazing, the contractor cost on fixtures alone (which was only plumbing fixtures not including sink, tub or toilet) was $30,000/suite.

The bathroom sink faucets were $5,000 each and yeah, they do make them. Solid nickle with thermostatic controls. Very nice.

They were touted as "no drip" so I sat there one day for 15 minutes turning a faucet on and off to see if I could get it to drip. I couldn't.

Oh how this job was watched. At the high end it had 800 workers and everyone was terrified one of these fixtures would be pilfered to end up in Billy Bob's trailer somewhere. The day they made delivery I was surprised they didn't have armed guards... 200 sets of fixtures @ $30k/set is a lot of money.

But you can't go wrong with a good Delta faucet.

Quote:
What are your tub/enclosure made of. We put a jaccuzzi tub/steam shower unit in the basement and it is made of fiberglass I think, but it is thin and too flexible. It bows under the weight of an adult. I want to rpelace it with somethign better evnetually, but i am not sure what is out there. They do nto make them out of metal anymore as far as I know. What did you get?

WE really do nto use the jaccuzzi tub, but as I gt older, I suspect that I will have more need for it, espeically if I eventually retire and have time to sit in a bathub.
The Jacuzzi is fiberglass and I checked for strength, no give no squeaks. For the enclosure I am going with 12x12 tile on durarock.

As I said the Jacuzzi is for my wife. I will never see her again.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,407 times
this looks amazing. I want to remodel my bathroom in a few years. It is so small & ugly .

Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
As I said the Jacuzzi is for my wife. I will never see her again.

LOL! In that case, many husbands would then say that the Jacuzzi is for them.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM

The Linoleum is down!

Finally things are starting to happen!

The floor looks "wavy" in this photo but it is perfectly flat. Don't know what caused the optical illusion but here is the other half.

Of course it will look better once the baseboard is down... and the walls finished etc but this is the first time it is actually starting to look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House