Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

The FTC finally cracks down on window markete(e)rs!

Window Marketers Settle FTC Charges That They Made Deceptive Energy Efficiency and Cost Savings Claims

I can't count the times I get asked the question about the thermal qualities of replacement windows. The physics alone don't support the claims that some marketers were stating- finally there's a push-back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
^^^Good that they did that!

Mine are one of the earlier older versions of energy savings Anderson windows...
they work great or are even better than the others we experienced...
& my electric bill is still 1/2 of what we had to pay in the old place (1/2 the sq footage we now have) that is a new home w/ new energy savings window (dunno the brand) & all the new home stuff that comes with it.

That newer home has paper thin walls while we now have plaster... you can hear the wind howling on a normal windy day while here w/ plaster walls & Anderson windows & doors... with Irene (130 MPH wind; w/ down big branches all over our yard)... is much quieter than the old place.

Older but still energy savings window may have a quality that being "pioneer" has... you know how like starting an innovation, how people tend to work harder to make sure the idea works.... I think with "pioneer" stuff, quality is generally better than the "after the fact" mass produced in quantity to push for profits.

Just like appliances... I remember how awesome my 1930s GE stove is (how thick the element is) while nowadays, with the modern appliance quality ???? That is why they "push" that further profit of that "warranty" for that JIC!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 12:05 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Inflated claims are all too common.

The ones that get me are the articles in the media touting the energy savings in new refrigerators. Refrigerator energy usage DID make a big leap in the right direction a few years back, but by now most people already have reasonably energy efficient models.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Window Marketers Settle FTC Charges That They Made Deceptive Energy Efficiency and Cost Savings Claims

I can't count the times I get asked the question about the thermal qualities of replacement windows. The physics alone don't support the claims that some marketers were stating- finally there's a push-back.
Thanks for sharing!

My older/historic home has the original wood windows (yes, with pulleys and everything!) which have been maintained and in extremely good condition. I get sick of people telling me to replace them because they're "soooooo drafty" . The previous owner installed storm windows in part of the house which seem to work well. I plan to install more on the rest of the windows.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

I see Long Fence is included in the list of deceptive companies. I used to have a friend that worked there over 15 years ago, primarily when they were a fencing contractor and they were crooked then..

Old 03-18-2012, 04:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I don't think I ever believed their sales pitch of money savings... I been in all sorts of homes with various windows and know that the windows don't mean much except if there is a huge wall of them... it seems the wall insulation matter more in energy savings...

Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
It is about time. If you look into facts, people will never recoup the absurd charge for replacement windows.

I do not remember the numbers, but I spent a lot of time looking into this.

Most heat loss is through the attic/roof.

Single pane windows have an R value of something like 1.5 (Do nto remamber the actual number). Double pane cas charged windiws have an R-value of something like 4 (at first, it goes down with time). Glass is a terrible insulator, and if you add more glass, it is still a terroble insulator. Air or other gases are better insulators, but not great. Would you want a house that uses iar or other gases as insulation int he walls?

Old leaky windows cause a lot of heat loss. The answer is to fix them, not replace them. Much cheaper and your house will look better.

These misleading scams are repulsive. People are cheated out of substantial, sometimes all of their savings thinking they will save money. They should jail these people, not fine them.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Windows are giant holes in the thermal envelope that have the lowest insulation value in the home.

They can make a difference on power bills but a very little one.

You'd be better off changing to a more efficient HVAC unit doing a blower door test and sealing up all of your infiltration areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House