Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:44 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,681,743 times

Advertisements

Uh huh... those buggers.
I probably killed like between 750 - 1K (500 the last I posted on these peskies) of those before winter set in... hopefully their numbers will decline this year. The more you kill, the less they can reproduce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmom View Post
I keep finding these bugs in my house, always around the windows. They can fly a bit, but usually they are just crawling around the frame. What the heck is it? (sorry for the blurry photo, it didn't stay still to get its picture taken!).

It's a stink bug. They spray.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
We have got these bugs in NJ now.. I never saw one , now they are in NJ .. a new bug to our area.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,418,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
We have got these bugs in NJ now.. I never saw one , now they are in NJ .. a new bug to our area.
Yep, we're seeing them in my area too...they've only been in this country since about 1998, first noticed in Allentown, PA.

Quote:
The brown marmorated stink bug was accidentally introduced into the United States from China or Japan. It is believed to have "hitched a ride" as a stowaway in packing crates. The first documented specimen was collected in Allentown, Pennsylvania, in September 1998. Several Muhlenberg College students were reported to have seen these bugs as early as August of that same year.
Brown marmorated stink bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Uh huh... those buggers.
I probably killed like between 750 - 1K (500 the last I posted on these peskies) of those before winter set in... hopefully their numbers will decline this year. The more you kill, the less they can reproduce.
Well, the picture is little blurry, so I am not sure, but I think this is not a stink bug but spined soldier bug.
The first is a serious plant pest and household invader, the second is is a beneficial predator that feeds primarily on the larvae of beetles and caterpillars of moths, and its diet includes a number of serious garden pest species. This bug should not be killed.
OP, try to get a better picture for more accurate identification.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Cro...ssehodgson.htm
http://www.dpughphoto.com/true_bugs.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Help please - what kind of bug is this?-bugs.png  

Last edited by elnina; 03-22-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,681,743 times
^^^Thanks for clearing it up...
The ones I killed stink to high heaven... so I know its a stink bug.
And anything not "native" to the land is not necessary good for the land because...
They spread like crazy & is pretty much indestructible (and thus noooo natural predator to eat them)... meaning there is really nothing effective yet out there, thus the spread.

They not only stink... but will invade your home w/ their stinkiness during the transition to winter months (when they needs to hibernate in a warmer area = house). They are so numerous that may cover a whole part of the siding trying to get in = black w/ thousands of them.

Remember... if there is one... there'll be thousands & hundreds of thousands "waiting"...
And plz... kill as many as you can get yr hands on so they do not multiply = do community a service.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:06 PM

293 posts, read 885,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, the picture is little blurry, so I am not sure, but I think this is not a stink bug but spined soldier bug.
The first is a serious plant pest and household invader, the second is is a beneficial predator that feeds primarily on the larvae of beetles and caterpillars of moths, and its diet includes a number of serious garden pest species. This bug should not be killed.
OP, try to get a better picture for more accurate identification.

brown marmorated stink bug
True Bugs

Very interesting. I think you may be right that what I have is the good bug. Either way, I haven't ever squashed them - what I usually do now is catch them lightly with a paper towel, open the screen and toss the towel and bug right out (with me squealing throughout the entire process...). I'll work on getting a better picture next time.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
I always thought we had "stink bugs" but I squish them and haven't noticed any stink - no smell at all, so maybe they aren't stink bugs. If I squish just 1 and there's no smell, is it possible it's still a stink bug? If not, I'm going to stop squishing them.

BTW, my kitten loves to play with them before eating.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:41 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
It's a stink bug, and lemmie tell ya; I would rather smell skunk than to squish one of those things! BLECH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Yep, we're seeing them in my area too...they've only been in this country since about 1998, first noticed in Allentown, PA.

Brown marmorated stink bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That can't be right, I remember stink bugs in Kentucky when I was a kid (in the 70's and 80's), that's where I learned not to mess with the buggers.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Yes Cav these are New! Thank China for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House