Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times

Advertisements

We did our research and just knew epoxy grout was what we needed when we remodeled our older house we bought in May. We live on 10 acres, we have a huge pond, we have pets, etc. We hired a remodeling company and they called in their tile sub that has done most of their tiling work for them. The remodeling company we hired mostly does new homes but has started to do remodeling too. We made sure to ask whether the tile install company was familiar with epoxy installation...their response was "yes." Come to find out later when discussing this problem this was only their 3rd time using it!!!!!

We picked out a great light porcelain tile that 99% of folks thought was real stone. We had the 20x20 and 12x12 tile set in a pin-wheel pattern with a light epoxy grout. Long story short, there is now a dirty haze and oily sheen all over the 1450 sq ft of tile we had them install.

We have been told the epoxy was applied incorrectly and the guys the tile sub used, well, they have been fired. This was discovered a month ago after painter's pulled up the brown paper that was laid to protect the floor. After the tile was installed we didn't have anyone on the floors for 4 days to make sure it properly cured. We (remodel company and us) are scared to death this tile company will just walk away. The owner of the tile company has assured everyone they are willing to rectify the situation. BUT guess what???!!!! After trying all kinds of removers and even acid, this stuff will not come off. Which means the entire newly tiled floor will have to be torn up and relaid!!!! I can't tell you how we are feeling, that's a whole other post. We are worried about our new trim, new kitchen cabinets, new paint and our new wood built-ins being damaged on removal and install.

QUESTION-->On the re-installation of our tile, we are now wondering whether we should switch to just regular plain old grout or find someone who is truly experienced in epoxy installation. Anyone out there with opinions on what type of grout you would use in this situation?? Any suggestions??? Any areas we should further research??? If we use regular grout is there an outstanding grout sealer?

Thank you in advance for any advice and/or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I suggest you ask your questions over at www.johnbridge.com forums. There are tiling experts over there who can answer your questions and give you ideas on what needs to be done.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Before you tear out the floor, talk with the company that makes the grout.

We had it used in an outdoor tile installation and it worked great.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Before you tear out the floor, talk with the company that makes the grout.

We had it used in an outdoor tile installation and it worked great.

The installers used everything the company (C-Cure) of the epoxy grout suggested to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion though. Trust me, no one wants to tear it out if it can be avoided.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I suggest you ask your questions over at www.johnbridge.com forums. There are tiling experts over there who can answer your questions and give you ideas on what needs to be done.
Thank you...I will!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I think with $25000 of tile involved (I assume) that you might also want to touch base with your insurance company just in the unlikely event that when all is said and done the tile sub does claims something was spilled, accidently applied, etc. I know it sounds extreme, but it is better to have the insurance company in from the outset than not. Truth is, you don't know what the problem is exactly even though probably the remodeler or the sub tried to wash the not yet dried epoxy off with solvent the way one might wash off conventional grout with water.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think with $25000 of tile involved (I assume) that you might also want to touch base with your insurance company just in the unlikely event that when all is said and done the tile sub does claims something was spilled, accidentally applied, etc. I know it sounds extreme, but it is better to have the insurance company in from the outset than not. Truth is, you don't know what the problem is exactly even though probably the remodeler or the sub tried to wash the not yet dried epoxy off with solvent the way one might wash off conventional grout with water.
We have saved all the text messages from the sub that admits fault and apologizes to us. In those text messages the sub also states he will do what he needs to do to make it right.

We were told tonight by our remodel company that they are calling in a 2nd opinion that will be here Friday morning. This 2nd opinion is going to try to bring the local C-Cure rep with him to assess the situation. According to our contractor, this 2nd opinion has only done epoxy grout in commercial settings. He didn't understand why we had it used in such a large area. We're not sure what is true (regarding epoxy being used in a large area residentially) or what our contractor is saying to us to deter us from epoxy in the future. We are in phase I of a three phase remodel.

The remodeling company we hired is a large scale residential/commercial company in our state. May be we are naive, but we feel they will stand by us because the contractor and company owner have been battling this out for us.

I promise to keep this thread posted on what happens with the 2nd professional opinion on Friday and what our final resolution becomes.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 AM

600 posts, read 3,449,059 times
I have epoxy grout in all of the tile and stone applications in my house. Since I am in the business (since 1976) I have quite a bit of it.

The epoxy is not the culprit here. The installer is the culprit. Material failure is very seldom the reason that installations fail or end up looking awful. It's nearly always the installer. Most tile installers are used to using cementitious grouts which are applied and initially cleaned on one day, and then final cleaning is done the next day. Epoxy grouts are not like that. They must be cleaned immediately after installation, or else that haze will be "permanent". Unless the grout mfr. has a cleaning solution for you.

Stone Tech (A DuPont co.) makes a product called "Epoxy Grout Haze Remover". DalTile (Off of Airport Blvd, near RDU) sells it. I've never used it in a setting as large as yours, but I wanted you to know about it, fwiw.

Get the grout mfr. substantially involved. C-Cure does not want a bad job out there with their name on it, so they should be willing to help. The installer should be on the hook for any costs involved, but you'll probably have to seek that from your remodeler since (I assume) your contract is with them and not the tile contractor.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I am not soliciting business here. Just trying to be helpful.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think with $25000 of tile involved (I assume) that you might also want to touch base with your insurance company just in the unlikely event that when all is said and done the tile sub does claims something was spilled, accidently applied, etc. I know it sounds extreme, but it is better to have the insurance company in from the outset than not. Truth is, you don't know what the problem is exactly even though probably the remodeler or the sub tried to wash the not yet dried epoxy off with solvent the way one might wash off conventional grout with water.
Bad advice. Do not contact your insurance company unless you have a claim to file. They can and may raise your rate just for contacting them and letting them know you may have a claim.

Furthermore, this wouldn't be a covered claim on most policies.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:15 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Bad advice. Do not contact your insurance company unless you have a claim to file. They can and may raise your rate just for contacting them and letting them know you may have a claim.

Furthermore, this wouldn't be a covered claim on most policies.
Wrong again. Homeowners policies are only rated for dogs and trampolines and specifics. Unless you buy rip off insurance that claims you get discounts for no claims. None of the majors rate homeowners for bona fide casualties other than their list of no no's.

And, if it is negligent damage to the property not done by the insured, which it might be, of course it would be a covered claim. Where do these uninformed people come from?

And, when homeowners companies do rate you do to a dog bite or equivalent, they don't do it until the claim is paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House