Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:19 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,581,723 times

Advertisements

I have A Dyson and it is fantastic. No bags, and no loss of suction ever. Very powerful , a bit expensive but mine has lasted years and years so far without any troubles. The Dyson Animal DC14 would probably be the best for you. They also have a HEPA filter which is very good for people with allergies or asthma and can also be used on hard floors as well as carpets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 8,364 times
Has anyone used the Roomba Robotic Vacuum Cleaner? Its a robot that automatically vacuums and sweeps up dirt. You can use it on carpet, hardwood floors and ceramic. I would like to know if you like it, and if you would recommend it to anyone.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 PM

25 posts, read 93,619 times
I'm so happy that people actually responded to my post! Thank you all for the advice... I think we will be going with the Dyson Animal. But may look at the others too, as I have heard good things about the Miele.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,946,963 times
Hope this helps:

ConsumerReports.org - Canister vacuum cleaners

Old 09-13-2007, 10:02 PM

421 posts, read 3,217,017 times
Just an FYI before you buy your vacuum, especially since its so expensive! I got a lot of great advice on a forum for vacuums for professional vacuum repair/salespeople! If I remember correctly, they didn't have great things to say about Dyson because so much of it is made of plastic, but that was 3+ years ago.

Anyway, I can't remember the website since I found it by accident I don't think this is the right forum ..but its interesting anyway...

Vacuum Cleaner Forum

good luck with the pet hair !

Old 09-14-2007, 03:29 PM

105 posts, read 495,147 times
In case anyone is thinking of buying an Electrolux, you should be aware that what's now sold under the name 'Electrolux' (actually for the past 10 years) is NOT the vacuum made by the same company as the one your mom -- or quite possibly your grandmother! -- had for years and years and was the best vacuum that money could buy.

The so-called 'Electrolux' being sold today is made by another company entirely; they acquired the name but nothing else -- I believe this happened sometime in the 1990s. The TRUE (good, reliable workhorse vacuum that will handle anything and everything and last literally from one generation to the next) is still being made by the same company but is sold nowadays under the brand name 'AERUS'.

We have two of these (Aerus), in fact -- one for downstairs and one for upstairs. Our first one was the 'Lux 9000' model (when we had a 1-story house) and then when we bought this colonial several years later I bought another one but they changed the model name to the 'Guardian'. It is the same model though.

Yes they are pricey ($1100 for the first one and $1400 for the second) but IMO they are STILL the best vacuums money can buy.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:07 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,545,606 times
Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but with so many great responses, I have a ? also, What is the quietest among the best?

Old 09-14-2007, 08:36 PM

323 posts, read 1,966,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but with so many great responses, I have a ? also, What is the quietest among the best?
When I was researching them 4 or 5 years ago the Miele was the quietest that I was able to find - by far. Not sure if that's changed since then, though.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:56 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,295,975 times
I just purchased a Dyson DC 15 Animal, and I absolutely love it. A quick list of what I love about it:

1. Picks up everything - and I mean everything. We have two long-haired dogs, and they shed everywhere. I empty the bin a lot, but that's because it picks up so much.
2. The low floor brush attachment that allows me to vacuum under every piece of furniture I have. Saves my back since I don't have to move couches.
3. The upholstery attachment with a beater brush - really gets my furniture clean, and gets all the dog hair off of the couches.
4. No bags, belts or filters to replace. You can rinse the HEPA filter clean and reuse.
5. It's so much quieter than my previous vacuum.
6. I can turn off the beater brush, for when I'm cleaning the wood floor.
7. The beater brush is very easy to disassemble and clean; since there are no belts, you don't have to struggle to put it back together.
8. The canister is SO easy to empty. Taking it off and putting it back on the cleaner is effortless, and you just hold it over a trash can and push a button to empty it.

Can you tell I love it?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:30 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,643,464 times
I have a Sebo that I tested and bought from a vacuum shop. Here is a link from an allergy website (I have the red one): Sebo Vacuums - X4, X5 Upright Automatic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House