U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 07:08 AM

25 posts, read 89,214 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a new house with carpet on the 2nd floor. My two black hair dogs are already turning the new tan carpet black!

I'd love reviews on your vacuum cleaners so I don't spend too much money on one that doesn't end up picking up dog hair!

I know this is a random question, but any help is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,043,086 times
i would buy the Ridgid from home depot....i have owned 2-3 vaccuums that were 200-300 each. Ridgid was like 110bucks....14gallon, 6.5HP....and it sucks up everything, and their grandchildren.

i would suggest probably the 4HP....because the one i bought is REALLY strong...and you might ache your back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe06 View Post
I just moved into a new house with carpet on the 2nd floor. My two black hair dogs are already turning the new tan carpet black!

I'd love reviews on your vacuum cleaners so I don't spend too much money on one that doesn't end up picking up dog hair!

I know this is a random question, but any help is appreciated!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 AM

245 posts, read 234,614 times
If you want to spend some $$ Kirby is the way to go IMO

Old 09-12-2007, 09:36 AM

95 posts, read 294,894 times
Arrow Vacuums

I own a shedding breed. So I know what the hair issue is all about. lol I own a dyson animal right now, Its the purple one. I didnt buy it new I bought a referbished one online.
I have had it for 2 yrs an it has never failed me. I love the exstended wand for the stairs. It was a bit pricey about 289.00 thats with shipping, its cheaper now I would think. But well worth it in my book. The other vacs I have had just dont compaire when you are dealing with doggie hair issues.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 AM

5,115 posts, read 15,970,491 times
I have a small dog and the Dyson Animal DC14 works great on pet hair. I paid $549 for my vaccuum. There is another model DC7 which is the prior model before few modifications. What I don't like about the vacuum is the awkward placement of the handle when using the wand, the noise level, the fact that you can't tip it backwards without first locking the the the handle in the upright position, and the amount of heat it puts off. I love having an easy to empty canister.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:30 PM

4,972 posts, read 11,287,132 times
I also recommend Dyson. We have 2 shedding dogs and 2 cats. It picks up all the pet hair very well and the canister is easy to empty.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 PM

8,672 posts, read 21,584,928 times
I don't know specifically about dog hair, but I would highly recommend my Sanitaire vacuum. I had never heard of Sanitaire until I got this vacuum at a special store that sell vacuum cleaners. I love the vacuum. It is wonderful for its suction power. (It's my understanding that a Sanitaire is kinda the "industrial strength" Eureka.)

Old 09-12-2007, 03:44 PM

323 posts, read 1,918,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe06 View Post

No dogs here but 10 cats, some of them. over the years, long haired, will stress test a vacuum as well.

We had a Kirby and it does a fine job. If you're currently deaf or don't mind getting that way it's a good choice When we went to replace it we tried a variety and the Miele won hands down, even though it's a canister vacuum. Don't remember seeing the Dyson, though, so I can't compare it. The Miele has been quiet, powerful and very reliable. It's also hideously expensive, but it was worth the extra for the peace and quiet.

Now that we're in a place with wood floors throughout I'm even happier with the choice we made. Without the powerhead running it's amazingly quiet while still picking up everything.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:10 PM

14,230 posts, read 28,516,623 times
I have a Dyson animal. Works very well but you have to empty it a lot. I guess because it picks up all the hair!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:13 PM

421 posts, read 3,116,072 times
This is one of my favorite topics!! I love vacuum cleaners!!! I have a Simplicity model: Freedom ($250) which I absolutely love because it is sooooo light and so powerful, it will actually race across the carpet by itself if I'm not holding on! The only problem is that it has no attachments. they make one with attachments but I didn't like how heavy it was since I have carpal tunnel in my wrists. Thats also the reason I didn't buy a Dyson. It was too heavy for me to schlep up and down stairs.

I also have a Stinger wet/dry vac from Home depot that was $30 that has a ton of attachments. So I use that if I need to vacuum cracks and crevices. It's actually great to use to clean up vomit/urine from carpet so that it doesn't soak into the pad.

I have 2 long haired cats who eat bugs and things outside, then come inside to throw up .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House