Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:19 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

hi,
so i'm almost done with the kitchen remodel.....my cabinets are in and today, the granite guy is coming to set the 'original' granite back in place.

my kitchen sink is also the one i already had on there and it mounts under the granite. (ps. the granite and the sink are only 3 years old).

my question was about 'setting the sink' in place.......right now, the sink cabinet's openning is too large for the sink.....and i was wondering if the sink would get glued onto the granite by the granite guys, or whether i need to set the sink in place before they can put the granite back on.

please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
hi,
so i'm almost done with the kitchen remodel.....my cabinets are in and today, the granite guy is coming to set the 'original' granite back in place.

my kitchen sink is also the one i already had on there and it mounts under the granite. (ps. the granite and the sink are only 3 years old).

my question was about 'setting the sink' in place.......right now, the sink cabinet's openning is too large for the sink.....and i was wondering if the sink would get glued onto the granite by the granite guys, or whether i need to set the sink in place before they can put the granite back on.

please advise.
That makes no sense at all. You said you are reusing the original granite as well as the original sink yet now the opening is too big for the sink.

Even if I'm missing something, why would they undo the sink from the granite while temporally removing the whole top?

Anyway......yes the granite guys do glue the sink to the granite before they put the top on but it doesn't matter much, I've seen them put it in after the top was set also.

I read and reread your question to make sure I'm not sounding like a goofball. Do you mean the sink base cabinet is too big? That is impossible really. 85% of every sink base installed is 36" wide which accepts 85% of every sink produced. Most all double bowl sinks are 33" which fits perfectly.

Any further info?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That makes no sense at all. You said you are reusing the original granite as well as the original sink yet now the opening is too big for the sink.

Even if I'm missing something, why would they undo the sink from the granite while temporally removing the whole top?

Anyway......yes the granite guys do glue the sink to the granite before they put the top on but it doesn't matter much, I've seen them put it in after the top was set also.

I read and reread your question to make sure I'm not sounding like a goofball. Do you mean the sink base cabinet is too big? That is impossible really. 85% of every sink base installed is 36" wide which accepts 85% of every sink produced. Most all double bowl sinks are 33" which fits perfectly.

Any further info?

sorry for the confusion....
yes, i do mean the sink base cabinet....and what i mean by 'it's too big' is that i can't just set the sink in there.....the opening is too large and the sink would simply fall through. (the size of the cabinet is fine....the opening isn't.....but i'm guessing that the mechanism for installing an undermount sink is different so it doesn't need to 'sit on' anything....)

Not sure why they removed the sink from the granite....but based on the videos i just watched, the sink would get attached directly to the granite using clamps, and then glued as well. correct?

bottom line.....will the granite guys take care of granite AND the sink or will i need to worry about and place the sink in place somehow before they come?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
there should be some bracing to support the sink in addition to gluing the sink to the granite. I would have some framing added to support the sink, or get a larger sink and have the granite cut to fit the new opening.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
there should be some bracing to support the sink in addition to gluing the sink to the granite. I would have some framing added to support the sink, or get a larger sink and have the granite cut to fit the new opening.

thanks.
i don't want to have a larger sink and i definitely don't want them to cut the granite....
i'll see if i can add some framing wood to support the sink further.....if i don't, will i still be ok or might the sink fall down if there's water/dishes in there?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
If the sink was cut away from the granite from the original install- that could only mean one thing. It wasn't installed correctly to begin with. It was probably just siliconed into place. Not very secure if full of water and a Disposal.
Undermount sinks should be epoxied into place. I'm not a particular fan of "bowtie" clips- though they are good for holding the sink in place until the epoxy has cured. My granite fabricator would use blocks with epoxy to secure the sink in-place. Epoxying the entire perimeter of the sink flange. Then a nice bead of silicone on the topside where the sink meets the granite for a complete water-tight seal.
This type of installation doesn't "cut-off" easily- As a matter of fact, my fabricator won't even take the chance reusing a sink. He'd rather install a new one knowing that he'll get a good bond and no return calls.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM

78 posts, read 330,330 times
Definitely brace it. When I redid the kitchen in my house I installed an undermount deep kolder sink. Thinking with water dishes etc, bathing grandchild; how much do you really lose by playing it safe.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsci teacher View Post
Definitely brace it. When I redid the kitchen in my house I installed an undermount deep kolder sink. Thinking with water dishes etc, bathing grandchild; how much do you really lose by playing it safe.

by "bracing it", do you mean screwing a couple of long pieces of wood and having the sink sit on top of that?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
by "bracing it", do you mean screwing a couple of long pieces of wood and having the sink sit on top of that?
Yes!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:15 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:

One thing you didn't clarify- and I should have asked- What type of sink is it?
SS, composite, or cast iron?
As I previously stated, the process I referred to is for SS type sinks. But if you have cast iron type sink, supports are definitely needed. There are several companies that make supports but they're all pretty much the same. Like these:
Vance Undermount Sink Brackets

Wood bracing is not really the way to go due to sagging, water damage, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House