Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:21 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1121 View Post
about what should an estimate cost
Enough to compensate him for his time and travel expense. Maybe $50 more or less, depending on how long he spends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:29 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Enough to compensate him for his time and travel expense. Maybe $50 more or less, depending on how long he spends.
Just had a contractor come out to bid on some inside carpentry work. (Installation of attic pull down stairs) He charged $75.00 for his bid. That was applied against the cost of the job. (Yes we hired him). I think the amount charge varies depending on the area of the country. I do agree that you should pay something. Bids take time to calculate and generate. As everyone knows, in this economy especially - time IS money!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 AM

18 posts, read 58,037 times
well adjuster came out this morning dont know much more than i did befor hand all he could tell me is that he would figure the estimate and send it in then they would send me a check and if the contractor that does the work goes over that amount they will have to send them an invoice to farmers to review to see if they will pay it (id bet they wouldnt) he also said he didnt know anything about depreciation and shouldnt affect me and the agent on my case must deal with auto policies not home
he wouldnt tell me how much the estimate was

Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
well adjuster came out this morning dont know much more than i did befor hand all he could tell me is that he would figure the estimate and send it in then they would send me a check and if the contractor that does the work goes over that amount they will have to send them an invoice to farmers to review to see if they will pay it (id bet they wouldnt) he also said he didnt know anything about depreciation and shouldnt affect me and the agent on my case must deal with auto policies not home
Definately, DEFINATELY find a differenct contractor. He needs to be working for you to YOUR specifications - not the insurance company's. With the next contractor, please be a bit more forceful. Tell him that you want a FIRM price for the repair, not an estimate, delivered to you, not the insurance company!

The most important thing...YOU WANT A FIRM REPAIR PRICE (EVEN IF ITS A "NOT TO EXCEED" PRICE). NOT NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING THAT SAYS "ESTIMATE"

Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Definately, DEFINATELY find a differenct contractor. He needs to be working for you to YOUR specifications - not the insurance company's. With the next contractor, please be a bit more forceful. Tell him that you want a FIRM price for the repair, not an estimate, delivered to you, not the insurance company!

The most important thing...YOU WANT A FIRM REPAIR PRICE (EVEN IF ITS A "NOT TO EXCEED" PRICE). NOT NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING THAT SAYS "ESTIMATE"
I believe this was the insurance company's adjuster, not the contractor that OP was planning to get an estimate from. When he gets the offer from the insurance company, he still needs his own estimate to see whether the insurance company is in the right ball park.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM

this was the adjuster from the insurance co
and im still trying to get estimates

Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
That is because all he did was list the needed repairs. He will place that in into a computer programs that has current materials and labor cost in your area to come up with a complete breakdown . So he couldn't give you a cost. The computers are so accuarte its more likely more accuartae than a contractor can figure off hand.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
this was the adjuster from the insurance co
and im still trying to get estimates
What I'm trying to make sure you understand is do not get ESTIMATES. Make sure to get cost quotations. Estimates can be argued by the insurance company as just that - an approximation of what it will cost to complete the repair. If you get a cost quotation (that is what will cost between $50.00 and $75.00 to get from a contractor) the insurance company has less room for negotiation. Make sure you get a cost quotation (either fixed or not to exceed) - not an estimate!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
What I'm trying to make sure you understand is do not get ESTIMATES. Make sure to get cost quotations. Estimates can be argued by the insurance company as just that - an approximation of what it will cost to complete the repair. If you get a cost quotation (that is what will cost between $50.00 and $75.00 to get from a contractor) the insurance company has less room for negotiation. Make sure you get a cost quotation (either fixed or not to exceed) - not an estimate!
I see. good to know.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:

ok i didn't realize the difference thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House