Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slusher View Post
Hi K'ledgeBldr,

What should one look for in terms of a good location for a house?

Is it good to be close to schools, churches, stores, etc?
Close to "good" schools, close to "your" church and nearby shops that "you" shop at. One neighborhood close to where I once lived, was/is close to what was a newly built synagogue. Houses in the neighborhood were in demand, but after a while, very little turnover. The reason? Families walked to the synagogue, therefore they wanted to be close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:37 PM

68 posts, read 393,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Close to "good" schools, close to "your" church and nearby shops that "you" shop at. One neighborhood close to where I once lived, was/is close to what was a newly built synagogue. Houses in the neighborhood were in demand, but after a while, very little turnover. The reason? Families walked to the synagogue, therefore they wanted to be close.
Thanks. It seems like you described this house's location. Its in newington,ct very close to good schools (one in particular is walk-able), walk-able to a few churches, one which is very close, and a quick drive to burline turnpike with a ton of stores (thank you google maps).

Theres also a gas station a block or two away on the main street, a deli near by, and a pizza place a block away with good reviews. Somethings are walk-able but most things are a 5-10 minute drive away.

No big construction companies, or other companies with in one mile of the house. Low amount of registered offenders for the area, compared to others near by, but still not a completely rich area with very few things in close proximity.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Neighborhoods with few sales generally mean a stable area in my market, making it more desirable. It includes my own neighborhood where houses generally sell pretty fast (its got to be really overpriced or a real dog to sit unsold). My street was built 55 years ago, and there are still some original owners here. For the first 30 years of its existence, the neighbors always found buyers for the few houses that were sold. The neighbors were that tight!!

Its still a great place, and its been kept up the whole time. Most people, including the older people have done expensive upgrades in the past few years. Lots of new windows, siding, roofs, driveways, landscaping, kitchens, bathrooms, additions. The town repaved the street last summer so everything looks really great at the moment.

I wasn't a real estate agent when I moved in, and was confused on why those houses went so fast. Got the house I have the first day it was on the market. The day I got the key, and went over, I had met the neighbors on both sides in the first 45 minutes! Pretty awesome.

Yeah, I would have no problem with buying in an area where there aren't many sales.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slusher View Post
Hi K'ledgeBldr,

What should one look for in terms of a good location for a house?

Is it good to be close to schools, churches, stores, etc?
It's all of that- and then some. Only the person buying will know if "it" fits their lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
It sounds like there are a bunch of older people in that neighborhood and probably very few young couples with children. Older people can be a drag on younger ones. I have seen it happen.

That's a pretty wild accusation based on-"no houses have sold in awhile".
Though it is true that demographics can play a role in the makeup of a community, it's still a far fetched connotation to say that's why houses haven't been for sale/sold.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 PM

167 posts, read 359,285 times
I've noticed that not too many houses come up for sale in my neighbourhood. All my neighbours have been here for many years. I always figured that was because it's a great neighbourhood, close to everything and great schools. Some of the houses are a little larger so tended to be "move-up" homes. In our situation we moved here from our starter home and have been here ever since (11 + years). We won't move now until we are ready to retire.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Heck, my house was the last one to come on the market on this street, and that was seven years ago. We all must like it here.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
People have been staying put the past several years after the Great Housing Crash and Recession. There have not been many listings in the 9 County Mibor area around Indy. Last time I checked listings were still down.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
Our neighborhood was like that when we bought, but no HOA.

At first, most families seemed to be retired folks or people with older children. But then we got to know folks and found there are a lot of 'private people' here. Some of the houses changed owners, but never went on the market... sold/exchanged/inherited by family.

It's a simple, quiet neighborhood and we really like it here.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It's all of that- and then some. Only the person buying will know if "it" fits their lifestyle.

That's a pretty wild accusation based on-"no houses have sold in awhile".
Though it is true that demographics can play a role in the makeup of a community, it's still a far fetched connotation to say that's why houses haven't been for sale/sold.
I guess it depends on your definition of a while.... but if the homes were built 30 to 40 years ago, and there is little turnover, there ends up being a lot of older people close to retirement age or baby boomers.

In my area that was the case for the most part. Area was built in the 50s, and there was little turnover up until a few years ago. Most homeowners were origional homeowners or the turnover happened in the 70s. Either or, what the demographic was mostly people with college age or older children, and retired people. thankfully we have a few people who are the kids of the origional owners who now own some of the houses, so ther is someone closer to our own age.

Probably not what the neighbors want to hear, but it can be a downer for a young family surrounded by people our parent's age with little youth in the neighborhood

Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of a while....

I didn't set the timeline, nor did I define it. If you read the thread from the beginning...
//www.city-data.com/forum/23794563-post1.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House