Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

How you get in depends on the type of door and opener. Sometimes you just pull hard. Sometimes pull hard, let up a bit and pull hard again. Sometimes you slip a wire in and release the catch. Sometimes you simply use a signal code generator (Costs about $50. It is for figuring out codes for missing electornics remotes. At least that is what it said it is for, works better on garage doors. Sometimes it works fast, sometimes not at all). Sometimes, you just take a car jack and jack up the bottom of the door. The newer openers tend to be easier because they have poorly made gears that are easy to strip out with a little force. Sometimes you have to look at it a bit and think to figure it out. Frequently when I have needed to open someones garage door, I was trying to do it without damage. That takes a bit longer.

Read the manual that comes with the opener. Most of them state that it is not a security device. Look on the internet. I am not interested in looking it up for you, sorry. You can probably find articles about how easy it is to get in when there is just an electronic opener. There have been newscasts about this.

The fact is, I can usualy get into almost any house or garage in a few minutes, often in seconds. It depends on whether damage is a problem. I am not a thief, but the need to get into locked places has come up from time to time. Garage doors are one of the easiest, especially if damage is not a problem and there is an electric opener.

Not all openers use rolling code encryption. Not all openers are new. The one on our carriage house is from 1950. I am not sure when the remote was added, but it is way old. We do not really have crime in our community, so it is not a concern, but that old opener is built like a military device. That door slides to the side anyway, so it is a comepletely different concept.

No one is going to document when someone's garage door opened because of CB or other radio wave or light flashes. However there was a neighborhood where it happend to about 15 houses one day. People speculated that it was a UFO. Eventually someone figured out that it was from CB radios. I do not think it made the paper, but it may have, check the South Lyon Hearald from about 1977 through 1985 if you have some desire to read about it. I have no idea if they wrote about it.

Oh no. No sarcasm at all. Lots of people have terrorists with bombs hiding in ther garage. That happens every day. (by the way, they do not use only cell phones, they use whatever they have available and know how to use. They improvise (hence IED))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 PM

244 posts, read 1,227,606 times
We had one for 3 yrs and loved it. If I was late getting home from school or the kids forgot their key (which was pretty much every day)...then, they were able to get in. Just as long as they don't tell their friends the code

Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
We had one on a previous home for 13 years and on our current one for 4 years. Never had any problem. Just carry a key for an outside door in case of power outage. It was especially great for out of town guests who arrived while we were at work or our kids who lived out of state. Didn't have to worry about them getting in.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
How you get in depends on the type of door and opener. Sometimes you just pull hard.

Good luck on a screw-drive opener (the only decent ones).

Sometimes pull hard, let up a bit and pull hard again. Sometimes you slip a wire in and release the catch. Sometimes you simply use a signal code generator (Costs about $50. It is for figuring out codes for missing electornics remotes.

Me thinks you need to understand rolling codes, which virtually all GDO's use today. Freshman college stuff. Unless you are willing to spend all day, going through every possible code, or steal one of the remotes, in far less time, someone would either smash a window, or crowbar the door, where it doesn't matter whether you have a GDO or not.

At least that is what it said it is for, works better on garage doors. Sometimes it works fast, sometimes not at all). Sometimes, you just take a car jack and jack up the bottom of the door.

That would be true even if you locked it from the inside, and if you did do that, you need an alternate entrance.

The newer openers tend to be easier because they have poorly made gears that are easy to strip out with a little force. Sometimes you have to look at it a bit and think to figure it out. Frequently when I have needed to open someones garage door, I was trying to do it without damage. That takes a bit longer.

The screw-drives I have are all metal gears. You will have to work on it a while (and make a mess) to get in). In the meantime, you are on camera.

Read the manual that comes with the opener. Most of them state that it is not a security device. Look on the internet. I am not interested in looking it up for you, sorry. You can probably find articles about how easy it is to get in when there is just an electronic opener. There have been newscasts about this.

The fact is, I can usualy get into almost any house or garage in a few minutes, often in seconds. It depends on whether damage is a problem. I am not a thief, but the need to get into locked places has come up from time to time. Garage doors are one of the easiest, especially if damage is not a problem and there is an electric opener.

Front doors of a house are not a problem either, if damage is not an issue. Your point? The only issue is me standing at the other side of the door, and you have to make a decision to put your hands up, or bleed out.

Not all openers use rolling code encryption. Not all openers are new. The one on our carriage house is from 1950.

Geez... 1950. That is like saying "I only watch re-runs of I Love Lucy". Technology has changed a little. Still use skeleton keys for your house, or a stick to measure the oil level in your heating oil tank? There is no excuse for not utilizing reasonable modern technology.

I am not sure when the remote was added, but it is way old. We do not really have crime in our community, so it is not a concern, but that old opener is built like a military device. That door slides to the side anyway, so it is a comepletely different concept.

Mine fold out, with a locking bar in the center. A real carriage house (1876). Sucks in the winter.

No one is going to document when someone's garage door opened because of CB or other radio wave or light flashes. However there was a neighborhood where it happend to about 15 houses one day. People speculated that it was a UFO. Eventually someone figured out that it was from CB radios.

This is the 21st century. One day my Victrola started talking to me.
Do people even use CB's anymore?

I do not think it made the paper, but it may have, check the South Lyon Hearald from about 1977 through 1985 if you have some desire to read about it. I have no idea if they wrote about it.

The only coded application I ever broke (for the fun of it, and of course would never use it, other than to test it once), was the xenon strobe pattern (the light on top of fire/ambulance trucks) to force the traffic lights to change. Really, very basic (and only works in a particular town). Nothing like a high-speed video recorder and a PC to dissect it easily.

Oh no. No sarcasm at all. Lots of people have terrorists with bombs hiding in ther garage. That happens every day. (by the way, they do not use only cell phones, they use whatever they have available and know how to use. They improvise (hence IED))

Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times
We've had ours for 14 years, our neighbor has used theirs even longer. It's very handy.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No one is going to document when someone's garage door opened because of CB or other radio wave or light flashes.
It's actually fairly well documented where I live- a number of garage door opener manufacturers set the devices up to operate on a part of the radio spectrum that is supposed to be reserved for military use, and when Ye Olde Locale Air Force Test Wing started to use that spectrum, there were verified reports of garage doors opening and closing when no one had hit the buttons.

The newer openers are supposed to not use the military frequencies like some of the old ones did.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It's actually fairly well documented where I live- a number of garage door opener manufacturers set the devices up to operate on a part of the radio spectrum that is supposed to be reserved for military use, and when Ye Olde Locale Air Force Test Wing started to use that spectrum, there were verified reports of garage doors opening and closing when no one had hit the buttons.

The newer openers are supposed to not use the military frequencies like some of the old ones did.
Any even semi-recent GDO's operate at 315MHz (like almost the last decade and are not fooled by LMRS). Rolling codes (like we use in some internet protocols) would take you a long time to break. Either the 390MHz rolling, since 1997, or the 315MHZ rolling (common nowadays). A crowbar or sledgehammer would save you a lot of time. I worked on government high-security networks for years. Not too worried here that you can open my garage door (unless you use brute force). Geez, what do you want, FIPS-140 compliance on your GDO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House