Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,275 times

Advertisements

Hey all, long time listener first time caller.

I have a condo in Valley Glen and am interested in completely redoing the electrical. As part of this process I want to add a sub-panel on the 3rd floor. My main breaker box appears to be single phase 1/0. I don't have access to my main cut off; it's in an exterior utility shed and runs under a shared driveway before entering the unit.

I'd like to replace the 1/0 with 2/0. Provided the conduit is large enough to handle the cable, I need to know:

-Per code, what's the appropriate (see also: best) type cable to run to the main box?

-Per code, can I add a second disconnect down stream of the company switch, in my garage, so I have the ability to kill my own power?

I work with portable power systems, and am comfortable with residential power. I'm completely aware of the dangers of doing this myself and the respect electricity needs.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Other than the IRC (International Residential Code), you could have other code restrictions.
You'd be better off contacting the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) and asking them. And it would probably be a good idea to contact your service provider and have them give you an assessment of the current conditions and the possibility of upgrades and/or code changes.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
I suspect that the CONDO itself will have far more (negative) to say about this scheme
than the AHJ or POCO or the NEC will

Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLightingGuy View Post
:

-Per code, what's the appropriate (see also: best) type cable to run to the main box?
thhw copper

Quote:
:
-Per code, can I add a second disconnect down stream of the company switch, in my garage, so I have the ability to kill my own power?
code requires you to have access to the disconnect. if you go uprading the service though, you'll most likely have to place the disconnect on the exterior of your unit.

Quote:
:
I work with portable power systems, and am comfortable with residential power. I'm completely aware of the dangers of doing this myself and the respect electricity needs.

Thanks!
that may be, but i think you'll find pulling new feeders in by yourself a bit of a challenge. you'll need a buddy to help you. also, being that this is a condo, i'm not sure what you're local laws would have to say about pulling your own permit to do the work. if this were a house by itself, i don't think you'd have a problem.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Did you bring enough gum for everyone in the class? If you more than double your draw capabilities, and others do so as well, the entrance to the entire place may need to be replaced. Although your idea is fine, you may not be able to get it approved. One more vote for individual home ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House