Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

Has anyone installed a Bathroom Anywhere system like this one:

Amazon.com: Bathroom Anywhere 38758 Macerating Toilet System, Includes Toilet and Pump, White: Home Improvement

If so, what were your experiences? I am about to move into a house that doesn't have a master bath (horrors). I am, alas, at the age where I have to get up once a night to use "the facilities" and now I'll have to go out in the hall. I know, not that big a deal, but still. (My current house has a master bath so I have gotten used to that in the past 9 years!)

The master bedroom at the new house used to be one large room 25' by 13'6", but 8' of the 25' were enclosed to make 2 closets and lots of room for dressers, etc. So that "room" is about 8' x 13'6" and it is RIGHT next to a full bathroom. I thought that I would some point install a shower, sink (double vanity if it could fit), and toilet in part of that area, but then I ran across the Bathroom Anywhere system. It's nowhere near the cost of a full remodel, but of course it also doesn't look as good unless the macerator unit (what a lovely term -- it "macerates" waste) is installed inside of a wall, which is one option. (From what I've read, these systems are often used in basements or on slabs because there's no drilling into concrete.)

What I like about the unit is that you can attach a sink (not double sink, unless you get 2 units, I think) and shower to it as well, so I could conceivably have my master bath sooner than several years from now. (I plan to stay in this house for 20-25+ years, at least until I retire!)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:09 AM

744 posts, read 811,976 times
No clue, I saw one of those things at home depot and was wondering how the heck it works. Post #5 in this thread says to keep them away from bedrooms for noise reasons macerating toilet.......... - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 PM

lol, well, it would just be me or my SO using it and it would be in a separate room (albeit right next to the master bedroom) ... it's supposed to take just 3 seconds to "macerate" the waste and flush it away so I don't know why the noise would be considered a problem. (If I am awake using it it won't wake me up ... if he is awake using it he probably woke me up when he got up!)

I will have to see if my local HD has them just so I can look!

Old 04-28-2012, 12:28 PM

Actually I just looked at some diagrams on the company's main web site -- they actually mean "behind the wall" when they say "in the wall," so this definitely won't work for the master bath. Ah well.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:00 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
mascerators and pumps are usually used only when there is NO OTHER CHOICE
far more common is to trench (the yard) for pipe to connect to whatever other sewer pipe you have.

I've just finished doing this:
$300 for a guy with a mini-excavator, about $150 in pipe and fittings...
and about $150 for a laborer to refill and grade the trench after.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 PM

MrRational, I am curious, how difficult is it to add a bathroom next to an existing one (since the Bathroom Anywhere definitely won't work)? I mean just to do the plumbing connections (I would buy the toilet, sink, shower so would need them installed). Clearly there's plumbing right next to where I want to put the new items. The bathtub is on the common wall.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
MrRational, I am curious, how difficult is it to add a bathroom next to an existing one...
The only difficult part should be dealing with the dust.

Even if the house is all on a slab it's just a matter of digging.
If there's a basement or crawl space underneath... it's cake.
---

In my case I'm adding a bathroom at the basement level.
The sewer line runs lower than there outside but wasn't ever run under the slab.
I fixed that too.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Anywhere system?  (link!)-outside.jpg   Bathroom Anywhere system?  (link!)-inside.jpg  

Old 04-28-2012, 02:40 PM

I should have been clearer, the bedrooms & 2 baths are on the 2nd floor. There is a full basement, but it's 2 floors below where I want to add a bathroom. Does that make things harder?

Dust, I can deal with!! So if there is a bathroom right next door to where I want to add one (the shared wall is where the full tub is in the existing bathroom), it's a matter of opening up the wall and connecting the existing pipes to the new fixtures? Is this something any plumber could do?

Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
...it's a matter of opening up the wall (and floors) and connecting the existing pipes to the new fixtures?
Is this something any plumber could do?
This is as much about the carpentry work as the plumbing involved; maybe even more so.
But yeah, any good plumber should be able to manage the project...
(including hiring good carpenters and the electricians too).

This is yet another example of planning for the whole project...
before doing anything more than painting.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Where I used to rent, that house (smaller house than what I have now) has a master bathroom too...

Now, I do have to cross a little hallways but it is about that same distance as that master bath I used to have, so no big deal! At least the master bedroom is located on the same level as the Media room / family room is (formal living upstairs where the kids are), so its like a whole floor of entertainment to ourselves... and we love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House