Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 07:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,606,901 times

Advertisements

We're looking at building, and have inquired whether the builder can have the driveway and the walk (from driveway to house) stained and stamped at the time it is poured.

the salesperson is checking into it for me - and will get back to me with A) will they do it and B) how much will it cost.

Has anyone done stained/stamped concrete? What kind of price premium does that run? How has it held up (color flaking off, chipping, color fading)??

was it worth it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:28 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,787,227 times
Durability will likely be a function of your geographic location and the freeze-thaw cycle.

My experience with a stamped/coloured walkway and patio was that it looked great for the first 9 months. Over the course of the first winter, melting water found little pinholes in the sealer. The water then froze and popped out small flecks. This scenario has repeated itself every spring despite cosmetic repair to the pop outs and numerous re-sealings. Water is insidious stuff and will find its way into the smallest void.

After 7 years of returning to fix pop outs, the installer declared his warranty fulfilled, so all repairs are now burden of the homeowner.

A secondary concern has been the slipperyness of the walkway and patio when wet. The stamping resembles fieldstones, but the mold pad left a smooth surface that can be tricky when wet.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:31 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,606,901 times
Really good to know. I really like the idea of doing the drive and front walk, but to be honest, perhaps our money would be better spent doing an actual paver patio in the back!

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 PM

743 posts, read 3,911,714 times
I have been quoted $10 per square foot for molded/stained concrete... but that's just an estimate.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:12 PM

781 posts, read 3,825,108 times
Just my two cents......We had a neighbor that had their drive stained and stamped. The first time they did not like the color and they had it all re-done. The second time, they liked it but it sure stood out in the neighborhood.....it was wayyyyy too bright!!!

I don't know your circumstances but I would ask the contractor for some examples and do drive bys and see if it something you want to pay for and see how it looks compared to the rest of the homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House