Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,022,587 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing all this buzz about people preferring to live in a house as opposed to an apartment. I know people talk about all the cons about living in an apartment complex, but aren't houses more likely targets of burglaries?

People break in houses even when the occupant is home.

So are home invasions more likely to occur in houses as opposed to apartments, depending if the apartment complex is secured, well-walled, and gated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,599,223 times
I think the opposite is true. Last time I went to a crime website and researched incidents, the frequency of crime was greater in muti-family housing. There are also other factors to consider including the neighborhood and if there is active citizen involvement. Areas with crime watch citizen groups are successful in crime deterrent.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 AM

132 posts, read 543,235 times
I think you are comparing apples and onions. After all, houses can also be secured, walled, and gated, and apartments can be invaded while the occupants are home. It happens all the time.

If you are indicating you think houses would be more of a tempting target, somehow, you sort of undercut that by indicating you are comparing it to an apartment complex that is upper-class enough to have walls and gates (and therefore $$$). Which honestly I've never seen, btw. (Doormen and cameras, yes, but walls and gates? Sounds more like a gated community).

Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
I also think you have it backwards.

It's easier for a stranger to lurk around an apartment building than a neighborhood of privately owned homes.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,720,562 times
In my city, it happens a lot more in apartments. Even in gated complexes, you can't tell if the person walking around is a resident or someone looking to break in. And sometimes the people breaking in are the ones who live in other apartments in the complex.

A gate provides the illusion of security, but doesn't keep anyone out.

If you live in a car, you are unlikely to be the victim of a home invasion. But house or apartment, it can happen to anyone any time.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,865,071 times
My guess is that crime is more correlated with location and population density as opposed to house vs. apartment. It would be interesting to see if within the same city X mile radius, crime is higher or lower in apartments vs. single family houses. My guess is that wouldn't matter.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,591,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
My guess is that crime is more correlated with location and population density as opposed to house vs. apartment. It would be interesting to see if within the same city X mile radius, crime is higher or lower in apartments vs. single family houses. My guess is that wouldn't matter.
A crime map would only be helpful if it listed the crimes. In my area, apartment parking lots are supermarkets for thieves, so while whatever you leave in your car is fair game, it doesn't mean the apartment is really unsafe, just your car.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,616,741 times
One thing I was told is that thieves like easy highway/main road access and egress. Reagardless of location, even in very secure/safe towns, the majority of breakins occur close to main highways/roads.

Safety 101. The type of structure is less important then its location.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,177,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I've been hearing all this buzz about people preferring to live in a house as opposed to an apartment. I know people talk about all the cons about living in an apartment complex, but aren't houses more likely targets of burglaries?

People break in houses even when the occupant is home.

So are home invasions more likely to occur in houses as opposed to apartments, depending if the apartment complex is secured, well-walled, and gated?
I think it depends upon the style of apartment buildings you're thinking of and whether you're talking about burglaries or home invasions. For example, many apartment buildings in NYC are at least 6 and often 12+ stories tall, with front doors made of solid steel. Only the lower level units and the top floor units are easy targets, since most burglars won't climb the outside walls like Spiderman in order to gain window access. (Unless, of course, the building has exterior fire escapes, which provide easy access to any level windows.) However, this doesn't mean home invasions don't occur. It's not at all unheard of for someone to be followed off an elevator and entry gained by forcing themself in while the tenant is opening their front door.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM

416 posts, read 628,107 times
I've never had a break-in, but have lived in areas where they commonly occurred. The places that threw parties tended to have the most break-ins.

My suggestions would be: keep your home visible, if neighbors can't see your house burglars won't be seen breaking in; don't have strangers over often, if I as a neighbor can't tell who lives there and who doesn't, I won't call the cops when I see someone slip into a window(For all I know a roommate forgot their keys); get some kind of door jamb armor to help protect your doors from kick-ins, and keep your doors and windows locked! (That includes the garage door if you have one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House