Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
I'd take a bathroom over a useless open foyer any day.
I agree.

The 2 story foyer, ugh, waste to heat and cool. Painting / wall papering is a real chore, not to mention not everyone has the ladders to do the chore.

The usual window above the door, is a real PITA to clean, or hang curtains or whatever. Then if you do have the chandelier hanging, that too must be hung and cleaned and bulbs chnaged...

It, to me is just a waste of space to look at. I rather have the bathroom, or even a closet....anything

but void open space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It would be ideal if the bathroom above the foyer could be a bathroom connecting two bedrooms. Then only two bedrooms need to share the hallway bath.
No-there will still be 4 bedrooms upstairs sharing 1 bathroom. It's just that 2 of them will be connected to the bathroom. The house is a big house and will likely be marketed as 6 bedroom house, thus attracting larger families. Although 6BR, 3.5BA sounds good on paper the layout of the house will make it difficult to sell.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:41 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
So, we bought a house with a two story foyer and over the last couple of years realized that we needed space more. The flyer area was not that big so it was mind of like an elevator shaft. I think if it were larger with a more grand stair, it would be more important to keep.

Also, in our particular case, we knew there was an additional 7'x5 space above the downstairs bath that we could access. We started out thinking about doing a sitting.area but realized closet space was what we really needed.

We went from this:

To this:

And this is the space we got:

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 05-22-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 04:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
No-there will still be 4 bedrooms upstairs sharing 1 bathroom. It's just that 2 of them will be connected to the bathroom.
]
That's not the way I understand it (or maybe you misunderstood what I meant about it being ideal if the added bath above the foyer could join two bedrooms).

Current design: There are 3 bedrooms, a master bedroom, and a bonus room. One hallway bathroom and a master bathroom.

Added-bathroom-above-foyer plan joining two bedrooms ideas would be: 2 bedrooms with a shared bath, 1 bedroom and bonus room sharing hallway bath, and the master bedroom wtih a master bath.

The reason I like the idea of the added bath joining two bedrooms is the original added-bath-above-foyer plan is for the added bath to be a private bath for one bedroom. That would leave three rooms sharing the hallway bath. My idea allows for no more than two bedrooms to be sharing a bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House