Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

clothesline, is the best method.

It does the same thing as gas and electric dryers, and other than the cost of 2 pulleys and rope and a bag of clothespins, it is free.

so simple, yet everyone forgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 01:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
The house I bought had lines for both, 220 for electric dryer and a gas outlet already in place. At the time, cost of running seemed to be rather similar and the electric was cheaper upfront (marginally but still over a 10% premium for the gas) and a known quantity to me (grew up with electric dryer, never spent a lot of time using a gas one except coin-op). Then the gas got cheaper and electricity a bit more expensive, and when I look at my electric bills I wonder. Guessing I would have saved money had I gotten the gas dryer, but it appears in a few cases I might be annoyed by how long the gas dryer takes. (I vaguely remember this sometimes with the coin-ops.)

Still, toss in an extra grand, and I'm not sure it's worth it. Might be close until you extend it out over a really long time frame like 15+ years, when the gas is probably going to be obviously less even with the $1000 initial cost thrown in. If you want to get into the math you'll have to find a stat for roughly how much gas is used in an average load of drying laundry vs how much electricity, then extend that out to a week, then x52 to get an annual difference. Once you have annual it will be obvious how long of a time span you might need to recoup the $1000. Your electric rate looks moderately high. I'm not sure about gas, just not familiar with the gas pricing enough to compare.

I'm going to venture a guess that it would be unusual if the gas would be over $100 less per year to run, maybe with that many loads and if the gas is really cheap. If it is around $100/year less to run, that's 10.5 years before you see any savings if you're outlaying a grand to run the pipe. (BTW, get more estimates, I wonder if it really needs to cost that much? I know plumbing gets a bit pricey but maybe you can cut that cost a little.)

Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie777e View Post
> Cost of electricity- about $0.13 per kWh
> Cost of natural gas- $.1977 per ccf
With those rates the NG is a little more than half the cost on a per BTU basis. That's without any adjustment for efficiency, are gas dryers vented or ventless (I'm not referring to the air vent). Possibly vented with the air outlet?

Long term it certainly will be cheaper assuming the gas is always cheaper than the electric but with a $1000 install its going to be looooooooong term of many years. How much really depends on how often you dry clothes and how many BTU's are required per load.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:46 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
If you already had a gas line in place in the laundry room, I'd say go for gas. But without a line I think it will take you a really long time to make your money back, particularly since your electric estimate is too high. If you're really paying that much per kwh, you need to shop for a new provider.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If you're really paying that much per kwh, you need to shop for a new provider.
Electric rates are all over the place in different states from lows of 8 cents up to almost 18 cents. 13 cents is a little bit above the average of 11.5 cents for 2012

EIA - Electricity Data

----edit----

Ah I see they are in Texas same as you. Average rate in Texas is a little above 11 cents.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Electric rates are all over the place in different states from lows of 8 cents up to almost 18 cents. 13 cents is a little bit above the average of 11.5 cents for 2012

EIA - Electricity Data

----edit----

Ah I see they are in Texas same as you. Average rate in Texas is a little above 11 cents.
They can do better than $0.13/kwh. I pay less than ten cents per kwh.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 AM

12 posts, read 208,036 times
Quote:
If you already had a gas line in place in the laundry room, I'd say go for gas. But without a line I think it will take you a really long time to make your money back, particularly since your electric estimate is too high. If you're really paying that much per kwh, you need to shop for a new provider.
We can't shop for a new provider because we're in a cooperative area. CoServ is our only option for gas and electricity service.

I think we've decided to stick with electric for now and possibly see if we can get better quotes for extending a gas line to the laundry room. The $1000 estimate was just an estimate from the guy who inspected the house we're buying, who called his plumber friend and described the layout of the rooms affected- it wasn't a quote from a plumber who was physically at the house to give us a quote.

Thanks for all your help/advice, everyone.

Take care!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie777e View Post
We can't shop for a new provider because we're in a cooperative area. CoServ is our only option for gas and electricity service.

I think we've decided to stick with electric for now and possibly see if we can get better quotes for extending a gas line to the laundry room. The $1000 estimate was just an estimate from the guy who inspected the house we're buying, who called his plumber friend and described the layout of the rooms affected- it wasn't a quote from a plumber who was physically at the house to give us a quote.

Thanks for all your help/advice, everyone.

Take care!
That's bizarre, I never heard of someone not being able to switch providers. What's a "cooperative area"?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Look at the plate on the dryer. Maybe around 3 kw? Maybe up to 5? That is around $0.50-$0.65 per hour running. How much do you run the dryer? 3 hours a week? You are talking roughly $1.50 - $2 a week in electricity costs to run the dryer.

If the person quoted above is correct, and a gas dryer would use 1/2 the energy, you're still at a payback period of WELL OVER 10 years.

Even if the gas dryer was free to operate (it's not, cost of gas plus electricity to run tumbler) payback would be roughly 5 years, which is pretty long, and it's obviously not free to run a gas dryer.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
That's bizarre, I never heard of someone not being able to switch providers.
In many states you can now choose who buy electric from. The primary company in your area that owns the wires still provides you with and bills you for distribution. In other words if they were bringing electric to you in a truck you don't have a choice but to pay one company for the delivery service but you can choose from many companies for the product on the truck. For obvious reasons the monopoly remains on the delivery service.

Quote:
What's a "cooperative area"?
The utility is owned by the customers/public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House