Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:46 PM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

Getting ready to install some HW on our main floor.
As we get ready to install, I've been reading about squeaky flooring.

Is have been suggested to lay down some sort of foam or padding to prevent squeaks and noise.

Started looking at Quiet Walk and it seems like it got great reviews.

Anyone here have experience with this before?
Suggestions or tips before I start?
Is there something better I should look at?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 03:26 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Sounds like a gimmick to me!
Especially considering that most squeeks in a floor are not the floor covering itself- but the floor joists and/or the subfloor. So, laying that stuff over the subfloor certainly isn't going to make squeeks disappear.
If the "foundation" isn't any good- why throw good money after bad?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I agree, if a REAL wood floor is installed properly it won't squeak.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 23,710 times
I don't know about any squeeks in the floors, but I do know that hardwood floors can be noisy. does anyone have any info on how to quiet down hardwood floors in the "next door" condo living area? our bedroom backs up to their livingroom and the kids run and we hear the vibrations/noises. Any suggestions for them on how to re-do their floors? Thank you.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:14 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Suggestions for 'them' to re-do their floors?
Carpet. Bwa-ha-ha!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
I used Quiet Walk for my flooring (finished installation recently). I don't know about squeaks.... my floor doesn't squeak but it could be because I installed it properly? (I hope!)

I can say that the noise made from walking across the floor does not reverberate nearly as much as the previous floor (which had only the felt paper).

In case it matters, the underlayment I purchased was 46¢/sq ft. Pretty cheap if you ask me. It had a vapor barrier and some sort of fibrous material (soft like foam, but not squishy - almost like a thick lint).

Old 05-22-2011, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 21,507 times
Quiet walk is a great product. We have a 1949 built home and the HW floors were mostly squeeky. I ran some long brad nails into some planks, layed down the Quiet Walk and installed the laminate flooring in the opposite patten and it totally fixed my squeeky floor issue. I still have the installed flooring going well for about 8years now. I am getting ready to install carpet tiles in some other rooms and will be using Quiet walk for my extra padding. By the way it a great vapor barrier for kitchen floors.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,288,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecreek View Post
I don't know about any squeeks in the floors, but I do know that hardwood floors can be noisy. does anyone have any info on how to quiet down hardwood floors in the "next door" condo living area? our bedroom backs up to their livingroom and the kids run and we hear the vibrations/noises. Any suggestions for them on how to re-do their floors? Thank you.
We used 1/4 inch cork underlayment. About $100 for 200 square feet from Home Depot. Dampens the noise, stop vibrations from being felt, and keeps the heat in the room during the winter.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 PM

367 posts, read 1,073,710 times
Quiet walk is good, but squeaks can come from other places too - are you on a concrete slab or raised foundation?
If it isn't on a slab, a lot of squeaks can come from between the subflooring and the joists. Access the crawlspace, equip yourself with a product like liquid nails, and get that in between the subfloor and the joist where possible. Then nail the subfloor down to the joists like nails were going out of style. And use the ring shank nails. Or even better, screw it down, but no cheapo drywall screws! After that you are all set to lay your HW floor.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,071 times
I am a flooring professional, and we use Quiet Walk under all our floating floors. It is an excellent product. Generally, floor squeaks in hardwood floors come from the subfloor joints rubbing, nails moving, or joists moving against the subfloor. Quiet Walk does have a noise reduction factor by default, since it is basically a felt-like, or synthetic horsehair material backed with a moisture barrier. I wouldn't buy it for that purpose, though. Your problem is most likely in the subfloor.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House