Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 02:34 PM

320 posts, read 2,515,622 times

Advertisements

Hi All

About a year and a half ago we had the interior of our home professionally painted with assorted Benjamin Moore Aura paints, matte/flat finish (not eggshell). All came out very nice. We had paint left over, and now and then I'll use it to touch up a spot or two -- the color and sheen match is usually indistinguishable from the original application.

Yesterday, I had to do a tiny bit of touch up again using the original paints -- the color has dried to a match, but the sheen is a bit different when viewing the wall at an angle (which is how you view the wall entering the room) -- the sheen of the touch up area looks a bit shiner -- almost like eggshell vs. the original matte. It was pretty warm in the room wen I did the touch up, so I repainted the touch up this morning when the room was cool, but the result is the same.

I know sometimes too many layers of paint can change the sheen. I still have some of the original contractor's white flat paint from the original wall color. Would it be worth testing a small area... maybe put down some of the original white flat paint, let it dry, then touch up over that? Or should I let the paint be a week to see if then sheen settles down?

Actually, before we had the professional paint our home, my wife & I painted a few test swatches on the wall here and there. Well, when the pro painter painted our walls, he painted right over the swatches (didn't prime them) and those swatch areas also view a bit "shiner" at an angle.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,943,296 times
Paint formulations are not stable forever. The stuff that makes paint "flat" or "eggshell" eventually settles out suspension and even super vigorous shaking won't break up all the clumpy. It may be that you have found the "shelf life" of the Aura product that was left over. I would try a fresh quart...

Old 05-21-2012, 05:23 PM

320 posts, read 2,515,622 times
Thanks, Chet. Was wondering that as well re: the particulate that allows for the matte finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House